what weight synthetic engine oil as gun lube?

50% ATF, 25% STP, 25% Mobil1 30 grade. I mixed up a batch 30 years ago on the advice of a National Guard armorer and I’ve not used anything else (except grease) since.

The ATF gives it good penetrating ability, the STP makes It cling to surfaces and the synthetic oil resists burnoff at high temperature.
I'm assuming by STP, you mean the STP oil additive? What would you recommend for ATF? An older formulation like Dextron3? Or does it not matter? Interested in this formula for my new Shield9 Plus and 1970's Remington 870 Wingmaster. I gots plenty of oil and ATF just sitting around...if this formula is that good, I'll try it in place of the standard Hoppe's gun oil.

I'm assuming by STP, you mean the STP oil additive? What would you recommend for ATF? An older formulation like Dextron3? Or does it not matter? Interested in this formula for my new Shield9 Plus and 1970's Remington 870 Wingmaster. I gots plenty of oil and ATF just sitting around...if this formula is that good, I'll try it in place of the standard Hoppe's gun oil.
Yes, STP oil additive. As for the ATF I just used whatever version of Dexron was on the shelf at Walmart in the early 90’s. In all the intervening years I’ve never found a better lube.

I just use whatever 1/4 quart I have leftover in my stash. I have used many different brands and viscosities and I have never been able to notice much of any difference when used to lube guns.. I have other Lubes that I like better for the guns that my life may depend on..

Yes, STP oil additive. As for the ATF I just used whatever version of Dexron was on the shelf at Walmart in the early 90’s. In all the intervening years I’ve never found a better lube.
Thank you. I took the gun to the range this morning to break it in a bit. Sitting down to clean it now. Gonna use some Lucas gun oil that I cut with Tri-Flow for now....until I mix up your stuff. I'm very curious to see how it does! Appreciate the info.

When my grandfather started teaching me firearm safety and how to shoot at age 5, he would use 3 IN 1 oil on his firearms.
I still use it from time to time.
I did too until someone pointed out that the metal can was actually rusted on top in spite of having a film of oil on it.

Thinner is better. Maybe a bit more wear. But the wear will never lead to a shorter life. On my glocks I use a clp that is lighter than water.
If anything..reliability will be higher with very light oil

Back