What's in your trash can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
Killjoy.

LOL.gif

Ever wonder why my food cost is only $80 per person per month?
LOL.gif

Just kidding. Wife is a clean nut/freak because she work in a bio-tech company, and I have to use gloves for any auto related works. Recently I wasted 4-5 pairs to replace a couple oil pan gaskets, tried washing them but they got cut too easily.

I classified the other kind of rubber (the Mori rubber) bio-hazard.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
The only problem with recycling garbage these days is it takes more resources to recycle most things than the resources that are being recycled, and you end up increasing overall resource depletion. Most of the time, it's just another Ethanol. Steel cans cost many times more to recycle than the value of steel contained in them. An aluminium can is worth about two seconds of minimum wage labour, and it takes longer then that to divert and collect one can.

Depends on how you do it. I still think sending these stuff to 3rd world for sorting and then buy the material back is a more efficient way. Let's face it, human labor is cheap and the unemployment is high, so why not do it over there and increase the quality of the sort? Then just ship the raw material to China and made the Walmart life-cycle complete.

Last time I check homeless on the street can sort through dumpsters for those 5 cents refund containers fairly efficiently, and they are not making minimum wages.

You also forgot to factor in the political cost of having new landfill developed.

I don't see why folks can't work for welfare, WIC, section 8 housing, etc funds.

If folks are getting check from the government, they can pick it up after they've sorted the recycling, picked up cans and bottles from the roadside, etc.

Why not make trash and recycling the "new jobs" program. Seems we have plenty of trash. Probably more work in that than in building cars right now.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I don't see why folks can't work for welfare, WIC, section 8 housing, etc funds.

If folks are getting check from the government, they can pick it up after they've sorted the recycling, picked up cans and bottles from the roadside, etc.

Why not make trash and recycling the "new jobs" program. Seems we have plenty of trash. Probably more work in that than in building cars right now.

This would damage their dignity.

Recycling, at least, makes me "feel good" about some of the trash I generate. I know it's not all magically being resused with no loss of energy. But at least now I only send one bag of trash straight to the landfill instead of about 5. Of course, who knows how much energy is used transporting the recycle stuff hither and yonder?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: javacontour

This would damage their dignity.

Which apparently is worth even more than the environment.

I thought this was the only planet we had
grin2.gif

I don't get how some of our neighbors generate so much trash. We have one of those big green rolling containers, rarely is it filled and we have 4.5 in our home as my daughter spends time here and with her mother.

Our neighbors are a family of four and fill TWO of those things. Yes the youngest are both still in diapers. So that's going to be some amount of waste.

There are others who have two containers, and fill them up, no more than we have in our home.

Once a week, I take the recycling to the local recycling center when I'm out running errands. I fill the trunk. Even turned plastic cat litter containers into recycling bins for stuff.

Reduce, reuse and recycle.

Not being wasteful also helps keep money in my wallet as well.

"Everything" (except hazarduus chemicals) is in our trash cans. No forced recyling here -- you actually have to pay the city more $ to recycle. All lawn clippings stay on the lawn. Tree limbs/branches get hauled to city for mulch. Doggie doo doo gets spead on the field behind our home.

I'm amazed at how some families consistently throw out a large amount of garbage every week. They must buy a lot of stuff. Two of us produce one can of garbage every one to two weeks. Here is what I recycle:

- Kitchen and yard waste go to a huge compost pile. My garden thanks me for this.
- Paper products (including junk mail and milk cartons) get incinerated.
- All steel waste and used oil is dropped off at work.
- Recyclables get picked up by the city (newsprint, plastic, glass, etc.).

There's not a whole lot for me to throw into the garbage.
Oh, and let's not forget my signature!

The dirty secret about "recycling" programs is that when scrap prices are low it ALL goes to landfill, even after sorting.

Garbage in Toronto is sorted by unionized employees making about eighteen bucks an hour, though machines do most of the picking.

I see a lot of people mention kitty litter - do cats not go outside in the US? When housing training kittens we have had kitty litter....it goes in the garden,they do their business in there anyway,a bit more does no harm.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

No, I have never been wondering about that, Renfield.

You could probably cut down on the cost of food. Just just have to find a way to nourish your body through osmosis.

Silk, the majority of cat owners just keep a litter box somewhere in the house, and the cats dont go outside. Usually put in an area like the basement, or out of sight from normal areas of the house. Nobody wants a runaway cat!

Can you recycle metal (other than alum) in recycle bins? Im sure its diff from place to place, but I never thought of throwing screws, pieces of steel, etc. in the recycle bin.

Im just glad I finally found a place to take used coolant and oil filters!

ACT had a problem with a rapidly filling landfill, that had only 5 or so years of operation before it was full.

They got a bit innovative, and set up a recycling centre at the entrance.

When you go to the tip, you pass the oil recycling point. Upend your 20l drum over a trough, pick up an empty, and take it home to fill up.

Then you go past the paper, cardboard, Al, Steel, mixed metal bins.

There's a place to take green waste. A private company was given the space, and they mulch it/compost it/ create top soil, and sell it.

A company called "revolve" was established to take unemployed, who have scavenger's rights to the tip. They became employed, and will take and sell anything remotely useful.

By the time you get to the tip gates, you shouldn't have anything left that wouldn't fit in your home bin, but if you do, you pay $15 to get through the gate.

5 years became 20 plus.

The amount of cardboard I send for recycling is pretty amazing some weeks.

We try to be green in our ops, ALL our dunnage after one year of operating has come (re)used, we never have bought any. We do use some plastic bags for small parts, but in oil mass terms (read carbon footprint) it's minute.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: PandaBear

No, I have never been wondering about that, Renfield.

You could probably cut down on the cost of food. Just just have to find a way to nourish your body through osmosis.

ROFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back