What Weight Track Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been running Amsoil MCT 20W-50 and Maxima Ultra 5W-50 in our 2 track bikes both 09+12 GSX-R1000's.

We were running the 20W-50 weight based on feedback from Amsoil, UOA's and how well it held up after several weekends at the track.

Sunrah has me convinced to change the oil at a shorter interval as the motors spend most of their time at very high rpms beating up the oil.

With the short change intervals I will be using should I move to a 10W-40 or the 530RR Maxima stuff since I no longer need the 50W.

Thanks

http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3

I am far from an expert, but I personally like to stay on the thicker side of oil in bikes. I would personally stay with the 50 in those oils. But that is just me and did drag racing rather than road racing.

Am I the only one who can't stand when someone just dumps some answer without any effort into explaining why they suggest it?

Its hard to say really. With a quality synthetic you may be able to get away with a 40W but if a 50W full synthetic is shearing it might be more worth your while sticking to it. Stick to a 50W. You know it works.

The only benefit I could see is if you shift to a 40W and experience less shear...ending up with the same visco as your 50W after it has sheared. You might be able to free up a little power that way by running thinner oil.

But realistically a 40W is likely to shear down just as your 50W has; I would stick to a 50W. You could try running a 40W and seeing through a UOA what you end up with but really, in an air cooled motor, racing, the risks with running thinner are probably significant compared to the slightly lower drag coefficient from a thinner oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RiceCake
Am I the only one who can't stand when someone just dumps some answer without any effort into explaining why they suggest it?

No

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Rotella 15w-40 conventional.

I broke the motor in on this oil but I am not a fan of it on the track.

If the comment about not explaining was directed towards me, simple answer...we assemble with looser clearances in drag - at least what my builder does and what I prefer. I also have seen a few broken parts when on the 40 wt. Did it mean the oil was a factor in the hurt motor, probably not...but I try to stay with what I've seen work and had luck with. But again, I don't road race for long lengths of time, so I'm not an expert for what works there. I just gave my opinion on a question asked. I've also heard the 40 wt tend to sheer down to about a 30 wt in a shared sump, however, this was not my personal study.

Originally Posted By: BillyTheKid
If the comment about not explaining was directed towards me, simple answer...we assemble with looser clearances in drag - at least what my builder does and what I prefer. I also have seen a few broken parts when on the 40 wt. Did it mean the oil was a factor in the hurt motor, probably not...but I try to stay with what I've seen work and had luck with. But again, I don't road race for long lengths of time, so I'm not an expert for what works there. I just gave my opinion on a question asked. I've also heard the 40 wt tend to sheer down to about a 30 wt in a shared sump, however, this was not my personal study.

Very good point about shear. I gapped it. The tranny beats the oil to death being squished in the teeth of the gears.
I can always tell when my oil needs changed on my shadow. The shift lever no longer engages smoothly,the top end becomes very clickety clack. Rotella conventional lasts the most miles before these issues present them self and once I change the oil it shifts perfectly again and is whisper quiet again.
Amsoil yellow cap 0w-40 was second. Mobil 10w-40 mc specific oil lasted 1000 miles.
I know this isn't very high tech but I know my bikes and how then run and different oils do affect little things that an owner can feel.
I liked the conventional because it was cost effective and I can get it in a 5 gallon pail which is convenient because all 4 of my bikes use it.
I've noticed my bikes get alot of fuel by the rings. Carbs and running a bit rich to keep combustion temps cooler so I change the oil often.
Anyways OP maybe pm sunruh. He is what I consider an expert when it comes to bike oils and the proper oil for your application.
Last I read he had something like 50 used oil analysis from different bikes in different applications. He know bike oils.
Hopefully he'll see this thread and post but if not maybe pm him.

As I mentioned in the thread I started in this section a little while ago, I'm using Delo 400 15W-40 in my 99 R6 trackbike. I get the Delo in 20 litre drums and use it in my dirtbike (TTR 250) and car (1.5 Festiva). So for simplicity, I use the delo in the trakkie too.

I also do it as Delo is a lot cheaper than Maxima, Motul, Amsoil and other oils.

Last edited:
LOL! Since when is the word [censored] (opposite of heaven) a swear word!!!
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: sunruh
let's see those uoa's!!!

pretty please with moly on top

steve

Will do, I emailed my buddy to send me the UOS's. I will post them up.

I have a kit waiting for me as I plan to do a UOA on fresh Amsoil 20W-50 after 3 weekend of use once the season starts. Should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back