What were the issues with the FCA 3.0 EcoDiesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Lads
Hope this is correct section to post this.

I have read that the 3.0 EcoDiesel Engine as fitted to the Grand Cherokee and Ram pickup truck has suffered from failures.
Could anyone help as to what these failures were please?

I read that FCA changed the Oil spec to try alleviate the problems. I have read of a few cases now of big end bearing failure here in UK.

Any help would be appreciated as I am considering replacing my 2008 Grand Cherokee with the newer WK2.

Many thanks.

The biggest problem I heard of with them, (this was back in 2015 when I was considering one in my Grand Cherokee), was the timing sprocket on the camshaft was pressed on, and not welded. This caused issues with many engines, when the sprocket got loose and started to slip. I don't know if they corrected it or not. I know they stopped offering the Ram pickup with the Eco Diesel for a brief time. I think there were several other issues with that engine as well.

Timing sprocket and I believe the stop/start caused rod or crank wear that made them change their oil spec.

I see A LOT of them on the roads in Toronto. I would say 20-25% of newer Rams that I see have that mill. Good highway MPG for a truck.

Originally Posted by billt460
The biggest problem I heard of with them, (this was back in 2015 when I was considering one in my Grand Cherokee), was the timing sprocket on the camshaft was pressed on, and not welded. This caused issues with many engines, when the sprocket got loose and started to slip. I don't know if they corrected it or not. I know they stopped offering the Ram pickup with the Eco Diesel for a brief time. I think there were several other issues with that engine as well.

I was also considering buying a 2017 Ram Ecodiesel as they were basically giving them away, however I changed my mind because I didn't want a turd and bought a GMC Canyon Duramax instead.

The timing sprocket isn't a real issue. There is a YT video of a guy rambling on about it but it's rare and not one of the common failures with this engine.

The main cause of engine failures with the 3.0 ecodiesel has been big end and rod bearing failures. FCA changed the oil spec to CJ-4 and also reprogrammed the TCM to limit lugging which helped but also reduced the advertised FE by 3-4 MPGs. Another cause of oil related failures is the cheap oil cooler which is prone to leaking which also contaminated the oil causing engine damage.

Not just bearing problems but breaking crankshafts. They claim the engine has enough power that it's snapping crankshafts in certain situations. Lately we have been starting to see holes in the intake manifold.

Originally Posted by AVB
Not just bearing problems but breaking crankshafts. They claim the engine has enough power that it's snapping crankshafts in certain situations. Lately we have been starting to see holes in the intake manifold.

The 2011-2012 Super Dutys with the 6.7L diesel would snap crankshafts. I have personally seen 3. Our tech still has the front part of one with the snout and a counterweight. Crazy part was they all still ran perfectly fine and made power, just sounded like death. The breaks are all clean breaks but did it in such a way that the crank would still spin with the broken parts meshed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by AVB

The 2011-2012 Super Dutys with the 6.7L diesel would snap crankshafts. I have personally seen 3. Our tech still has the front part of one with the snout and a counterweight. Crazy part was they all still ran perfectly fine and made power, just sounded like death. The breaks are all clean breaks but did it in such a way that the crank would still spin with the broken parts meshed.

I gotta ask... how are they snapping crank shafts? That should be the single strongest thing in an engine!

I don't think any cranks have broken in Jeeps only the trucks. Last I heard it was from towing and spinning tires. I would have thought that the automatic transmission would slip before the crank broke.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by AVB

I gotta ask... how are they snapping crank shafts? That should be the single strongest thing in an engine!

It was a metallurgy issue. Only affected the 2011 and 2012 trucks. The first picture shows the rest of the crank still in the block with the front section taken out.

IMG_9813.jpg

IMG_9810.jpg

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
Originally Posted by billt460

I was also considering buying a 2017 Ram Ecodiesel as they were basically giving them away, however I changed my mind because I didn't want a turd and bought a GMC Canyon Duramax instead.

The timing sprocket isn't a real issue. There is a YT video of a guy rambling on about it but it's rare and not one of the common failures with this engine.

The main cause of engine failures with the 3.0 ecodiesel has been big end and rod bearing failures. FCA changed the oil spec to CJ-4 and also reprogrammed the TCM to limit lugging which helped but also reduced the advertised FE by 3-4 MPGs. Another cause of oil related failures is the cheap oil cooler which is prone to leaking which also contaminated the oil causing engine damage.

Hi
This is the kind of thing I am hearing about in UK. What do you mean by 'lugging'?

Is the big end bearing failure down to fuel dilution? Is this why they thought a HDEO could cope better?

Does the oil cooler issue lead to coolant entering the oil?

Thanks for your help.

Tikka.

Lugging is running an engine at unusually low rpm (high gear relative to the road speed) with the throttle wide open or nearly so. Though a diesel is sort of intended to run this way and handle it better than a gas engine, it is a lot of stress on the bearings.

Lugging is like when you shift from 1st to 3rd or 4th by mistake. If the car does not stall and you floor it you go nowhere fast and the engine is crying.

Hi
So that is what 'Lugging' means. We call it 'labouring' over here.

Not easy to do with an auto box though
smile.gif

So when it comes to a used vehicle with this engine I guess the following would help?

Ensure vehicle has documented history of timely performed oil changes.

Monitor engine oil by UOA and use a good quality 5/40 HDEO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back