What's in your trash can

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do most of my grocery shopping at Sam's Club. I have a lot of cardboard and paper to recycle from the products I buy in bulk and I am very OCD about it. I can't stand when my wife slips up and throws a soft drink can or something paper in the trash.

I'm not sure when I became so OCD about it. Well, probably when my local parish beefed up the size of our recycle bins. It is no longer a bin, its more of a full sized trash can.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
...a raccoon.

About a week ago the lady that lives next door to our firestation asked me and a fellow firefighter if we would help her bag a dead raccoon that was in her driveway.
We did. The poor thing was all curled up like it was sleeping. I felt bad for it.

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
I do most of my grocery shopping at Sam's Club. I have a lot of cardboard and paper to recycle from the products I buy in bulk and I am very OCD about it. I can't stand when my wife slips up and throws a soft drink can or something paper in the trash.

I'm not sure when I became so OCD about it. Well, probably when my local parish beefed up the size of our recycle bins. It is no longer a bin, its more of a full sized trash can.

Same here about the OCD, and yes, around here all the recycle bins are 50 gal size, vs about 1/2 of the residential trash can being 35 gal size.

My dad used to whine about having to recycle and getting only a few bucks back every billing cycles, and would refuse to sort the recycle to benefit the evil corporate and union of the garbage industry... until one day they start charging by the size of your trash can, and he would "recycle" everything... even when he was not too sure whether something is recyclable.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
What's in your trash can

I put the evidence in other people's trash cans.

Quote:
What's in your trash can

Trash is what is in my trash can.

Then on Monday a trash truck picks it up and takes it to the dump.

Works for me. The only thing that gets recycled are Aluminum cans (after I fill them up with water and shoot them)

Plastic bottles also get filled up and shot. Then thrown away.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
The only thing that gets recycled are Aluminum cans (after I fill them up with water and shoot them)

Shooting bottles and cans renders them unsuitable for recycling?

Originally Posted By: moribundman
The only thing that gets recycled are Aluminum cans (after I fill them up with water and shoot them)

Last time I visited a friend in Utah, she told me there is no such service as recycle, even for stuff like Aluminum cans and plastic bottles.

What's in your trash can

I put the evidence in other people's trash cans.

We used to have a neighbour that did that.

Last time I visited a friend in Utah, she told me there is no such service as recycle, even for stuff like Aluminum cans and plastic bottles.
You are correct about the bottles.

Cans go to a place where they pay you for them.

Bottles go to the dump. (that is the parts that I can find)

Bill

When I lived in Adelaide, they had 5c.

There were no bottles or cans anywhere...us kids did the collecting, and returns were at the local shop.

We don't have a refund on empty bottle anymore...I wish we did.As kids it was good free money.And when I was older....we loaded the trailer with all our empties at times,and took them back,and got more beer with the money so we could carry on drinking.

Silk, I think that a refund on empties is the most sensible "tax" out there.

If you are lazy enough to throw away 5 or 10c, then some kid who's not sitting in front of a video game is 5 or 10c richer.

Although, at the cricket, we were probably royal pains, hanging around vulture like waiting for some poor bloke to finish his VB.

5 cents was half a wagon wheel back then.

We drank out of big bottles back when there was a deposit - stubbies were for girls who couldn't drink a big bottle before it went flat.They came in wooden crates of a dozen...I remember carrying a crate on my lap on the back of a bike a few times.You very seldom saw a smashed beer bottle in those days,now I can't walk barefoot around town.

Actually I did a stint picking up household trash (never use the term garbage as this offends "sanitary engineers" - garbage goes in the swill bucket, underground, in your backyard) and you better be carefull as the clowns on the back of the truck will paw through your refuse if they think its "interesting". More than once I was summoned to the rear to view some erotic treasure that had been " uncovered ".

Originally Posted By: H2GURU
you better be carefull as the clowns on the back of the truck will paw through your refuse if they think its "interesting"

That type trash goes also into my neighbor's can.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back