What're your home thermostat settings?

Thermostat is set to 68 winter, 72 summer. Most of the ceiling fans run year round and the bedroom window is cracked at night in winter

1610545268721.png

68F during the day because people are home now. 64F at night.
In the "old world" when school and work weren't at the house, the house would be 64F during the day. On sunny days the furnace would not run. Kind of miss those days.

My home is only 2 years old and well insulated and energy efficient. I have a propane fueled FAU. I set the thermostat at 62 degrees F when I go to bed and have several layers of bed coverings. I set it at 66 degrees F first thing in the morning and after a couple of hours turn it down to 64 degrees. The house does a pretty good job of maintaining 64 degrees throughout the day even when it is 40 degrees outside. I dress warmly inside. Propane is expensive in the winter months.
In the summer, I set the A/C to 74 degrees. It can get hot during the summer months with outside temps in the nineties but it cools down at night. I open the windows and the cool mountain air does the trick. I use a fan in the bedroom when sleeping. I think I will have ceiling fans installed in both bedrooms and the living room in the spring. That should help a lot.

Back in NY we kept the wintertime temp set at 66 degrees in the morning and during the evening until 9:00pm. Otherwise it was set to 62 degrees.

ConEd supplied natural gas used for the boiler (old school radiator system) and electricity. Super expensive rates, so we kept her low and wore sweaters in the house.

Home 99.9% of the time. 70º F winter w/gas heating. 74º F in summer, 75º F if I can stand it. No quibbles about temperature as I'm the only one here.

67 during the day, 62 during sleep. On mild winter nights, that means the furnace does not run at all until the morning. (Our definition of mild is relative though...).

When we go back to a normal schedule, we allow a drop back to as low as 58 during the day.

Forced air natural gas furnace. Mid 90's home, 2700 square feet heated. Highest monthly natural gas bill in the last two years was $115 (and we have a gas fireplace, gas water heat, gas range, and gas dryer.)

This last spring we moved into a new house and it’s really insulated compared to the old house. Plus it’s almost twice the size at a little over 1900 square feet. At night it’s set at 62 F. The heat comes on about 7:00 and hits 65 for the day during the week and 68F on the weekend. I have it set to come on during the day about 3:30 just before the wife comes home and goes to 68F.

We've been heating our house with a 22K BTU Monitor kerosene unit since '96. Before getting injured in 2000 I usually kept it set on 60 at night and during the day while we were at work and had it programmed to start up to 68 about an hour before my wife would get home in the afternoons. Now that I'm older, have chronic back pain and home all the time I keep it set at 70 night/day unless it's really cold outside then I may need to bump it up to 72. I usually heat all winter on about 150 gallons of fuel. Only supplemental heat we use is a portable kerosene unit in the bathroom when getting shower/bath. Our main living area living room/kitchen area stays around 72 night/day since the thermostat on the heater doesn't shut it off until it reaches 4 degrees above set temp. Bedroom/bath probably around 66-68 in the daytime and maybe 64-66 at night but we like our bedroom cooler so it works out great. Summer time the a/c is set to 77.

That's a good point about aches and pains. I've rehab'd my body back into OK shape regarding a lot of the neck, back and shoulder pains I've had, but some won't go away (i.e., I've got a torn ligament in my angle and likely have stretched ligaments elsewhere). I'm only in my 30s.

My dad, on the other hand, moved down to FL and will only move back up to the mid-Atlantic as a compromise when he retires to be closer to us. He worked his body hard in construction most of his life and he hate, hate, hates the cold. He was in a bad motorcycle accident just before I was born that involved a complete fracture wherein he woke with his leg next to his head when he looked over; skin grafts were also involved. He has been walking with a limp for a while now.

Anyway, I totally get issues with cold and injuries.

10pm-6am.. 63

6am-9pm.. 66

Forced hot air oil furnace

I also installed 240v electric baseboard heaters in each bedroom and living room with independent thermostats.. House is one floor 730 sq ft. New Windows did the trick house stays comfortable throughout the day. Just got my first oil delivery Monday since May tank was 5/8

We're doing well with just a small 1500W portable heater in each room; however, I really should figure out how to replace the archaic thermostats. I was told that they're older, line-voltage style, which scares me to work on. I don't want to pay an electrician for something that's not necessarily broken, either; just wildly inaccurate.

What I meant was during the summer when my actual gas bills are just a few bucks I’m still paying the $91 to even things out. I always assumed that was the going rate more or less. $1100 or so a year. I guess it varies from place to place.
We've been on a budget for many years with gas and electricity. We did it when we were younger and I worked a seasonal job, just made it easier to pay the bills knowing what they were going to be and like you said it's all the same when you look at it annually.

As far as the temp, I'm to old to be cold so it's usually set at 70 but sometimes higher if we feel like it.

We burn mostly wood with oil supplement in AM before rising. Bedroom window open with just a sheet and blanket. The wood stove in the kitchen keeps the house 68/70. Stove has a catalytic converter which helps to modulate output otherwise the temp swings are uncomfortable.

We have wood-burning stove; however, at least a couple of the liners are cracked badly and the whole chimney likely needs to be repaired. I've got a quote coming soon for that. I'm not surprised that the highly recommended guys were booked for so long.

Reactions: JC1
This last spring we moved into a new house and it’s really insulated compared to the old house. Plus it’s almost twice the size at a little over 1900 square feet. At night it’s set at 62 F. The heat comes on about 7:00 and hits 65 for the day during the week and 68F on the weekend. I have it set to come on during the day about 3:30 just before the wife comes home and goes to 68F.

I'm thinking of using my gov hand-out to improve insulation in the attic and elsewhere. Since we spend so much time in the master BR maybe insulating the walls back here might be worth it, too.

Reactions: JC1
We're doing well with just a small 1500W portable heater in each room; however, I really should figure out how to replace the archaic thermostats. I was told that they're older, line-voltage style, which scares me to work on. I don't want to pay an electrician for something that's not necessarily broken, either; just wildly inaccurate.
Yes what's not broken don't fix... My heaters I installed have mechanical thermostats as well.. I crank them on hi until the room is comfortable then I turn the thermostat to the middle which is comfort zone.. Keeps the room just right.

It would only makes sense to swap out the thermostat if its going to be a potential savings during the heating season.

Yes what's not broken don't fix... My heaters I installed have mechanical thermostats as well.. I crank them on hi until the room is comfortable then I turn the thermostat to the middle which is comfort zone.. Keeps the room just right.

It would only makes sense to swap out the thermostat if its going to be a potential savings during the heating season.
that's exactly what we do: crank the heat up for the baseboards, then turn them off and use the portable 1500W heaters to maintain.

with our usage, which is sporadic, there's no savings to be had with a new thermostat, let alone a smart one. For instance, last night and tonight I turned the heat up in the living room (which is open to the kitchen, dining room and hallway) to 60F then turned it off. That gives us enough time to watch a few shows after dinner before we retired back to the toasty warm bedroom.

House at 68 pretty much all day in the winter, and garage is kept at 50 unless I temporarily heat it warmer for a project. Gas furnace for the house (2400' sq.) and gas overhead in the garage (600' sq.). Bills hover around $100 or so monthly, but the only other gas appliance is a fireplace that we don't use too often.

In Florida its been cold lately and working from home now. I keep the heat at 73 in the winter and AC at 79 in the summer. Largest power bill for 2020 was 151.00

71-72* year round. I get hot easy whereas the wife is cold 24/7 so that's the best compromise we've found.

Back