What would you do? Replaced alternator for nothin

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past few days Ive noticed ive been getting a loud whine when running my rear defroster and accelerating. Has to be both, if I just run the rear defroster and idle, no whine.

I popped the hood and know forsure its coming from the alternator. Ive had alternator whine before and this is the exact same (same tone, same pitch) noise. It gets louder as the cars rpms get higher. Once i turn the rear desfroster off, hit the gas and noise is gone.

Took it to one of my mechs yesterday (who has a good reputation, done a fair amount of work on my car), main reason why he isnt my main mech is cause hes very expensive. Anyways, he checked it out, tested the alt...said the charging system was fine and that the diodes in my alternator are starting to go. He said that the rear defroster puts a lot of extra load on the alternator cause its electric. I thought wierd, cause my alternator is only 2.5 years old (even though its a rebuilt but its an OEM rebuilt alnterator from a good shop).

So since Ive had nothing but good experiences with him in the past, I took his word for it cause he said he was 100% sure its the alternator. This morning took the car into an alternator shop (different one this time cause i was thinking my alternator was toast). Had the new one put in, costed me $190CDN installed. Figured since you have to remove the serp. belt to get to the alternator that I might as well replace the serp. belt while at it. Picked up a Gates belt for $30 on the way. Had the guy do both.

Got the car back, the same whine is still there. I was very unhappy and just couldnt believe it. I talked to the alternator shop guy and explained the situation and he said i should have mentioned the whine to him when he was doing all the work. I would have but again I gave my mech the benefit of the doubt that he was right about the alternator being the problem, so I didnt mention anything. I asked him basically to let me know when he disassembles my old taken out alternator and let me know if the diodes were infact bad. He said I can call him back MOnday cause he was about to close today and he can help me out. He said I can bring the car down to him and diagnose it. The only thing is that, this was all already out when he was doing all the uninstalling and installing. So Id have to pay more labour. ARGH!!!

I dont know what to do from here. Can you tell me what I should do?

Right now, from talking to a few buds theyre thinking its the A/C compressor bearing inside. Another we considered as a possibility was A/C pulley bearing, but its not that because it would be making a much different noise (like more of a rumbling), even confirmed that with the mech yesterday who said the same thing.

Now, if my old alternator is still good (which taking it that it is), theres no point putting it back in because the money id be getting back on it would be going to the labour in swaping them again. No point. Keep the one I have in now and at least i have a fresh 1.5 yr warranty on it whereas the old one doesnt.

The fact that I replaced the serp. belt as well today to kill two birds with one stone (which im now very very glad I did), makes me see some good in this. I replaced an alternator for nothing but I also replaced my belt which had to be done in the next while anyways. So I could see this as factoring in that I paid for the serp. belt and install job as the primary purchase and then it lessesn the blow (cost) on the new UNNEEDED alternator and 1.5 warranty.

I guess i just first need some time to gather myself and try to calm down a bit because Im still very upset that my mech from yesterday said 100% it was the alternator and I took his word for it because ive had nothing but good experiences with him. This guy has such a strong client base and good rep, Im just shocked. I honestly wish he would reimburse me the money it costed on the new alternator because I feel scammed, ripped off, but i know he wont. I understand people can make mistakes but still....

Im just [censored] blowing $190 for nothing. Its not like Im made of money either. $190 and 3 hours of my time. On what? nothing!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lumpy_grits
When is the last time you checked the belt tension?
OR, replaced the belts??
LG

Before today
Checked - last summer.
Replaced - 4 years ago.

Right now
Replaced with new serpentine belt today. I figured if it was a loose belt or wrong tension, it would have been fixed today because the guy replaced the serp. belt with a new one.

My car just has two belts, an serpentine belt that controlls the Alt and A/C Comp. And power steering belt. But obviously this has nothing to do with the power steering belt, so its obviously based on only one belt - the serpentine.

Last edited:
Did mechanic #1 suggest replacing the alternator? Your first post does not indicate he did so, but that it should be watched. Unfortunately, you jumped the gun and didn't mention the issue to mechanic #2; however, shame on him for not asking why you wanted it replaced. He shouldn't have to ask to peak his curiosity enormously th to do a little investigating himself. He could have at least asked and probed a little more if you told him specifically what was to be done. Who blindly does work for a customer that could result in dissatisfaction, such as is the case?

If mechanic hasn't already torn the old alternator down, then stop him. Mechanic #1 told you it was outputting good juice, and you have circumstantial evidence that the diodes are not going (if the noise was bis only determining factor. Sell it or keep it as a spare...unless it was owed as a core.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Did mechanic #1 suggest replacing the alternator? Your first post does not indicate he did so, but that it should be watched.

He said that it needs to be replaced as its on its way out. He said it will just get worse over time and cant tell when its going to die.

Quote:
Unfortunately, you jumped the gun and didn't mention the issue to mechanic #2;

Yes I jumped the gun but only cause the mech I trusted and had nothing but awesome experiences with him. This is the first time hes been wrong on something. Now dont get me wrong, there is a possibility that the new alternator put in today has bad diodes as well. A chance. Hence why i think my best option right now is to see the alternator shop guy from today and go from there. If it is the case that the alternator put in today has bad diodes, then it will be replaced with another. Simple, no headache and i can get this over with and put it in the past and sleep at night.

But if its not bad, well then its obviously gonna be a major headache from here.

Quote:
however, shame on him for not asking why you wanted it replaced. He shouldn't have to ask to peak his curiosity enormously th to do a little investigating himself. He could have at least asked and probed a little more if you told him specifically what was to be done. Who blindly does work for a customer that could result in dissatisfaction, such as is the case?

Good point but i still think im the one to blame because i never brought it up with him. But again, I didnt because of my faith in my mech from yesterday in believing him. If it wasnt for that, yes i would have brought it to his attention.

Quote:
If mechanic hasn't already torn the old alternator down, then stop him. Mechanic #1 told you it was outputting good juice, and you have circumstantial evidence that the diodes are not going (if the noise was bis only determining factor. Sell it or keep it as a spare...unless it was owed as a core.

It was owed as a core yes. But when I called the alternator guy back today, he said hes going to tear it apart Monday when i go back.

You know...I was just thinking. From what Ive been told, its normal for alternators to whine when it has a lot of load. Do you think this is just normal for me and theres nothing wrong at all? I mean when you think of it, rear defroster is electric and puts a lot of load on the alternator. So maybe the whine from it is normal operation.

Last edited:
Relax about the mech. Just like everyone else, he's human. He can make mistakes too. Give him a chance to make it right with you.

If you're looking for advice here, it would help to start with year, make, and model.

Originally Posted By: kacey25
I guess i just first need some time to gather myself and try to calm down a bit because Im still very upset that my mech from yesterday said 100% it was the alternator and I took his word for it because ive had nothing but good experiences with him. This guy has such a strong client base and good rep, Im just shocked. I honestly wish he would reimburse me the money it costed on the new alternator because I feel scammed, ripped off, but i know he wont. I understand people can make mistakes but still....

Im just [censored] blowing $190 for nothing. Its not like Im made of money either. $190 and 3 hours of my time. On what? nothing!

Ive heard electrical noise in speakers, once alternators go bad. So I wouldn't blame the mech for his best guess at the time, which Id say has a high percentage rate of being true. However, you cant blame him, cause you went elsewhere for the actual repair. Now if you'd actually used him to do the repair and he guaranteed it was the alternator, or if he pointed out that was the most probable, he should disclose a no guarantee, cause the alternator was actually in a good operating state at the time.

But Im sure that Mech at this point, would be glad you went elsewhere for the actual repair.

when parts are not in a hard failed state, its tougher to know for sure.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
So I wouldn't blame the mech for his best guess at the time, which Id say has a high percentage rate of being true. However, you cant blame him, cause you went elsewhere for the actual repair. Now if you'd actually used him to do the repair and he guaranteed it was the alternator, or if he pointed out that was the most probable, he should disclose a no guarantee, cause the alternator was actually in a good operating state at the time.

But Im sure that Mech at this point, would be glad you went elsewhere for the actual repair.

Good points.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Relax about the mech. Just like everyone else, he's human. He can make mistakes too. Give him a chance to make it right with you.

If you're looking for advice here, it would help to start with year, make, and model.

06 Acura RSX

What do you mean when you say you've heard electrical noise in car speakers? Dont know what that means.

Ive heard electrical noise in speakers, once alternators go bad. So I wouldn't blame the mech for his best guess at the time, which Id say has a high percentage rate of being true. However, you cant blame him, cause you went elsewhere for the actual repair. Now if you'd actually used him to do the repair and he guaranteed it was the alternator, or if he pointed out that was the most probable, he should disclose a no guarantee, cause the alternator was actually in a good operating state at the time.

Can you tell me what you mean exactly when you said you've heard electrical noise in car speakers before?

I know my mech is still a good mech, and they make mistakes here and there, I just think he made a boo boo by making 100% certain, gaurenteed, that it was the alternator. He was dead set on it.

I will go back to the alt shop guy who put in the new one today on Monday and go from there. Gonna make sure that the one he just put in doesnt happen (and theres a possibility, you never know) to have bad diodes as well. It happens. If this is the case, then i would be glad...replace it with another at no charge and my money isnt gone to waste afterall.

Also, I noted this earlier, but not sure if anyone saw. Here it is again.

You know...I was just thinking. From what Ive been told, its normal for alternators to whine when it has a lot of load. Do you think this could just be normal operation for me and theres nothing wrong at all with anything? I mean when you think of it, rear defroster is electric and puts a lot of load on the alternator. So maybe the whine from it is just normal.

Last edited:
This is why you dont go to different guys.

IF you had taken it back to the first guy and the whine was still there he'd be taking it back out for free and finding the real problem.

You should have also told the second guy
the problem and let him diagnose it.

Then if hes wrong.. its on him to chase down the problem.

Doing what you did puts the fault on no one.

1st mech. oh well you didnt bring it to me to replace it I guess I was wrong.

2nd mech. You told me you wanted the alt. replaced. I replaced it.

Last edited:

However, you cant blame him, cause you went elsewhere for the actual repair.

Yup

Originally Posted By: Rand

IF you had taken it back to the first guy and the whine was still there he'd be taking it back out for free and finding the real problem.

I usually dont go to different guys but the first mech said he would only install a brand new OEM alternator and quoted me $380 (even with his $100 discount) + install is $480 total. Thats 2.5 times more and really turned me away. He said if i brought him a rebuilt OEM one, he wouldnt install it because hes had too many past customers who he did install for and would have them returning soon after from problems. So he only installs new.

Last edited:

I usually dont go to different guys but the first mech said he would only install a brand new OEM alternator and quoted me $380 (even with his $100 discount) + install is $480 total. Thats 2.5 times more and really turned me away. He said if i brought him a rebuilt OEM one, he wouldnt install it because hes had too many past customers who he did install for and would have them returning soon after from problems. So he only installs new.

1st Mechanic translation: I cant make my 50% markup on parts if you bring yours in" ??

He might have a point though some aftermarket parts are junk. Usually if I bring my own parts my guy wont guarantee labor if they go bad.. which is fair.

I found out along time ago if you take it to 2 places you let the guy whose repairing it diagnose it.

That goes for anything, computers,cars, appliances, house wiring,plumbing etc.

Edit: the rear defroster isnt much load, its not normal for it to whine that I know of. I'd say the blower motor, or headlights pull more than a rear defroster.

Last edited:

1st Mechanic translation: I cant make my 50% markup on parts if you bring yours in" ??

He might have a point though some aftermarket parts are junk. Usually if I bring my own parts my guy wont guarantee labor if they go bad.. which is fair.

I found out along time ago if you take it to 2 places you let the guy whose repairing it diagnose it.

That goes for anything, computers,cars, appliances, house wiring,plumbing etc.

Edit: the rear defroster isnt much load, its not normal for it to whine that I know of. I'd say the blower motor, or headlights pull more than a rear defroster.

Hmm well my headlights are HID so that uses much less draw/power than halogens. I should note that if I have the headlights on + blower motor (just putting out reg heat), it doesnt whine at all.

I still think its electrical load related. I thought that perhaps maybe the rear defroster circuit (Where the button is on the dash panel) behind is shorting. If it is, it would draw that much more power. I can pull the panel tonight and check the connector.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back