What Year Did you Start Using Synthetic Motor Oil?

Had a 97 Honda Civic. Learned about synthetic after getting my oil changed from a local garage. In 99 I started changing oil myself.

I don't remember the year but I started when I bought my first mustang - 1985 GT. I used Mobil1 for years.

1990 with my 150cc motorbike, only can afford synthetic for bike, my car just got local 20w50 mineral plus additive e.g. MoS2, PTFE, ZDDP or VI improver

2008 Mobil 1 I think, made the mistake of telling the dealer to do an oil change while the car was getting recall work done. Suffice to say the most expensive oil change of my life. I was in college so money was toight.

1993, the first oil change after break-in period of 500 miles on our then new 1993 Toyota 4x4 pickup. Been using synthetic since. The same for our '05 and '14 vehicles. Switch between Mobil 1 and Amsoil.

2004. I was in college and it was the first oil change I ever did myself. Had to have a friend of mine's dad let me use his garage and tools. It was on my 2002 Ford Escape XLT 4x4 with the 3.0L V6. I used Pennzoil Platinum (API SL) because I wanted a full synthetic and it was literally the first one I saw when I walked into Advance Auto.

Pennzoil Platinum.jpg

Around 1997, when I was 18, when I got the first car I really liked - a 1987 Nissan Maxima 5-speed.

I‘d heard a friend whose dad collected cars extol its virtues.

Also started using Slick 50 and Duralube - synthetic additives that you poured in with the oil. I stopped using that stuff long, long ago, but it never seemed to hurt anything. For some reason, I never used the additives again after that car.

In 1995 when I moved from Socal to Denver. My 90 Nissan truck called for 20w50. That weight didn't flow to well in the Colorado winter. I started using Mobil 1 at that time buy can't recall what weight it was.

Bought my first car on Saturday. 2008 Honda Fit, then changed the oil Sunday, with Mobil 1. Have been changing the oil in my various dirt bikes for years though. My dad would always help me with it, until I was around age 11, then I started doing it myself.

1986. Mobil 1. For a turbo charged Dodge Omni which actually stated to use mobil 1 synthetic

I started using synthetics in the mid '70s when a lot of attention started being written about them. I think I might have started out with Mobil One. More recently I have used Pennzoil. Right now I have Valvoline Advanced 5W-30 in one of my cars.

Back