What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is about the amount of oil/transmission fluid/gear oil, etc. listed in the manual as opposed to what it actually takes to bring it up to full.

My manual says that the engine takes 6 quarts of oil. In order to bring it up to the full mark on the dipstick, I need to put in 7 quarts. Should I be putting in the 7 quarts, or just leave it at 6 and assume that the dipstick is inaccurate?

My transmission (manual) says it takes 3.75 quarts. I just changed the oil in it yesterday and it took 5.5 quarts to fill it up to the bottom of the fill hole (where I have always filled it up to). Should I be putting in the full 5.5 quarts, or just leave it at the specified 3.75?

The same question goes for the transfer case and axles. Should I just put in the amount that is specified or should I put in enough to "fill" them?

This might seem like a stupid question, but with synthetic oils throughout, the cost savings of a quart here and there are pretty big if I don't need to be putting all that oil in.

For transfer cases and axles, I would trust the fill hole location and fill until overflowing.

Transmissions drain differently than crankcases. The longer you drain, the more you get out.

i realize that automatic transmissions will drain more the longer the drain plug is out, but is a manual transmission the same way? they way i see it, it isn't any different than the transfer case. there is a drain plug and a fill plug. should i just fill the transmission up until it is overflowing as well?

and what about the engine? 6 or 7 quarts? for anyone that's interested, this is a 98 Ford F150 w/ a 4.6L engine.

I don't know about your particular engine, but I'd definitely use the fill plugs over any listed capacities to determine the proper fluid level in diffs and trannies.

Most diffs and transfers aren't supposed to be filled to overflowing!(no matter how your daddy said to do it) Most modern boxes call for 1/2 to 3/4 inch below hole to allow for expansion.

Best I can recall, all Ford 4.6 I've checked only held 6.

Bob

I question the validity and accuracy of the engine dipstick. That disparity is huge.
Maybe it is not seated properly, or it's guide tube.
Maybe you have a larger oil pan [unlikely]?
The difference in the tranny is more than huge. Something is amiss in your technique or supplied data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back