What's a fair price for a transmission fluid change on my BMW?

Yeah, I want to do it myself, but it's just not going to happen. I tried to help my dad do it on his, and we couldn't get one of the brackets off, because we didn't have an E12 wrench. When it was running, we couldn't get the fill plug back in. We both burned are arms pretty badly. Lots of cursing was going on, and the garage floor was covered in ATF. He took it to the shop the next day, and it was about 2 quarts low. So, that's why I'm not doing it.
Ah, i get that. I've had similar discouraging instances where I had to give up but I've accepted it and learned. But if you don't mind the cost then save yourself some trouble and pay for the service instead. No shame in that.

Assuming you change your own oil, you have a set of ramps. Get a 2nd set and get the car up and level. Process on a RWD is not too bad. You can change the rear diff fluid while you are doing this. Cover the work area with used cardboard so your folks don't kick you out for making a mess. Just take your time and follow the processes, you'll be smarter in the end and $400-$600 richer.

What kind of shop was that?
If you're that concerned, DIY. I do my own fluid changes on EVERYTHING; not because I like it, but I sleep better at night knowing it was done CORRECTLY. The hireling cares NOT for the sheep. I CARE MORE for my cars than anyone I could pay. I'm NOT any sort of engineer; but I work across the aisle from multiple engineers who make a lot more money than I do, and guess what? They do their own fluid changes because (their words) "I don't want some minimum wage flunkie underneath my wife's car." What proof do you have that a "dealer mechanic" cares more about your car than you do? It's usually ALWAYS the "new guy" or the "flunkie" at a dealer who does fluid changes. Prove me wrong? Everything about an oil change is very basic; but screw something up and it could cost an engine real quick. Use the wrong filter on accident. Don't tighten it completely. Cross thread either the filter or the drain bolt. Transmission fluid changes are one semester away from oil changes. The way I read this thread, you're willing to spend several hundred dollars rather than BUY an "E12 wrench" or do a mess clean up in your parent's garage. Buy a 30 quart plastic mortar pan at Home depot and spill away. Wear rubber gloves and an old jacket. Don't get burned; it ain't fun. Go dumpster diving and find some cardboard. Buy your dad dinner at a restaurant of his choice and put the $4-600 you saved into something else FUN. Good Luck sir and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

If you're that concerned, DIY. I do my own fluid changes on EVERYTHING; not because I like it, but I sleep better at night knowing it was done CORRECTLY. The hireling cares NOT for the sheep. I CARE MORE for my cars than anyone I could pay. I'm NOT any sort of engineer; but I work across the aisle from multiple engineers who make a lot more money than I do, and guess what? They do their own fluid changes because (their words) "I don't want some minimum wage flunkie underneath my wife's car." What proof do you have that a "dealer mechanic" cares more about your car than you do? It's usually ALWAYS the "new guy" or the "flunkie" at a dealer who does fluid changes. Prove me wrong? Everything about an oil change is very basic; but screw something up and it could cost an engine real quick. Use the wrong filter on accident. Don't tighten it completely. Cross thread either the filter or the drain bolt. Transmission fluid changes are one semester away from oil changes. The way I read this thread, you're willing to spend several hundred dollars rather than BUY an "E12 wrench" or do a mess clean up in your parent's garage. Buy a 30 quart plastic mortar pan at Home depot and spill away. Wear rubber gloves and an old jacket. Don't get burned; it ain't fun. Go dumpster diving and find some cardboard. Buy your dad dinner at a restaurant of his choice and put the $4-600 you saved into something else FUN. Good Luck sir and Happy Thanksgiving!!!
I will definitely re consider DIYing it. I agree, I'm always skeptical someone will mess something up on my car. That's why I do my own work. I still shifts fine, so I'm not too worried. I'll consider doing it as a spring or summer job. Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

It's not a hard job or very time consuming, but due to the stigma about BMW lifetime fluid, many shops are hesitant to even do it. I will say that it was pretty easy to do on my GM transmission in my 328i. Much easier on the RWD cars with no transfer case. You could always do a few drain and fills and do the filter some other time. I did a drain and fill, then another drain and fill with filter change on mine, and at 45k miles it really had nothing in the filter. My next change at 75k I just did a drain and fill. I figure I'll drop the pan and change the filter every other fluid change.

If you don't want to do it, it's your decision and doesn't need explaining.
The cost of a shop is not cheap, so shop around. I've done my own for 50 years, but that is my choice and I don't have to explain it either!
Good luck on finding a shop with a price you find acceptable. And that is sincere, not sarcastic.
(y)

Hey, all,

I'm trying to shop around for a good place to have my transmission fluid changed. I'm in the Cincinnati, Ohio area.

I'm trying to find what a good price would be to have a shop change my transmission fluid and filter. This is not something I want to do myself. It's too messy, and is just too much.

All parts needed on FCP euro are about $200. Most BMW places want $800-$1000 for this job. I think that's crazy.

Could I take it do a descent shop and bring the supplies? Obviously, I don't want my transmission messed up, but it's definitely not worth $600 for labor.

My car is RWD, so the transfer case being in the way is not an issue.

Any advice?

Thanks
I would take it to good transmission shop. My trans guy has dealers bring him euro vehIckes, they don’t have transmission techs. Then they markup price he charged.

I was going to recommend these two shops to you but I checked Marcozi’s link first and that site confirmed my choices.

I know the owner of Just BMW. Whether he’ll let you bring your own fluid is unknown.

Two “transmission only” shops you might also consider are Northgate Transmission and Ridge Transmission. The latter is not too far from Just BMW.

My son acquired an ultra clean older BMW-he loves the car. The issue is that resale is so poor and repairs/maintenance you can't do yourself are so expensive that it doesn't take many dollars to send those things to the junk yard. That's reality.

My son acquired an ultra clean older BMW-he loves the car. The issue is that resale is so poor and repairs/maintenance you can't do yourself are so expensive that it doesn't take many dollars to send those things to the junk yard. That's reality.
That’s true. Although, I could sell it right now for what I paid for it. I haven’t spent too much on it yet

I was going to recommend these two shops to you but I checked Marcozi’s link first and that site confirmed my choices.

I know the owner of Just BMW. Whether he’ll let you bring your own fluid is unknown.

Two “transmission only” shops you might also consider are Northgate Transmission and Ridge Transmission. The latter is not too far from Just BMW.
It seems like justBmw gets some really bad reviews. What’s up with that?

Hmmm……

I don’t know, Dom

I don’t own a Blau mit Weisse so I can’t comment on repairs at Just BMW.

I regard online reviews with a wide range of suspicion. Somewhat like the five star and one star reviews on Amazon. Or any other online sites for that matter.

I’d suggest calling them and the shop in Loveland and asking what the charge is for your required service. Then ask them about bringing your own fluid(s).

If you don’t like their answer, then again, try Northgate or Ridge Transmission.

If none of those four shops are an option for you, then it’s a DIY or what CKN said above.

Good luck!

Haha. The floor is covered in oil stains already :)
Non-chlorinated brake cleaner. After it dries, take a carpet brush, dawn, and water. Finally, pour some hot water on it. It'll be as good as new. If you have a pressure washer to use as the final step, even better, but it's not mandatory.

Hmmm……

I don’t know, Dom

I don’t own a Blau mit Weisse so I can’t comment on repairs at Just BMW.

I regard online reviews with a wide range of suspicion. Somewhat like the five star and one star reviews on Amazon. Or any other online sites for that matter.

I’d suggest calling them and the shop in Loveland and asking what the charge is for your required service. Then ask them about bringing your own fluid(s).

If you don’t like their answer, then again, try Northgate or Ridge Transmission.
I gave Just BMW a call. They sent me an estimate. For a fluid flush and filter change, they are charging about $1200

I gave Just BMW a call. They sent me an estimate. For a fluid flush and filter change, they are charging about $1200

I bet you were like:

1670451749445.png

Back