What's a fair price for a transmission fluid change on my BMW?

I'm definitely interested in seeing those wood ramps.

I may consider HPL for the future, but I need to get rid of all of the old ATF first. My car is starting to jerk a bit when shifting, which definitely has me worried.

I'm trying to convince myself to DIY it. If somewhere will do the fluid and filter for about $400, I will have them do it. Otherwise, I will most likely do it myself over this Christmas break.

Do all my driveline fluids on these Pine-O-Ramps - glued & screwed edition …
Do oil on one or two …

F56E5D5E-9C34-4761-9600-725CA1964A7B.jpeg

high zoot cars have costly services + repairs depending where you live so if you cant- wont do stuff shop around for fair pricing at an independent shop if warranty is not an issue, good luck $$$$$

i have done a lot of car-pickup work with one decent floor jack + 4 jack stands, bought once + DUN! outrageous repair costs will bu the needed tools with $$$ for REFRESHMENTS!!! everything is more today but having a set of decent tools + buying odds + ends as needed will serve you a lifetime + the satisfaction of DIY PRICELESS!! 74 YO + still enjoy DIY, a lot slower but being retired time matters NOT!!

i have a 2001 TT 225Q a glorified VW golf listed at over 50 THOU new in 2001 + bought 10 yrs ago for 18G with under 50 thou on it + trading another VAG car in a 2001 Jetta 1.8 T with similar mechanicals except the AWD. my friend + mechanic let me do my first timing belt job in his garage on the jetta while overseeing me which made me comfy, i was slow but got er dun correctly, a great feeling for sure saving me a thou in 2005!! that experience allowed me to do the same on my TT!! i helped build his log house a great learning experience even being a typical carpenter! let us know how your "story" ended!!!

Haven't heard of those places since the 80's. Liability insurance rates probably killed most of them them off, and if any survived, they would probably have to charge $30 or $40 a hour to stay in business.
Yes the ones I've seen are $30 to $40 per hour. Good value in certain parts of CA!

Btw, if you're a veteran, a lot of military bases have DIY shops that are closer to $5 an hour.

If you don't have access to a lift and you end up doing this in the garage/driveway, I suggest that you go to Harbor Freight or Ollie's and get a cheap 5x7 tarp and similarly sized moving blanket. Spread the tarp on the ground under the car, then the blanket on top. This way you can just drop paper towels, etc as you work and, after you finish making the mess, just roll it up this "diaper" and throw it in the trash.

Last edited:
The fair price for your area is determined by calling 3-4 shops (1 should be a dealer) and getting a range/average. If this is too much then DIY time. Bringing your own parts....make sure you let them know when they quote it..many shops won't do it without their own parts.

Is this a drain/fill from bottom/set level type deal? My VWs are that way...I need to use a scan tool for trans temp to do it so keep that in mind. Not hard just can be a little messy.

will often mean there is no warranty on the work, which some shops give for 2 to 3 years. Might be important for something as expensive as a transmission.
That's how the shop use handles it.

Back