What to look for in a used 2005 ram 3500 cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks I've been used diesel hunting and I've found a 2005 Ram 3500 5.9 4x4 238,000 miles that I'm going to go look at. I'm not diesel saavy so any pointers on what to look at engine wise would be appreciated. It's a auto(really wanted a 6 speed manual) but it's been built by suncoast, who is very reputable in the area, maybe one of the best in the country. Ive heard you can check for blow by, by taking the oil cap off while the engine is running. Is that something I should do? What would I be looking for exactly? I felt really good about this one being decent until I had the guy send some extra pictures and there was two 10" subwoofers built in under the back seat. I'm all for having the subs but it makes me think this may have been owned by a younger person which may mean it's been ragged on or not kept up with service wise. Any advice would be appreciated.

I would be weary of a tuned engine. If you go in with the right attitude he may tell you all the things he has done to get more HP. As opposed to trying to hide them. Rust is always a concern.

Check front track bar, balljoints, wheel-bearings aka Unit Bearings, and front axle u-joints. If it was an early 05, check to see if it has a metal intercooler, the early ones had plastic endcaps. Check the condition of the turbo, if it's still stock, by pulling the air inlet and checking the up and down play on the turbine wheel. These are good trucks when the front end is fresh and tight. I miss mine, but it was totalled in 2012 with 200k on it.

I'm cool with the rough ride, buying it for towing. Didn't like the bank terms on the 05. Got approved with better terms on a 08 3500 6.7 6 spped manual. Still have to go check it out though. It is deleted though.

6 speed is the way you want to go. The 68RFE is an OK trans, but it won't take more power than stock.

With a single piece flywheel and a good clutch, the G56 will take a lot of abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back