What would cause phone to suddenly not detect SIM card??

Have been using a Google Pixel 7a since October with Google Fi and all worked flawlessly until yesterday afternoon. While driving home suddenly dropped data connection and got a No SIM Card detected notification. I restarted the phone...same thing. Went through the troubleshooting steps with the Google Fi app and it worked...for 5 seconds and happened again. Repeated the troubleshooting and it resolved and us fine. Never had it happen before with any phone or carrier.
What could cause that? Phone wasn't dropped and it's in a pretty stout case so the SIM wasn't jolted or moved.

Remove, inspect, clean, and reinstall the SIM card. Reset Network settings. SIM cards can fail.
had that happen with my phone. removed the SIM card a light cleaning and back in business. guess my job caused some fine saw dust to somehow make its way around the card.

If cleaning didn't resolved the problem then go to your carrier and ask for a new SIM

Probably why cellular carrier’s are pushing eSIM. Latest iPhone you have no choice but eSIM.
I started out with an eSim but requested a physical Sim as I wanted the option of using one of my spare phones. It wasn't the phone itself because I got the same message after popping it into my spare. So I think it's either the Sim itself or some glitch with my account with Google Fi.

This exact same thing happened to my wife's Android Galaxy S23 yesterday. I removed and cleaned the SIM card but it is still not detected by the phone. The actual warning we get on the phone is "SIM card not set up for this phone".

So my wife's Galaxy s23 was fixed by Verizon today. They said the sim card was one of the original 5G versions and went bad. They activated the esim and now phone works fine. Tossed the old one. Apparently my Galaxy Z-Fold came with the esim activated.

I had a SIM card go bonkers with a Nexus phone from Google. They sent me a new one overnight. This was some years ago before Pixel phones, I doubt they would be so accommodating today. Remove it and go esim, your phone has the capability.

I had a SIM card go bonkers with a Nexus phone from Google. They sent me a new one overnight. This was some years ago before Pixel phones, I doubt they would be so accommodating today. Remove it and go esim, your phone has the capability.
I know. I started with an esim but asked for a physical Sim so I could easily switch to a spare if I wanted.

Few year ago when I moved off vz prepaid T-Mobile set up my iPhone XR with eSIM I went back an hour later and requested a physical sim. Still using the physical sim for tmo… I had a secondary line that was eSIM on puretalk wireless I know one thing when you’re using both it’s like burning a candle at both ends battery life is drastically shorter.

I use Consumer Cell. They use to have no data limits but now slow you down after 50 GB. Last month I hit the 50 GB and the speeds dropped to around 500 kbps. This resets on the billing cycle. But this time it didn't reset. For some reason they lost the IEMI info for the phone and had to reactivate it. The phone still worked, just ran real slow. This also affected the dedicated HotSpot which I use for the internet.

Back