What're your home thermostat settings?

Electric
67 during the day
60 at night

* I close my bedroom door at night and open the bedroom window. Also have a fan blowing on the bed. Like it cold enough to hibernate.

72 all day. 69 at night. Retired so somebody is home all day for the most part. Mickey Mouse non-programmable tstat. Natural gas heat costs out here run $91 a month

73 year round. In the summer it’s programmed to go to 74 during the day. I don’t set it any warmer because when it’s 115 outside, houses can’t cool down much until after the sun goes down, so I keep it where it’s comfortable so I don’t die of heat stroke when I get home.

My wife and I can’t agree on a temp.... she wants it 55F-60F year round, I’d be quite happy with 75-78. So we compromise and it spends most of the day at 65F in the winter and 75F in the summer. I’ll get a bit chilly and crank it up to 68-69, which usually gets me a “can you please turn down the thermostat?” Text.

We have a 95% natural gas furnace and 13 seer AC unit. Most expensive bill I’ve gotten so far was $220 for both gas and electric combined.

64...my house is 6,000 square feet, 30 foot ceilings in the family room, 15 foot ceilings in the bar room, 30 foot ceiling in the foyer and 10 foot ceilings throughout the house. Surprisingly I’ve never had to turn the heat on in the basement...boiler runs so hot down there it basically heats the whole thing up.

Go through 250 gallons of oil a month, give or take. So we all walk around in sweatshirts. Lol.

Just remember when you let your house cool too much, it takes a lot to bring it up to temp.

NG here.
68 downstairs during day
64 upstairs during day.
Both 64 at night.

Not really. Even with baseboard electric: with the fans on reverse cycle, it takes maybe 20 minutes to increase from 50F to 60F.

I miss NG; we had it in our old condo. Now, our upstairs open space (not including the BR’s and basement) is almost 25-50% more space, but all electric baseboard. Combine that with nearly 18-20/kWh rate and we’re paying out the but. The delivery and other is what costs the most. It’s almost $100 > actual usage!

We've been heating our house with a 22K BTU Monitor kerosene unit since '96. Before getting injured in 2000 I usually kept it set on 60 at night and during the day while we were at work and had it programmed to start up to 68 about an hour before my wife would get home in the afternoons. Now that I'm older, have chronic back pain and home all the time I keep it set at 70 night/day unless it's really cold outside then I may need to bump it up to 72. I usually heat all winter on about 150 gallons of fuel. Only supplemental heat we use is a portable kerosene unit in the bathroom when getting shower/bath. Our main living area living room/kitchen area stays around 72 night/day since the thermostat on the heater doesn't shut it off until it reaches 4 degrees above set temp. Bedroom/bath probably around 66-68 in the daytime and maybe 64-66 at night but we like our bedroom cooler so it works out great. Summer time the a/c is set to 77.

Last edited:
I try to keep the thermostat around 63-65. We have a 250g Propane tank for heat. I got it filled last August. We are down to 35% now so I hope to get it filled soon. Before the coldest month....February rolls in.

Remember I’m quoting a budget plan. It’s $91 a month year round.
What I meant was during the summer when my actual gas bills are just a few bucks I’m still paying the $91 to even things out. I always assumed that was the going rate more or less. $1100 or so a year. I guess it varies from place to place.

10pm-6am.. 63

6am-9pm.. 66

Forced hot air oil furnace

I also installed 240v electric baseboard heaters in each bedroom and living room with independent thermostats.. House is one floor 730 sq ft. New Windows did the trick house stays comfortable throughout the day. Just got my first oil delivery Monday since May tank was 5/8

We burn mostly wood with oil supplement in AM before rising. Bedroom window open with just a sheet and blanket. The wood stove in the kitchen keeps the house 68/70. Stove has a catalytic converter which helps to modulate output otherwise the temp swings are uncomfortable.

I don’t get to control it because I don’t pay the bill. My parents keep it at 74 year round day and night burns me out of here man. I’m the type I’d be comfortable around 65-66 or so.

Wife turns it down to 69 at bedtime but I turn it up to 73 when I wake up at 7am, hate being cold in the morning when the temp outside is 30.

Back