What Viscosity of Mobil1 will Hold Up Better In Turbo Use - 10w-30 vs 0w-40 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, been away for a bit. I've been debating whether to run Mobil1 0w-40 or their 10w-30 in my turbocharged 04 Dodge SRT-4. Right now I've got Mobil1 10w-30 mainly because the owners manual called for either Mobil1 5w-30 or 10w-30 depending on weather temps. Normally an oil with a lower spread such as 10w-30 is expected to hold up better in hard use - less shearing ?. But Mobil1's 0w-40 meets the European A3 spec, and even if it shears a little bit that might not be too bad considering the manufacturer is willing to go a low as a 30 weight.

My use is mainly daily driving, mixed highway and city driving, hoping to take the oil 5000 miles. What do you guys think, should I stick with the 10w-30 or go with the 0w-40 weight. Basically wondering if a 0w oil will hold up to turbo use.

thanks for any opinions.

Joey

Myself I have been using the 0w40 m1. I think its marketed as some sort of turbo oil in europe (just hearsay though).
I like it (I like it even more since it was 2$/qt for me)
For my 2cents I would say use the 0w40... if its the same price.. I would think its a good all year oil for you up there in canada...
Rand

a similar topic
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005946

[ March 23, 2004, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: Rand ]

I used M1 0W-40 for a while in my SAAB turbo, and it was fine, but it always sheared about 8% after 5,000 miles. Dunno if that really matters but I'd prefer the viscosity to stay relatively constant.

Now I'm trying GC and I like it better... better turbo response, the engine feels smoother and revs more easily, and also, the GC seems more resistant to shearing.

Next up I will try Delvac 1...

I've also been using M1 0W-40 for the past 10k mi OCI in my Saab turbo, but I'll be switching over to the 5W-40 soon.

If you sift thru the UOAs here, I think you'll find that the 0W-40 is the single most popular oil for high-performance, turbocharged engines. (But with the increasing availability of M1's new 5W-40, I expect this to be the new turbo favorite.) With your short 5k mi change intervals & moderate climate, I'd think the 0W-40 would be the perfect year-round choice.

I use M1 0W-40 for a 87 Subaru Turbo in a winter driver application. I know I want the flow of a 0 weight at start up with the 40 weight to keep that turbo happy. I don't notice the car running any better than when I used the M1 5w30, but it always started here in the cold of Wisconsin at 1am when I go to work.

Chad
87 Subaru GL-10 Turbo
92 SHO

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Even though Delvac 1 has proven itself to be a very good oil, I think I'd still rather run the 0w40 M1 over the 5w40. Especially considering I drive mine in the cold winter.

But I also just think the 0w40 is better suited for high performance engines, while the 5w40 is better suited for long drains in trucks.
dunno.gif

Maybe an element of truth here. Perhaps calling it Truck/SUV formula is not just totally marketing hype.

Ah, how quickly we forget ...
wink.gif

Guys, here are the VOAs for Saab's 0W-30 full syn & 5W-30 syn blend OE oils sold in the U.S. As you can see, the additive levels are comparable to Mobil's 5W-40 oils. Saab only sells turbocharged vehicles over here, & no diesel-powered vehicles (or trucks, yet) at all.

I would agree that these oils are suitable for extended drain intervals, but not that they're only suitable for trucks!
shocked.gif

We haven't seen enough Delvac 1 5w40 UOAs on here in performance cars to decide if it's a good oil to use in them or not though.

Hi,
Patman - there are six consecutive UOAs from my Porsche V8 - four are using Shell Helix Ultra 15w-50 synthetic and two using Delvac 1
Consecutive viewing shows the wear "trends" very well

Delvac 1 5w-40 is an ideal oil in turbo-charged engines. Its big feature is its ability to maintain viscosity over very long periods and with "core" oil temperatures at 100C+

I have not used M1 SuperSyn at all. I believe that the 0w-40 is an excellent product. Delvac 1 will simply do the turbo-charger lubrication task better keeping the turbo's internals cleaner
as well

Regards

Even though Delvac 1 has proven itself to be a very good oil, I think I'd still rather run the 0w40 M1 over the 5w40. Especially considering I drive mine in the cold winter.

But I also just think the 0w40 is better suited for high performance engines, while the 5w40 is better suited for long drains in trucks.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

dunno.gif

Maybe an element of truth here. Perhaps calling it Truck/SUV formula is not just totally marketing hype.

Here's the UOA's on my Audi S4 twin turbo. First two were using Amsoil 0W30, the last one was using M1 0W40. I've been using Amsoil 0W30 since only because my car seems to run quiter and smoother with the Amsoil. You don't necessarily need a 40 weight for turbos.

-

I agree with PaJohn, however, the S2k price is a bit steep so I'd go with the M1 10w-30 or 0w-40. These Audi engines wear nicely as we've seen lately. Can't go wrong with any of the oils you mentioned.
smile.gif

Hi Sprintman,

your comments are so true. In 1992 when Porsche started to factory fill with a synthetic oil it was Shell 5w-40.
Some engines were "allowed" to use 10w-30

When switching to Mobil 1 about 1994 it was M1 5w-40 and it has been M1 0w-40 ever since it was introduced. It is of course on their "Approved List"

Regards
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Doug
MY02 Subaru Outback 2.5 manual (Delvac 1 107kkms)
MY98 BMW Z3 2.8 manual (Delvac 1 55kkms)
MY89 Porsche 928 S4 Auto (Delvac 1 125kkms)

I tried the Mobil 0w-40 and it was ok until 4k miles and then I noticed a little rough idle when hot. I've read hear that it shears to a 30 weight so I pulled the plug on it and put in GC and I like it better so far (after 1k miles). The GC seems smoother and revs better I think.

I guess this red herring is going to be as persistent as the "necessity" of 3k mile OCIs.
rolleyes.gif
"Shears to a 30 weight" means nothing, simply because "weight grades" are arbitrary limits used to identify viscosity ranges. There's no magical boundary for an oil to cross over, signaling a change from one weight to another. What you care about it percentage of change, & M1 0W-40 has shown to be just as stable (or more so) as an imported 0W-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back