What's it like to live with a Mustang as a full time daily driver?

It’s a good car for a DD. Not the best gas mileage but that’s not expected for a Mustang.

I'm looking at a 23 Ecoboost Mustang for a new full time daily driver. Not interested in burn outs or aggressive driving, but I DO want to drive this car as my only, which means for my daily highway commutes, running errands and driving the wife to church. I find myself at a stage of life where I now could daily drive a car like this, but I'm wondering if I actually want to. I've always had more functional vehicles, sedans or four door Jeeps.

I have some concerns about winter, but it sounds like it will be okay with proper winter tires and decent winter driving skills (I was raised in SD).

For those of you who have done it, what's it like to live with a car like this full time? Give me the good, the bad and the ugly!

Thanks!

One of our techs has a 2.3 stand he really likes it, but he's 34.

As you can guess not so great in the snow he got stuck once this season, but otherwise made it..

I'll grab a pict out of the lot when Im back in town.

I’m definitely not decided on the car, other than my interest in the V8 is zero. Great feedback here from a more balanced crowd which has been very helpful! Keep it coming.

My brother did this for years... had a 45 min commute in DFW in/just outside of Rush hour.
Started with a 93 Mustang LX, with the old NA 2.3.
replaced that with a 98 GT...after a few months grew tired of the manual in Rush Hour, switched to his Pickup. stayed with the truck until gas got expensive in '05.
bought a new neon.
2010 he sold me the neon, and bought a Used 06 GT (Auto). drove that daily until he bought a '13 Challenger (Auto). (still kept both mustangs)
Fall of '15, he traded in the Challenger on a '16 EB Mustang (Auto) which he loved....unfortunately, it developed a rather annoying Driveline vibration that none of the local dealers could figure out a cause. it was bad enough that after about 6 months he traded it in on a '15 Challenger.

hopefully they have that issue figured out by now....

a few months later he moved back here to Ohio, sold the 06 back to carmax, shipped the 98 and the 15 Challenger, and Drove his truck up.
that was 2016.
Still has the 98 Mustang in his Garage (literally only 15k mi) his 07 Dakota (only used to tow his Lawn mower to a lot he owns 20 mi away), and his DD is Currently a '17 2.0EB Escape ( traded a 14 Volt on it.) but he doesn't drive much anymore. since the begining of Covid he's been WFH. (Fully single, no kids)

Last edited:
Geez, what's wrong with having a V8. I thought the rumble of that V8 was one of its biggest attractions.
Nothing wrong with a V8 it just doesn’t align with my goals for a full time driver. Can’t say I found the sound of the EcoBoost one of the cars strong points though.

KC I went for a food run and had a white stang in front of me and a black one behind me.
IMG_20230423_163203076.jpg

I don't own or drive one but I imagine it is a good DD, the engine is smaller and lighter than a V8 so it should handle well. 4 banger do not make a ton of power at low rpm with only a little pedal so light snow should be no problem. The engine has some nice qualities and internals, there is a lot to like about this engine IMO.

I'm 70. I drove Mustang GTs for 30 years. No problem. I drive a WRX now. I would never get a 4cyl Mustang. Fine in my WRX but no bueno on a Mustang.

Drove a 96 GT for almost 15 years, after the first couple of years i got rid of the stock exhaust and cats and put flowmasters and catless H pipe. Neighbors hated me in the morning, it was impossible to drive on the highway without ear protection. It was fun to drive, had to buy a bigger vehicle as kids got older, I thought about keeping it to drive it on weekends but the insurance rate was outrageous even for just liability so decided to trade it in for the 4runner, sometimes I miss driving it, i may buy one when i retire :D .
Like a few others have said, i would consider the v8, Good luck .

What are, "[your] goals for a full time driver"?

If I could easily answer that I probably wouldn't be so conflicted! :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, something sporty and fun, but reasonable on gas, insurance and upkeep yet still comfortable enough as to not be annoying for the 90% of the driving which is commuting and errands.

Back