What "Type" is Honda DW-1?

I recently got sold off the last of the Hondas that resided in my house. I have several quarts of DW-1. I'm basically wondering what other cars I can use it in... since it wasn't particularly cheap.

The Saturn Vue was available with a Honda V6 and automatic transmission. Other than that, you shouldn't use DW1 in a non-Honda transmission. It has levels of zinc that are toxic to other transmissions.

Most Honda transmissions don't use planetary gears like most other automatics. Instead, they are more like an automated manual.

I agree that a p/s system is the only place I’d use DW-1 outside of a Honda tranny that called for it (or for the preceding Z-1 fluid). DO NOT use it in a tranny that calls for Dexron or Mercon.

It must be pretty dang close to DexIII, I recall some of the Honda manuals stating you can use DexIII if the DW-1 was not available.

Not that I'm recommending it, but I used the DW-1 (got it free from work) in my old Trailblazer for quite some time with no issues.

You don't see any DexIII vehicle owners' manuals stating to use DW-1 if Dex3 was not available.

Sell it or donate it to another Hondacura owner for their transmission.

Lube some hinges, maybe your garage door chain, chainsaw chain..... or mix up your own penetrating oil or gun lube with it.

At $7-8 per quart, DW-1 is one of the least expensive OEM ATFs.

I'd list it locally for $5ea. Someone will take it off your hands.

Not sure where you are at but I would be interested in it if you want to sell it and I could pick up locally. I am outside of Harrisburg, PA

If we could reach a fair price I'd buy it all. I'm going to be working the Iola swap meet in a couple of weeks, staying in Appleton in the evenings if you are close to either.

Of course if you can make it work with wlk he did ask first.

It must be pretty dang close to DexIII, I recall some of the Honda manuals stating you can use DexIII if the DW-1 was not available.

Not that I'm recommending it, but I used the DW-1 (got it free from work) in my old Trailblazer for quite some time with no issues.

It's extremely different, additive-wise. Using a 'universal' (which is kinda-sorta a Dex-type) in a Honda tranny may be okay, but using Z-1 or DW-1 in a hon-Honda tranny is NOT a good idea. MoleKule has posted about this very specifically.

It's extremely different, additive-wise. Using a 'universal' (which is kinda-sorta a Dex-type) in a Honda tranny may be okay, but using Z-1 or DW-1 in a hon-Honda tranny is NOT a good idea. MoleKule has posted about this very specifically.
Like I said,* not * recommending it. But A lot of the generic dex/DW fluids have pretty similar specs asides from phosphorus content, and some of the generic dex fluids seem to have slightly higher phos contents which is probably why ol' Blazey didn't seem to mind it. Drove it a long while with that fluid until I sold it and it's still running around with dw-1 in the pan.

Back