What's in this Thai ground chicken that made me run from the stove?

Was browning it off in a skillet and after a minute or two, I couldn't stand it any longer. It was like chopping onions but more intense. Not sure what tear gas feels like but this must be pretty close. Had to splash water into my eyes it was so strong. Came back wearing googles to finish it. What ingredients would have caused this?

MS_Brick-Thai-Back_v2_2400x.png

Vinegar mixed with salt makes a type of acid I believe. Did you salt and pepper the mixture during browning? I really don’t know.

Maybe the fermented soy sauce was fermented too long.

Could also be a missing ingredient. The same thing which is sprayed from low flying airplanes at night..

I've never used it before, but rosemary contains terpenes (like pinene, limonene, etc.) I'd bet rosemary extract would have a high concentration of that stuff. Add heat and I'd guess it would cause irritation.

Looks like just about everything on that ingredient list would cause eyes to water though, probably overloaded every receptor in your nose and eyes! 😭

Turmeric or the dried cilantro mostly.. but that's quite a potent mixture overall so probably just the mixture. Since my wife is Lao she makes dishes like this frequently. I have no idea how the paint stays on the walls. I've learned when to run.

I have no idea how the paint stays on the walls. I've learned when to run.
Yeah, it permeates all fabrics - the house smells for days and weeks afterwards.

I try to politely ask my wife to cook that kind of stuff on the patio instead, but I feel bad when it's 10 F outside.

I only like cooking smells while the meal is being made and served. As soon as I'm done eating, I want all the cooking smells gone, STAT! :)

Could the chef have rubbed his eye(s) -with a spiced hand- whilst cooking?

I was merely warming sliced, fresh bell peppers and something hit my eyes and dropped me to me knees. I grunted so loud the neighbors came up the stairs to check. A seed....a small burst of strong juice...a pop of butter taking something along with it?

Back