Im search of a very high temperature oil in small qtys

Hello, first post on the forum, although I've been watching it for years from the sidelines. There are certainly a lot of smart people here and I'm hoping somebody can help me out with an industrial application. Googling seems to lead me in circles.
Essentially I'm in need of an oil or even possibly a grease, but I would prefer an oil, for a very high temperature application. I have press that is a very simple manual device. It's just a cast iron body that has a steel piston riding through its body. The body of the press which is cast iron has a heating element in it. The body of the press gets very hot, in excess of 500° Fahrenheit. The ram which does nothing more than impress logos with a small steel stamp, typically gets around 250° to 275° f. Almost every oil and grease that I've tried even mobile One synthetic smokes around 500°. This is a very low speed application. It's operated by my foot. But it's in open air, It sits on a workbench in an industrial environment. I can't have something smoking all day creating smoke in the workplace. Does anybody have any idea what kind of lubricant I could use to lubricate the ram inside of the body so the metal doesn't wear on each other? I don't want to use things like graphite because they actually seem to insulate the heat away from the ram, whereas I still want heat to conduct but I can't have the things smoking all day. This is the kind of thing that I would take a dab of oil on my finger lubricate the ram, and it would be good for a couple days worth of use. Imagine a heated arbor press and that's essentially what it is. Except the ram is not square, it's a round steel ram inside of a cast iron body. In small quantities like a quart or a gallon? I mean a quart would probably last me 2 years. Thank you for your help

There's greases for use in ovens, they are likely based on a bentonite clay, and likely fortified with copper and aluminum particles.

I have some ravenol motorcycle oil, 10W-30 with a 500°F flashpoint. Haven't come across any higher that I can remember

This stuff claims an operating temperature to 604F. Small tube, seems to fit your needs. $13/tube on Amazon

1701967466996.png

Last edited:
Hello, first post on the forum, although I've been watching it for years from the sidelines. There are certainly a lot of smart people here and I'm hoping somebody can help me out with an industrial application. Googling seems to lead me in circles.
Essentially I'm in need of an oil or even possibly a grease, but I would prefer an oil, for a very high temperature application. I have press that is a very simple manual device. It's just a cast iron body that has a steel piston riding through its body. The body of the press which is cast iron has a heating element in it. The body of the press gets very hot, in excess of 500° Fahrenheit. The ram which does nothing more than impress logos with a small steel stamp, typically gets around 250° to 275° f. Almost every oil and grease that I've tried even mobile One synthetic smokes around 500°. This is a very low speed application. It's operated by my foot. But it's in open air, It sits on a workbench in an industrial environment. I can't have something smoking all day creating smoke in the workplace. Does anybody have any idea what kind of lubricant I could use to lubricate the ram inside of the body so the metal doesn't wear on each other? I don't want to use things like graphite because they actually seem to insulate the heat away from the ram, whereas I still want heat to conduct but I can't have the things smoking all day. This is the kind of thing that I would take a dab of oil on my finger lubricate the ram, and it would be good for a couple days worth of use. Imagine a heated arbor press and that's essentially what it is. Except the ram is not square, it's a round steel ram inside of a cast iron body. In small quantities like a quart or a gallon? I mean a quart would probably last me 2 years. Thank you for your help
You might try to get a sample bottle of DOW OSP-680 by contacting DOW chemical.

A machine like has to state to use something for lubrication. Can you get a model number for it, an old manual might pop up.

The ViperLube grease suggested above or you might try some 00 Grease if you were looking for someone obtainable local. Tractor Supply will have the 00 grease.

Mobil 254 turbine oil will probably hold up well. It is thermally stable to 450°F. And above that, will start to degrade, but only slightly. If you are anywhere near Jupiter, Florida or Newburgh/White Plains, NY, I'll give you a can.

Ironman_gq's oven chain lubricant recommendation is a good one. A PAG fluid with suspension grade graphite would be a good start. Another thought would be a water soluble PAG with a small amount of water and suspension grade graphite. The carriers will volatilize cleanly leaving the graphite as a hi temp lubricant.

Probably more important than what you select is venting the smoke to the outside.

Back