What to look for in a used snow blower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to purchase a snow blower for the first time in my life, and would like to get my feet wet with a used one. I'm no stranger to fixing lawn mowers, and enjoy that kind of stuff. But a blower is completely new to me, and I have no idea what to look for.

In terms of type, I know what I want -- a 20-21" single stage gas-powered blower. Something small and relatively light that won't take a ton of space. Two-stage blowers are too large for what I need. I understand that single stage blowers spin rubber paddles when the belt is engaged. Some seem to use Tecumseh 2-cycle engines. The newer ones seem to be 4-cycles. I have no real preference, I don't guess. I'm looking in the $100-200 range, and there are a few around.

I imagine they rust. I imagine the carburetors get boogered up from setting all summer. Aside from that, I'm not really sure what to look for in a used blower.

Or, are they just not that complicated? Maybe they're really all the same underneath, like a mower? Any tips/suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you!

How much snow do you need to move? My 5hp 20" 2 stage (not sure what it is, Toro 520? something like that) just barely gets the job done for me. Push it into heavy snow and it can only toss snow 6', which isn't enough, so I often shovel large portions. Snow by the road, where the plow pushes it, can get thick and heavy, hard work for the blower, and it's usually the longest distance it needs to throw.

Personally I dislike 2 stroke, and have avoided them. Just regular old gas.

Older is better, and all metal. Plastic stuff seems to fail.

Oh, and Toro seems to be very specific about needing real Toro belts. I've gone through a few, and I *thought* I had bought real Toro ones, but it appears that some of them weren't so real afterall--the current one magically works much better than the other ones I had been using.

Electric start can be nice too. Got a problem with starting? much nicer to hold a button while fiddling with the carb.

Originally Posted By: supton
How much snow do you need to move? My 5hp 20" 2 stage (not sure what it is, Toro 520? something like that) just barely gets the job done for me. Push it into heavy snow and it can only toss snow 6', which isn't enough, so I often shovel large portions. Snow by the road, where the plow pushes it, can get thick and heavy, hard work for the blower, and it's usually the longest distance it needs to throw.

Personally I dislike 2 stroke, and have avoided them. Just regular old gas.

Older is better, and all metal. Plastic stuff seems to fail.

You are in NH and he's in Virginia. I know NH gets those Noreaster storms which can dump a ton of snow.

I started out with a single stage snowblower and had to upgrade to a dual stage. If you have more than 6 inches of snow on your driveway a single stage will be a pain to use especially once you get to the bottom pf the driveway when you need to clear the hard ice and wet snow that will accumulate.

I would look to see what makes have parts easily available.

My single stage was an Ariens and I never had issues with it in 10 years. I always made sure I used stabilizer and always drained the gas at the end of the winter and ran it dry.

Make sure everything works on the one you are buying and check to make sure that nothing is badly rusted out from salt.

Last edited:
WARNING:

If the Chute becomes clogged with Snow,
DO NOT reach into it to clean.

A Relative did that and cut 4 fingers off his hand.

Much safer to use a wooden stick.

I'd do some youtubing on a single stage blower. Anytime I've ever seen one used, they look more painful than just getting out the shovel, or snow scoop. I assume you get wet snow most of the time and they really seem to struggle in that, and the end of the driveway after the municipal plow comes through.
It can be the right tool for people who don't have the coordination to run a self propelled two stage, or the strength to use a shovel, and its mostly seniors I see struggling with them.
Have you ever used a snow scoop? Its the ticket for moving heavy snow by hand, or a lot of snow. A few cubic yards is no big deal especially if you have slope to work with.

A lot depends upon how often you get snow, how much snow you usually get, how much area you need to clear, and what type of snow you get (wet heavy snow or light fluffy snow). That should drive your decision as to which blower to get. I have a small electric blower that I use to clear the deck and patio in the winter, and it works just fine for the 1,000 or so square feet for which I use it. I wouldn't want to clear our several hundred feet of 10' wide driveway with it though.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I imagine they rust.

They can, but even a little rusty and they'll still do the job. The rust is usually just surface rust, and if it's a used blower there will be a little in some areas.

I imagine the carburetors get boogered up from setting all summer.

Like any other piece of equipment, common sense is the key. I have a DR wheeled trimmer that I just put away for the winter, and I did nothing more than put it in a corner of the shed like I've done every fall for more than 20 years. Every spring it always fires up on the first pull, despite having E10 in it, which according to some should have destroyed it by now. I've never had to touch anything on it other than changing the oil, a plug or two, and trimmer lines. I simply use Stabil in all of the gasoline year-round and never have fuel related problems with any engines.

Aside from that, I'm not really sure what to look for in a used blower.

Just like any other piece of equipment, make sure it starts easily and everything works as it should. Make sure there is no belt slippage, no odd noises, etc.

Or, are they just not that complicated? Maybe they're really all the same underneath, like a mower?

The basics are the same; most single stage blowers work about the same, most 2 stage blowers work about the same, etc. Single stage blowers are significantly different than 2 stage blowers, and 3 stage blowers are much different than both of them.

point is I have a old Simplicity 8 hp. that runs perfect but a tiring PIA to use for more than 15 min., my old 5 hp. Snapper I can run all day.

I have enough real estate that it is too much for a shovel but a 2 stage would be massive overkill.
In about 35 years, I have gone through 2 single stage blowers (a Toro and a Craftsman) and am on my third.
IME, the best by far is the Toro. I have a single stage two cycle and it has gone through anything that I have ever needed it to go through. Electric start is a nice feature.

My parents have a simplicity single stage blower, belt driven 2 cycle. We got it after my grandmother drove over the big 2 stage simplicity and destroyed it without a dent or scratch to her car. It was a desperation purchase, but it has never failed to impress.

Works GREAT and is quick for clearing out paved driveways and sidewalks.

Make sure it says TORO on it.
Stick with a brand name. Wet snow is really hard work for a small single stage blower.
Those small 'snow pups' are often cheaply made and you'll work at hard WITH them as you would shoveling.
Get a blower with 'speeds'. And make sure they all work.

My 2¢

There's a Troy-Bilt Squall 521 on the local Craigslist. This is what it looks like on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGc8yHFW_tI

Seems that it would meet my needs. Seems to blow that 8-10" of snow a whole lot faster than I could shovel it, right?

I don't have the room for a two-stage. It's not an option.

You sure you can't fit a 2 stage? Our 22" Craftsman stores pretty compact as the handle folds on itself and it takes up no more space than that Troy-Bilt. It is taller but still manageable. It did great during last year's blizzard (and the previous ones as we've had it since 2003).

Something like this, if you can find it may fit your requirements:
http://www.sears.com/power-smart-7659-22...p;blockType=G10

A good toro single stage wont have any trouble with anything under 10" except the iceslush pile at the curb.

Anyone that thinks shoveling is easier than a single stage needs to have their head examined.

I can throw thousands of pounds of snow 15-25ft depending on composition.

They generally throw much more efficiently than older 2 stages for example.

The powercurve type blades are best.

IF you have a long driveway or one that doesnt require much turning around 2 stage IS significantly less work.

But in the 400-500$ price range that gets you a GREAT single stage.. not much of a 2 stage.
I usually maintain 3 driveways. The one driveway will fit 5 cars wide and 5 deep. I can go down the middle and it will throw to the edge on both sides even with 8" or 10" of crusty stuff.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Something like this, if you can find it may fit your requirements:
http://www.sears.com/power-smart-7659-22...p;blockType=G10

That particular two stage probably would store pretty well, yes. Going back to my first post, considering my budget ($100-200), the used two stages are either monstrously sized and old or just large sized and old. If I were buying new, I would have to look hard at that one you linked -- it does look like it would store compact.

A friend of mine in Holland, MI, has recently told me of his good luck with Toros. He's got a newer Toro single and really likes it. I think his has the 2 stroke R-tek engine that used to be Lawn-Boy's excellent Duraforce 2 stroke.

I'd peek at simplicity 2 stage. Mine is 15 years old and never broken down mechanically.

Craftsmen, Ariens and whatever home improvement sells break down mechanically not engine. I lend my out to neighbors who have these as I see them shoveling away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back