What's in your grease gun???

s-l400.jpg

Gained a grease gun that had crusty lubri-plate in it.
I bought Valvoline Palladium NGLI 2 for that gun, and another tube of Cerulean for another grease gun, as it was getting low. Not sure how I'm up to 4 of these...

Traveller Marine & Off-Road from Tractor Supply:
  • Overbased Calcium Sulfonate (OBCS)
  • Extreme Pressure (EP)
  • NLGI #2 GC-LB
  • Synthetic-based
Has proven to be kind of perfect for everything I need to grease.

Schaeffer's 221 #2
It's my all-around grease: ball joints, bicycle wheel bearings, firearms, etc. When it runs out I might switch to their 274.

Picked up my grease gun for the first time since the weather turned warm, and it clearly had Mobil 1 in it, as the red carrier oil leaked out all over my clothes, shoes and garage floor. What a mess. Replaced with a fresh tube of Valvoline synthetic.
Why does it do that? I hate that. It is in my grease gun now but I will move to Valvoline or a marine grade grease.

Grease separation or oil bleed is a "thing" that all greases are subject to, at least to some extent. Some greases do it more than others.

Grease separation or oil bleed is a "thing" that all greases are subject to, at least to some extent. Some greases do it more than others.

I've not had another do it. The Mobil 1 grease leaks everywhere, in all temps from cold to hot. It is just a stinkin' mess. I've got Polaris and Supertech greases in other guns and they have never done it.

I'd love to hear why it is formulated the way it is. I would hope there is some big advantage that makes it worth it. Otherwise, I'd love to see them engineer this characteristic out of it.

decided to try the Rotella Extreme temp grease on my 2 compact tractors today. its like a light brown/gold color, seems to be a bit tackier then the Mystik High temp that I normally use on most things.

Valvoline Ford spec. multi-purpose with moly - it's some incredibly tacky stuff and I've not seen evidence of any separation. I switched from Mobil 1 just because it separated easily.

Valvoline SynPower

Hasn't dripped, moly fortified, NLGI #2 and it's readily available at Autozone. I use it in everything.

I picked up a tube of this after my Mobil1 ran out. So far I like it. Hasn’t dripped like the mobil1, and as mentioned, moly#2, can’t complain.

I've not had another do it. The Mobil 1 grease leaks everywhere, in all temps from cold to hot. It is just a stinkin' mess. I've got Polaris and Supertech greases in other guns and they have never done it.

I'd love to hear why it is formulated the way it is. I would hope there is some big advantage that makes it worth it. Otherwise, I'd love to see them engineer this characteristic out of it.
I thought it was just me, I swear I tightened every piece of my gun trying to get it to stop!

Omni green grease.
Lots of comments about grease separation and I found that how the gun is stored can make a difference. I took two sections of PVC and made a storage rack, the bottom end caps are not glued so that I can easily clean up pooled grease. The grease seems to separate less and what does leak out is easier to deal with.
1609551265083.jpg

Back