What to run through snowblower engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
that will help clean [censored] out of the carburetor? Normally I'd just pull the carb apart and clean it up but the engine runs fairly well, just that it needs half choke all the time, I can never go full lean or the engine oscillates like crazy. Plus there's weird tools required to pull the carb apart and it's buried under multiple guards, so it'd be easier if I could run some fuel system cleaner through it. Just not sure what would be best to use

What kind of engine? But I will say I wish I knew of something that will do that, but I have found that 99 % of the time nothing works except taking it at least partially apart. But you can try a strong dose of most any major brand of gas tank carb cleaner. Possibly by the time you have run a tank full of fuel with a STRONG mix of cleaner in it, it will straighten out.

Varnish from old fuel is the most common deposit on small engine carbs, PEA cleaners are not well suited to removing this, Berrymans Chemtool does a much better job on it. Put a good splash in the tank and run it or empty the carb and fill the bowl with the chemtool through the fuel hose from the tank, pull it through a couple of time and let it sit overnight.
Put a splash of chemtool in the tank with new fuel afterwards and run it as usual.

What about Kano Kreen? Might be over kill, but if that doesn't work than I doubt anything will. Its a big deal on the Oldsmobile and Caddy forums that deal with coked piston rings.

I've used SeaFoam with good luck at cleaning and keeping a fuel system clean.

Were it me, I'd go to an old style auto parts store and look for 'technical grade' spray cleaner and try to spray any exposed jets and vents in the carb. Usually, it's the low speed/idle circuit that clogs first.

My 2¢

If one can get the bowl off that's where I have found most of the offending gunk is and with a aerosol of carb cleaner can get it cleaned out and the jet cleaned usually gets things going on blower systems. Will be trying to get mine going soon as they are forecasting s#!t this Friday

Last edited:
If it's an older Tecumseh flat head engine with a non-adjustable carb, you can fix it in 10 min or less. Shut off fuel. Drain bowl by pressing bowl drain. Remove large bowl retaining nut on bottom of carb. Don't take off bowl if stuck on. Use carb spray to clean nut and the wire from a bread twisty or wire brush wire to clean the two small holes on the side of the nut. Should run like new. If newer OHV engine, try a 50/50 mix of sea foam and gas.

Dave

It's troybilt not sure of the engine make. I'll go look and see if it even says the make externally after I post this but I think they like to hide it. Also has electric start so I don't look at the pull starter much, where the brand usually would be.

It says only Troy Bilt on it. Did they make engines?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Varnish from old fuel is the most common deposit on small engine carbs, PEA cleaners are not well suited to removing this, Berrymans Chemtool does a much better job on it. Put a good splash in the tank and run it or empty the carb and fill the bowl with the chemtool through the fuel hose from the tank, pull it through a couple of time and let it sit overnight.
Put a splash of chemtool in the tank with new fuel afterwards and run it as usual.

Going to go get a bottle of chemtool at AAP right now. How strong can the mix be? I only have about a third to quarter tank of fuel left. I can get more if necessary. I plan to run it dry, then put a little more gas with some fuel stabilizer, and run it for a few minutes to make sure it's filled with stabilized fuel. I wouldn't be surprised if there's 0 blowable snow this season based on weather so far.

Is the fuel in the tank stale? If so I would drain it, pour half a 1/4 of a bottle of Berryman and fill it with fresh fuel. Should do the trick.

It's an MTD product. Not sure why we don't know the engine make/model yet. If it's older, it's probably got a Tecumseh flat head or potentially a OHV engine on it. If it's newer than 2009 or so, it's probably got a Chinese OHV engine on it. If you have cleaned the carb in the past and the engine still behaves like this, I wouldn't waste my money on fuel additives. I'd just replace the carb.

If it is a Tecumseh Snow King motor check the crank key. Mine would need the choke to run and finally quit. Turned out the crank key for the flywheel was almost sheared off and the timing was way off.

Like JTK and SHOZ said, even a good cleaner might not do it. It might not even be deposits affecting the engine ... but something like a vacuum/air leak in the carb or where the carb attaches to the intake. This will cause the engine to run lean ... which is why adding choke makes it run better.

Vacuum looks/sounds to be the problem, ussually at intake/carb gasket. This will cause a surge, at all speeds.

jets rarely dont clog evenly (there are two or more).

harvey

p.s. dont forget to clean carb and look it over while it is off for this service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back