What to use on water pump bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I removed a water pump from a 2005 Taurus with a 3.0 OHV Vulcan V-6. There are basically 6 bolts that used a 10 mm wrench and 6 that used a 8 mm wrench. To my surprise the 10 mm ones had some dried out red material that looked like " Loctite ". The pump was a Ford product and I'm not sure if it was original since I bought the car with 40,000 miles. The block is cast iron. To my knowledge none go through a water jacket.

I'll clean up the bolts but what if anything do you use on water pump bolts and have you heard of Ford using Loctite on the larger bolts. Thanks.

Last edited:
When I had the water pumps replaced on my older F-150, and my wife's Mustang, (both 5.0 V-8's), they had two long bolts that were tricky to get out without breaking. The mechanic who did both jobs managed to get them out without breaking anything. He then cleaned the threads on the bolts, and ran a tap into the holes to chase any garbage out of the threads. He used this on the threads when he reassembled everything. Coincidentally it's the same stuff I've used on just about everything from spark plugs, shock absorber bolts, to lug nuts. I've never had anything stick or break with it. If you don't like or want copper for whatever reason, it comes in Aluminum as well as Nickel.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Copp...;sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=permatex+c5-a

Here is a shot of one of the bolts. Also, just an edit, the larger bolts used a 12 mm wrench, not 10. ( These posts last forever, so might a well be accurate).
smile.gif

042EA885-B5AD-446B-9DAC-5A7746A41DEF.jpeg

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Here is a shot of one of the bolts. Also, just an edit, the larger bolts used a 12 mm wrench, not 10. ( These posts last forever, so might a well be accurate).
smile.gif

That bolt needs replaced. Loctite makes heavy duty thread sealer which is what that looks like.

Go get some food and a drink. You do'nt use RTV the squish can clog up cooling passages. Jeep V8s had an aluminum timing cover. Some water pump bolts went into water jackets so I used Permatex Aviation Forma-Gasket #2.An old school non -hardening sealer gooped onto every bolt regardless. No problems. When the 528e needed a water pump I gooped the bolts just 'cuz. 120 K later, I changed the pump just 'cuz it had been on for 2 timing belts already. The pump was still good, but for how much longer? Aluminum pump , cast iron block. The goop prevented the galvanic action of dis-similar metals and the bolts were no problem. Since then every bolt passing through aluminum gets gooped. :grin2;

Permatex 2-B on water pump bolt threads. I've used it several times throughout my life and never had any leaks.

To remove it from your hands and tools, use brake fluid.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by andyd
When the 528e needed a water pump I gooped the bolts just 'cuz. 120 K later, I changed the pump just 'cuz it had been on for 2 timing belts already. The pump was still good, but for how much longer? Aluminum pump , cast iron block. The goop prevented the galvanic action of dis-similar metals and the bolts were no problem. Since then every bolt passing through aluminum gets gooped. :grin2;

Goop is for fixing shoes or a coffee mug, do not use it anywhere near an engine.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Warstud
It's most likely Red RTV and not Red Loctite.

You don't want Red Loctite on ANYTHING that you ever want to take apart again, unless you can heat it with a torch! I still think orange high temp RTV will work, just don't go crazy with it, and leave the first couple threads dry-just like the one in the picture.

Those bolts are like 28 bucks each and come in packs of 3.

You don't want to seal them to the WP or timing cover either. Unless you are sure you're never taking it out again.

PST works fine, the FSM (or all data DIY) will tell you which ones it's actually required on.

When I did the timing cover, water pump etc. on a 3.0 ranger the repair info called for some kind of anaerobic sealant on some of the bolts. I don't remember which bolts or what was on them when they came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back