What tree for grave side

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found out this week a dear friend's mother passed at 97, It has been a few months and I did not know.

I am going to visit him this weekend. Before she passed she asked brother to bring a tree when we come to visit her after she passes and plant it at her grave side.

1. What kind of tree would be proper or you would suggest?
2. I am pretty sure we can't plant anything without auth from the cemetery management

But I wanted to at least try.

It's a beautiful gesture.
I would suggest a flowering tree, maybe a dogwood or a camelia.

Very unlikely you can plant a tree. Does the cemetery have the upright grave stones or the flat markers? The cemeteries around me don't even allow tomb stones because it makes it harder to cut the grass. The tree roots next to a grave site would... you know, that wouldn't be good.

Try to call cemetery first before you show up with a tree.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if the cemetery management allows you to plant a tree in an area where they are still opening new graves.

That said, planting a tree is a great gesture to remember a loved one. I'd consider looking for another, more appropriate place to plant it. See if a city, county, or state park would allow you to do it. Or maybe private land. When my mother in law passed my in laws planted a tree in her memory on a University campus. There is even a plaque with my MIL's name and a dedication from the family.

Originally Posted By: stockrex

I found out this week a dear friend's mother passed at 97, It has been a few months and I did not know.

I am going to visit him this weekend. Before she passed she asked brother to bring a tree when we come to visit her after she passes and plant it at her grave side.

1. What kind of tree would be proper or you would suggest?
2. I am pretty sure we can't plant anything without auth from the cemetery management

But I wanted to at least try.

Planting a memory tree for a loved one is a good idea. Planting a tree in a cemetery is a very bad idea. Can you imagine what a mess a cemetery would be if everyone started planting trees wherever they wanted?

It will just get mowed over or pulled up.

Originally Posted By: Al
Not a chance they will allow it. Plant it somewhere in memory of her.

+1 I planted a tree for each of my kids birth and for my grandfatehr and mother's passing. it's nice and makes you feel good.

I ended up buying a Dogwood,
They will figure out where to put the tree, the brother were not sure if they will put around her grave.

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back