What wood for what Meat??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
For smoking woods, one of the best I found when my parents cut down their cherry tree.

Cherry is good, and it surprises folks as to the smokiness, it's a bit stronger than expected.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
I use kiawe(mesquite) wood chunks usually at least 12 inches thick...

We must be talking different lingo - I've never see 12" diameter mesquite. Does the bush even get that big???

If it was a bush the wood would green. The wood I use are full grown trees.

We must be talking different lingo - I've never see 12" diameter mesquite. Does the bush even get that big???

Lol, yeah. Google mesquite trees. They aren't live oaks, but they do get bigger that I guess you folks up north think.

Hamburger- small amount of hickory, oak or mesquite.
Steak- same as hamburger.
Chicken-small amount of apple or cherry. Chicken is very easy to oversmoke.
Brats- small amount of apple or cherry.
Pork-ribs I prefer apple or cherry. Or small amount of pecan.
loins or tenderloins same as ribs.
butts I use pecan or a mix of approximately 1/3 hickory
mixed with 2/3 cherry or apple.

Oak is used by a lot of the BBQ joints in Texas because it's plentiful and makes a very good bed of coals. It's very good for briskets and chuck rolls.

Never use green hardwoods like oak or hickory for smoking, for the same reason they aren't used in fireplaces or woodstoves. They don't combust efficiently and will produce a lot of creosote and soot that will make the food bitter. Green fruit woods are OK. Mike Mills, of the Apple City Smokers, won many awards using nothing but green apple wood. Peach, bradford pear or any pear tree, apricot, sugar maple, apple and cherry are all good for smoking with because they tend to be mild.A friend of mine uses peach wood almost exclusively and his ribs and chicken come out great.

There was a BBQ pit near my old high school that used hickory and almond that made for pleasantly smoky ribs.

I don't burn wood for my BBQ needs, I use hardwood charcoal - either from Trader Joe's or Wal-Mart.

You guys are right.....funny thing 20+ years ago when mesquite usage was ramping up people would say it's endangered...now "World Conservation Union as one of the world's most problematic invasive species."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesquite

smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif

Something can be both endangered, and a pest, when it is released in a foreign environment.

For smoking woods, one of the best I found when my parents cut down their cherry tree.

Cherry is good, and it surprises folks as to the smokiness, it's a bit stronger than expected.

Makes great jerky at low (dehydrating type) temps.

Another that I've used before is rose prunings

You guys are right.....funny thing 20+ years ago when mesquite usage was ramping up people would say it's endangered...now "World Conservation Union as one of the world's most problematic invasive species."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesquite

smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif

Something can be both endangered, and a pest, when it is released in a foreign environment.

Well of course, it's just a tad ironic.

"I can't believe the first guy who used mesquite for cooking actually tried it a second time."-Ray Lampe (Dr BBQ) from his Big Time BBQ Cookbook.

Originally Posted By: farrarfan1
"I can't believe the first guy who used mesquite for cooking actually tried it a second time."-Ray Lampe (Dr BBQ) from his Big Time BBQ Cookbook.

Mesquite is a little stronger than kiawe wood. I've seen some mesquite wood at walmart and various location.I can understand what he means. If the wood is dry it burns fast and gives a harsh odor.

The wood I use being fresh cut takes a bit longer to light up. It has the natural wetness in the wood. It burns slower with lower heat versus dry. Also doesn't have that odor that dry mesquite is known for.

I've heard good things about kiawe and guava wood, just never had the chance to actually use it. Any experience with guava?

No I haven't tried guava but meaning to. Need to find some local contacts here see if I can pick some up. Price wise commercial sellers here charge is kind of steep.

Also you guys up there have more variety of woods which I haven't seen here it goes with locations.

He may have been referring to mesquite hardwood charcoal. It burns incredibly hot, and does not add a lot of flavor.

I would think location and how much rainfall occurs. Wetter conditions but the right condition Kiawe can grow a mean height. Dry conditions different story.

Info on Guava.

He may have been referring to mesquite hardwood charcoal. It burns incredibly hot, and does not add a lot of flavor.

The key in using mesquite charcoal is to have a grill/smoker that lets you precisely control the temperature. Add large wood chunks for additional fuel and smoke. I have a Big Green Egg, perhaps God's answer to BBQing. I do steaks at 700+ degrees F and whole turkeys at much lower temps (not at the same time, heh). When a friend told me about it, I thought he was kidding. I know better now.

I use Kiawe wood for grilling. Meat like steak shears with lid on smoking so no flames. It's in there for 15-20 minutes the way I like it. High heat with no flareups. Certain things is forget slow and low heat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back