Pump gasoline into EcoDiesel? What happens?

I posted the other day about my friend Debbie's 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, regarding starter run on.
It was also throwing an error code, P06 (not sure). Had to do with fuel injectors.
She took it in for the starter issue. They got back to her today with a contaminated fuel diagnoses.
Of course this was for the trouble code...

Debbie is a sharp person. She and he deceased husband took in and raised like 25 foster children over the years.
Many were the worst of the troubled kids. And they did it on meager earnings. Amazing people.

She told me she had 1/2 or more fuel in the tank. They filled up in Clearlake and drove home to San Jose, about 190 miles.
The GC ran fine with the exception of the starter failure to disengage.

I seriously doubt Debbie grabbed the wrong nozzle. No one else has used her GC.
Is it possible the pump had bad diesel?
And can the GC EcoDiesel run on it? I thought the diesel fuel was also for upper lubrication?

They quoted her $2,100 to "fix".
Could she just drive it and keep filling the tank to minimize the gasoline content?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

I have had numerous misfuels in the years I was a fleet manager, diesel in gas and gas in diesel.

Diesel in gas isn't too bad, dilution if it was a small amount or drain and fill the tank and you're good to go.

Gas in diesel will damage the pump and injectors pretty quickly.
I can't see driving 190 miles on a gasoline fill and it drives fine with nothing wrong noted.
OTOH, I have seen water in diesel fuel damage injectors when the water filter doesn't trap all the water.
Ford is "famous" for this warranty denial reason.

In this engine, this can become a 15k bill easily.

The CP4 injection pump is a good pump, but does not stand up to gasoline/air/contaminants very well. If it starts to come apart, it will typically shed metal downstream, which almost always takes out the injectors, and typically an entire fuel system replacement is necessary.

If the truck still runs, that is a good start and there is probably not much damage. But I would clean the fuel out as best I can.

The common rail pumps don't tolerate gasoline at all. The tolerances are so small and the ULSD is barely enough to keep them alive. Gasoline acts like a solvent and it diminishes the lubrication aspect of the fuel. The Run-On may also be because of the gasoline contamination. Washed the injectors and allowing fuel to creep by maybe. I would have her pull her own sample before dealing with the warranty people. I would give serious thought of trading it earlier rather than later.

Last edited:
+1 on the insurance claim option. I've experienced this on the Bluetec before. It was a $15k repair that my comprehensive coverage covered.

The gas station is liable for bad fuel, IF the receipt indicates diesel purchased & the pump dispensed gasoline (out of the diesel nozzle). This happened once to me at Speedway, idjit driver put gas in the diesel tank, stealer replaced 4 $1000 injectors before they checked the fuel (which was half gas, half diesel}. I told the company to sic Wright Express on Speedway, but I don't think they ever got reimbursed for the repair (& rental). It still ran, but badly.

To the PO-I would be telling her to have the dealer drain all the fuel, fill it with #2 & put a healthy dose of Power Service, Stanadyne, or the lubricity fuel treatment of choice and try it-they're not going to make it any worse. Or pull all the fuel receipts & prepare to "LAWYER UP"!!

We see it a lot. What is really bad is DEF in diesel fuel. Ford has kits for the 6.7 that rotate on eternal intergalactic back-order that includes the HPFP, injectors, and rails. Ends up being around $5k in parts not including labor.

Debbie does not have a receipt, but they did pull up to the diesel pump. Maybe her credit card has more information...

So best case scenario, there was 3/4 tank diesel and 1/4 tank gasoline.
Worst case, 50/50.
They drove the 190 miles home trailoring a small boat.
Debbie told me the GC runs fine.

This vehicle was the better part of $50K out the door. If she sells it, she will take a beating. Maybe $12K? Dunno.
If it croaks, it will be worse.

I apprecaite all your guidance. I will keep you posted with further information as I get it.

I have had numerous misfuels in the years I was a fleet manager, diesel in gas and gas in diesel.

Diesel in gas isn't too bad, dilution if it was a small amount or drain and fill the tank and you're good to go.

Gas in diesel will damage the pump and injectors pretty quickly.
I can't see driving 190 miles on a gasoline fill and it drives fine with nothing wrong noted.
OTOH, I have seen water in diesel fuel damage injectors when the water filter doesn't trap all the water.
Ford is "famous" for this warranty denial reason.
its probably the HPFP, a common failure of a garbage disposable engine

the sad part is when the pump fails the vehicle is worth less than the cost of repair

"While supplying high-pressure fuel is an injection pump's job, the CP4 does so with a high probability of failing (typically around the 100,000-mile mark) and leaving owners with a need to overhaul their truck's entire fuel system, at a cost that can be anywhere between $8,000 and $10,000."

its probably the HPFP, a common failure of a garbage disposable engine

the sad part is when the pump fails the vehicle is worth less than the cost of repair

"While supplying high-pressure fuel is an injection pump's job, the CP4 does so with a high probability of failing (typically around the 100,000-mile mark) and leaving owners with a need to overhaul their truck's entire fuel system, at a cost that can be anywhere between $8,000 and $10,000."
I was referring to this. Rusty injectors.

Rusty Injectors= NO WARRANTY - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (ford-trucks.com)

We had a local gas station here that got a load of gas delivered in their diesel tank. Certainly possible that it happened to your friend.

Seems very speculative that there is gasoline in there. The chance of poorly filtered fuel, water in the fuel, algae, etc, seems much higher. $2100 for a fix doesn’t sound like major equipment, rather like the replacement of some filters and lines, tank drop and rinse, etc., at retail dealership cost (Which I suspect is extremely high in business unfriendly CA). What is in the work scope?

Debbie told me she thinks she pumped in about 14 gallons or a half tank. Ouch.
The dealership is dropping the tank, flushing the lines, changing filters and checking pump (is that FI pump?), injectors, etc.
They have seen this before; they have a procedure. They also told me this engine is crap.

Work is scheduled to be completed next week.

Hopefully she gets it situated and repaired. Unless she has some stated need for driving a diesel passenger car, sounds like she would be better off getting rid of it and into a gasser. Modern diesels are a handful even for people that are into cars but for the uninitiated and especially women that are just pump the fuel and drive types, they are better served driving gassers. Do not mean to come off sexist, just stating the reality.

Back