What to coat battery post/terminals with?

Never paid much attention to this to be honest. I will be replacing a set of batteries in my F350 in the near future. Want to do it right.

Is die electric grease ok? Something else?

Nothing between the posts and terminals. If you want to put a little dielectric on top it won't hurt. Nothing is necessary, just don't crank down on the terminals so hard that you distort the posts.

These with some type of grease.

Attachments

• BATTERY WASHERS.jpg
    BATTERY WASHERS.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 11
I use spray stuff like that linked to in post #4.
HISTORY: Blokes at a Sears used it and I didn't notice it until 3-4 years later when I did notice absolutely no corrosion. I knew so little I went back and asked them what it was.

NEEDLESS PERSONAL NOTE: I have found the random coloring of the stuff entertaining. I've gone through red, purple and green battery terminal protectant.

UNSOLICITED, UNWELCOME ADVICE: Remember to clean the cables' clamps well. Look at their undersides! Overlooked crud propagates.
I use baking soda & water in a paper cup. This way I can tear the cup as needed to get the clamp submerged. They're always on a too-short hunk of cable (ha-ha).

BITOG SCANDAL: I spray the posts too. I tear a hole in newspaper for a mask and spray the posts, clamp the cable on and spray the whole thing.
I go for a total seal. There's a tech paper on this which features an artist's representation of jagged metal reaching through the goo and making contact. The air gaps between said jagged edges aren't conducting electricity anyway and now, since covered, won't corrode.

i just clean the post and cable with a wire battery brush once right before summer and once right before winter and they stay clean no corrosion and always get a good connection. i dont put anything on them . been doing this ever since my first vehicle in 1975..no issues yet with corrosion or connectivity

Usually I use the corrosion felt washers with dielectric grease. If dielectric grease isn’t available I spray it with the Permatex battery corrosion inhibitor.

I've never used anything on my terminals and have never had an issue. I think keeping the battery clean goes a long ways.

Never paid much attention to this to be honest. I will be replacing a set of batteries in my F350 in the near future. Want to do it right.

Is die electric grease ok? Something else?
White lithium grease or lubriplate assembly grease which is basically a white lithium grease is what I do.

Dielectric grease is an insulator its what you put on trailer wiring connector. not the best for battery terminal.

Back