What's a good all-around wax that's durable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I recently got rid of some cars that were shabby and neglected and got some with paint that is in good condition. I'm driving a 2006 Volvo S40; a few dents here and there but the clear coat is shiny and no rust anywhere.

I'd like to keep the paint looking good. The car is parked out in the sun every day, so something that will protect the clearcoat from UV damage is my top priority, I guess. It's not a show car, and I don't want to spend a crazy amount of time on it. I just want to take care of the finish and keep it looking good for several years to come. Our other cars are a similar story.

I had been using NuFinish and it's OK I guess. The durability doesn't seem to be awesome, and it's not super-easy to apply. The way it marks up black trim isn't great. The price is good and it's easy to find.

I used some Turtle Wax Seal n Shine on our family van and it was really easy to apply. The beading is excellent so far - not sure if it really protects the paint as well as more traditional waxes and sealers, though. It seems too easy...?

What should I go with...? I'm looking for easy to apply, lasts a long time, will protect the clear coat, and prefer less expensive and not hard to find in stores.

I'm just like you. My cars stay parked outside and I have no interest in detailing them every week to look like museum pieces. I use Turtle Wax Wax & Dry during regular washes and Meguiar's Gold Class or Ultimate Wax when the seasons change; all affordable, easy-to-use products I pick up at WM.

For paste wax, Collinite 476s is pretty hard to beat IMO- inexpensive and durable. The Collinite 845 wax as mentioned above is the liquid equivalent AFAIK.

Well, learned something...never heard of Collinite 845... did some research and read the reviews...sounds like the best wax on the market.

So I'm going to buy some on Amazon.

Originally Posted by Crashbox
For paste wax, Collinite 476s is pretty hard to beat IMO- inexpensive and durable.
Sadly never and no one time on my cars
confused.gif

But FinishKare 1000P Hi-Temp was/is.

The Collinite 845 wax as mentioned above is the liquid equivalent AFAIK.
Yep.

I put TW Seal and Shine on my work car. It sits outside 24/7, and it lasted for about 2.5 months based on the water beading alone. Water is still sheeting off the paint and beading in spots though.

Collinite 845 is a great wax. Beautiful shine and long lasting. I haven't used 476s yet, but everything I've read suggests it is even longer lasting than 845.

It is very important to not let it stay on too long. Buff it off as soon as it is dry. If left on too long, it is really hard to get off. But if you buff it off soon after it dries, it is actually very easy to work with. Following this one tip will make all the difference of your experience with 845.

I did the TW shine, month later did the Colonite 845 over a same small section of the hood...could easily see a darker luster in the black paint.

845. A little dab goes a long way. Do a section and wipe off.

I'm with BHopkins. May try the 476.

You won't regret the 845.

Last edited:
Just another vote here for collinite 845 and 476s. I used to use 476s when I hand waxed, now I use 845 with a griots random orbital. Both are fantastic.

After a lot of research on the detailing boards, deliberations of what may address my needs with the limitations I have (like no access to a garden hose or electricity in the parking lot), I went with Klasse AIO and Klasse High Gloss Sealant. Some recommended me to top Klasse Sealant with Collinite 845 or 476 but on the detailing boards, I was recommended against as Klasse sealant is good enough for the job and nobody knows if these waxes will bind the sealant. (But I am toying with the idea of waxing half of the car and leaving half as is to see what works best)

From your description, your car looks in great shape. Mine is not, due to the limitations mentioned above. I would never wash the car in the parking lot. Only automated carwash was the option, along with the swirls as a free bonus. I didn't do any paint corrections but after Klasse AIO application, the swirl marks are not as visible as they used to be. Since the car is never detailed, its been 3 weeks, I am working on it, panel by panel, and I am happy with the results.
For the winter use, I have made a rinseless wash with Wolfgang Uber Rinseless wash (3oz/gallon of distilled water). As a quick detailer, I am mixing 1oz of this rinseless wash and 1oz of Klasse sealant per gallon of distilled water after the coin-op car wash.

If you do decide to stick to waxes, check Fusso coat. This seems to be in the rage at the moment. Very very close to Collinite 476 in terms of performance. According to Collinite, 476 is the most durable wax they have (so I dropped 845 thought, https://www.collinite.com/assets/Uploads/docs/AutoProductSelectorGuide.pdf) At the moment, I am unable to figure out if topping these waxes on my Klasse Sealant is going to give me any extra protection from winter salt.

Turtle Wax N Seal doesn't stand winter torture, so if you are fine applying it every week, you should be fine.

Here is TWSNS after a month.

Woke up this morning to this (after rain)

[Linked Image]

After drive to work:

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back