What to do? (Farmhouse basement “issue”?)

Whenever we get rain, our basement gets water in it. It’s never anything serious. Just an annoyance. It has a drain and all is good.

Anyways, the majority of it comes from the north crawl space area of the house and just trickles down the step in the photo. Can anyone think of a trough sort of thing I could put there to collect water? My thought is to just have it plumbed to my drain so it’ll make less of a mess.
B53B2700-94A1-41F9-8749-D34A3780E9F2.jpeg

Don't let any rainwater get near the foundation. Have all gutters routed into drain tile that is at least eight feet from the foundation. In most cases, your basement will be high and dry. And foundation risks will be greatly reduced.

Don't let any rainwater get near the foundation. Have all gutters routed into drain tile that is at least eight feet from the foundation. In most cases, your basement will be high and dry. And foundation risks will be greatly reduced.
I already have my gutters running into a tile.

You might have a clog or broken drain tile.

Yep ....... if it's an old house .... then the clay drain tiles are probably falling apart and need to be replaced . How far do the downspouts drain from away the house ?

Yep ....... if it's an old house .... then the clay drain tiles are probably falling apart and need to be replaced . How far do the downspouts drain from away the house ?
The gutter downspouts go into a black tile that is fully functioning. The tile runs to my pond.

You’ve got to find the path the water is taking to come in. Over time, that water will cause damage to the walls.

A perimeter drain, routed to the pond, might be needed in addition to your gutter routing.

I agree with the above statements recommending correction of the root cause of the problem:

I did this around our old house as a very cheap fix to basement walls lacking proper drainage. Rain running down the exterior wall can seep directly along the subsurface wall and find a crack into your home.................... I used pond liner and ran it up the wall a bit.

acfbcede03d60f820048c730b08db3ec.jpg
nogutters.gif

Lots of Google examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=gra...iw=1760&bih=829&dpr=1.09#imgrc=Rg8bpkYI6AjyqM

Last edited:
If you know where the water is coming in at then go to that spot outside the house and look around. Is the ground sunken at that point? It would be best to look around when it’s raining.

Other things to look for; is there a tree nearby? The roots may have disturbed the drain tile. Check the slope away from the house as mentioned already. Check for cracks in the foundation.

Water travels in the path of least resistance so you will have to put on your detective cap. 🕵️‍♀️

The gutter downspouts go into a black tile that is fully functioning. The tile runs to my pond.
If it's the perforated stuff ..........then that maybe part of the problem . Also I'm guessing the pond is a good distance from the house and the water in the drain tile never even reaches the pond .

I put this product or something like it in our house in Pa 20 years ago and it worked. I was able to route the water along 2 walls to a sump hole with a pump and the basement was dry until we sold the house. Sometimes proper grading as above just isn't possible and you have to deal with it the best you can.

Just looked in a box of caulking tubes and I have an unopened tube of the sealant from waterproof.com so it was this product. Worked for me.

water channel

Need to find the source of the water and stop it. You mention the gutters are tied into a black tile. If its the perforated kind I would change it to solid around the house. The water from the gutters will just leach out the perforated style of tile and run down the foundation walls. If its not perforated check for a leaking connection somewhere.

I put this product or something like it in our house in Pa 20 years ago and it worked. I was able to route the water along 2 walls to a sump hole with a pump and the basement was dry until we sold the house. Sometimes proper grading as above just isn't possible and you have to deal with it the best you can.

Just looked in a box of caulking tubes and I have an unopened tube of the sealant from waterproof.com so it was this product. Worked for me.

water channel
Thank you.

I remember installing a foundation water barrier with my dad in his house years back on the wall that had a crack and would leak inside the basement. The barrier, along with sealing the crack worked like a charm.
Lots of digging though.

OP water intrusion is quite big, if not stopped, it will deteriorate the foundation.

Back