what to use on door seals

Modern door seals (are they even rubber anymore? My guess would go to polymer based materials?)

Some say silicone is good - protects and cares, others say stay away from silicone....

Meguiars Ultimate Protectant? (UV clear coat technology)?
303 aerospace?
silicone spray?

I would like a product that does long term good - rather than short term good appearance and long term negative effects.

I would use a dedicated rubber protectant like the EinsZett applicator or 303 Rubber Seal Protectant. Silicone may not be ideal.

I believe that most automotive door seals are made from EDPM rubber. I have used 303 on mine and have not noticed any issues its also reccomended by the manufacter for seals and RV roofs, just check the label or web site to be sure its EDPM safe.

Modern door seals (are they even rubber anymore? My guess would go to polymer based materials?)

Some say silicone is good - protects and cares, others say stay away from silicone....

Meguiars Ultimate Protectant? (UV clear coat technology)?
303 aerospace?
silicone spray?

I would like a product that does long term good - rather than short term good appearance and long term negative effects.
Kleen-Flo Rubber Care.

I believe that most automotive door seals are made from EDPM rubber.

Yep.

I use this, cheap and effective.

I rub it on once a year (or two). Useful for many other purposes, too (I used it just today re-assembling brake parts after a wheel bearing change).

I like 303 Aerospace (quite a bit) forinside and certain things, but for door, trunk, sunroof, etc. seals I think this is better.

For years I've been using Lucas Slick Mist Speed Wax on the wiper blades, all weather stripping, etc. and it leaves things working like new and without a doubt prolongs useful life and appearance. Doesn't leave any sort of oily/sticky residue like other products either.

I found this to be very good, and the doors don't freeze shut during the winter if it's applied before the first freeze.

Attachments

• 71lhOvprCwL._AC_SY879_.jpg
    71lhOvprCwL._AC_SY879_.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 33
I recently used Meguiar's #40 on my 7 year old car as a preventative measure since I was looking at potentially replacing door seals due to a leak (which thankfully was not the cause) since replacement door/window seals for my car are $200+ each door. #40 is an all in one (cleaner/conditioner/protectant) which is a plus if you're kinda lazy like me and can be used on vinyl and rubber; Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant supposedly lasts longer than #40 when exposed to the elements, but will require a separate cleaning prior to applying. #40 seems like it did the job well enough for me; it restored the color and has softened it up a little, lasting about 5 months so far which is fine for me since I like to do a more thorough seasonal prep/cleanings every 6 months.

I've also used these on my tires and they're pretty decent; it will give a mild shine to them when first applied, but the rain easily makes the shine go away. However, it leaves a nice "new tire" black look and has keeps the browning away for about a month at a time with 4-5 rain storms.

Attachments

• 815uFt0aaeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    815uFt0aaeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 21
This is the response I received from Candan Industries Australia.

Good morning xxxxxx,and thanks for your inquiry, unfortunately most of our products are oil based, door rubbers and seals are made up of composition rubbers and polyurethane, oils will tend to swell this type of rubber ,the only thing I can come up with is a clear barrier cream, you need to use something anti static so as not to attract dust and dirt, hope this helps,

Regards

xxxxxx xxxxx

Candan industries

Back