What weight oil for this built Chevy motor.

Picked this up a few years ago and only put a couple hundred miles on it, so its time for an oil change. No idea what all was done other than what you see here. Would 20W50 be the way to go? I don't expect to drive it below 40°F, and it's hard enough to start below 60° as it has no choke.

View attachment 131985
That looks like a (?1990s to 2000?) Chevy Performance Parts engine installed in a newer /modern vehicle. What is that nice chunk of horsepower sitting in at the moment? Any photos? :) My guess is inside a Camaro or Firebird. I would use a 5w40 , any brand you like.

Last edited:
Depends.....
I built the LT1 for the camaro in my sig.
It's no slouch and makes peak power at 6500 and stays there until 7000 rpm.
I re-used the factory crank and with a polish, it got std bearings installed, new cam bearings of course, a higher pressure oil pump relief spring and it approaches 80 psi at idle on cold starts and maintains 40+ psi at hot idle at 825 rpm
of course its a roller motor and I run 5w30, no need for me to run anything thicker than that with this engine.
If this engine has flat tappets it changes things a tad

The strut towers and and brake master cylinder kind of wreaks like a 3rd gen F-body, in which case if the block is factory there's a chance it could be a roller motor if it's new enough

I can tell it's a small block Chevy, and that's about it. Maybe a reverse rotation water pump? with a serpentine setup--not that that'd impact oil choice. PS, AC, can't tell if PB. Alloy heads. Headers. All of which means... no idea what oil.

I'd plan on changing often. I'm not following the whole zinc controversy, 'cuz I'll never own something for which it matters, but a carb setup to me says "change early and often". If you're not going to run below 60F or so, then what the heck, 15W40. Maybe run a 5W30 for a bit, as a flush, and take out for a drive, just to see what the oil pressure does, if it seems to drop when hot, then you'll know it needs something thicker.

Maybe pop the valve cover and see if it has roller rockers (might be a good time to check lash). Not sure, can you use a borescope to snake down and see what kind of lifers it has? I want to say rollers "always" have some sort of tie bar across them, something to give away their presence in a SBC, but I'm probably wrong.

What is that nice chunk of horsepower sitting in at the moment? Any photos? :)
1.jpg

The color helps it look more menacing. (y)Is that one of the (manufactured five years only) Chevy IROC cars? I used to love watching the IROC short races that several racers from different racing leagues would drive in. They were awesome looking all packed tight going around those banked ovals. When I reluctantly sold my last Chevelle in 2019 it wasnt too long I was kicking myself and looking for another toy. I was on the hunt for an IROC or a Firebird from that same time frame. Health issues and age shut it all down. Now I have to enjoy what you guys have! Get that thing on the road and make some smoke!

In college, my Nova had a SBC with a high-volume oil pump AND used 20w50. The temps dipped into the teens often but never had a problem. Of course, I had enough sense not to turn the key and take it to red line.

Back