What things do you not like about your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 Crown Vic:

Slow as a snail. After previously owning a buncha GM V8's that favor the bottom end of the RPM range, the lack of low end grunt from the Ford 4.6 is irritating. Sure, the tall rear gear doesn't help, but even in the CVPIs that are geared more appropriately, this engine is less than impressive. I miss the effortless, authoritative feeling from the drivetrains of my old Cadillacs.

Interior space. While the car is physically large externally, that doesn't translate to a roomy interior. Especially when you need to stuff it full of kid car seats. The rear seat of my wife's Malibu is larger than this "full sized" car. Also, the lack of a pass-through rear seat inhibits the ability to transport anything lengthy without hanging items out of the windows.

I wish ford had sprung for the VVT duratec from the Mazda3 in the Focus for a bit more high rpm thrust, a taller 5th or a 6th gear would be nice, and slottable struts for easier negative camber adjustment.
I wish the Outback had the steering feel and accuracy of the Focus, and maybe a better stereo as its quiet enough to make it worthwhile. Shorter overhangs might be good too.

My 99 Jeep, I could use a bit more leg room. A few inches more would go a long way. Burns a little oil but not bad. 1qt per 2,500 miles.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I hate the Bose in my 911.
Brutal
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8

Brutal
grin.gif

It's total garbage! Muddy sound with no depth. Can't change the speakers because they're all stupid impedences and won't work with the Bose amp. No auxiliary input and no way to economically add on. Can't change the amp or head unit independently because Bose figured fiber optic would the perfect interface instead of, you know, wires?

I can't do anything about the sound in my car without spending $1000 minimum on hardware and ripping the interior apart. If I would have known that I would have gone older model.

Not thrilled at the prospect of having a timing belt on the Pilot. I gather as long as they are replaced when they are due they are pretty reliable. It's the occasional anecdote of one failing prematurely that worries me, since it's an interference engine.

2013 Maxima:

1. hole for dipstick is hard to see when you check oil.
2. door check straps don't hold the door very well on slight incline.
3. trip computer is not user friendly and doesn't give as good of info as my old departed 2004 Passat did.

2009 Ford Flex:
1. Steering wheel has no telescope, tilts fine but I find it hard to get a good seating position that allows my arms to hang lightly off the wheel. The 2010 had telescope :eek:(
2. Leather seats are only leather on the parts directly under your butt or back, the side bolster on seat is vinyl and has cracked, split.

2017.5 Rogue:
1. stereo is not great at all.

Poor nav system (SD card!!!!!) and interface to phone.
Seats are only leather in the ventilated panels under butt and back.
Huge job to change the plugs and even the PCV is hard to get to.
Have had two wheel bearing jobs done on a car that is 4 years old.
Windshield also appears to be shot, seems too early for that.
Manual mode paddle shifting is too slow for fun driving (but very handy on ice/snow), had to buy paddle extensions because they were so tiny.
Only 4 intermittent wiper settings.
Car leaned way too much in turns when new, but an aftermarket rear sway bar helped somewhat.
Turbo/CVT lag is noticeable even with traction control turned off.
CVT had major work done at 80kmiles (under warranty that Subaru extended unilaterally) and I'm worried about its durability.
The horn is ridiculous!

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
My 2010 Mustang had a clunk in the front end and it was a deteriorated sway bar center bushing. I replaced them with the replacements from LMR along with end links and it's quiet now.

I was going to check everything out next time I do an oil change. I am strongly debating getting the Ford Racing sway bar kit. I am at the right mileage, 42,XXX, that I might get the spring/damper kit as well. They have one that is already assembled which is ideal since I hate spring compressors, I have had 2 try to kill me so I avoid them whenever possible.

Originally Posted By: CT8

Brutal
grin.gif

It's total garbage! Muddy sound with no depth. Can't change the speakers because they're all stupid impedences and won't work with the Bose amp. No auxiliary input and no way to economically add on. Can't change the amp or head unit independently because Bose figured fiber optic would the perfect interface instead of, you know, wires?

I can't do anything about the sound in my car without spending $1000 minimum on hardware and ripping the interior apart. If I would have known that I would have gone older model.

Mercedes does the same with their Harman Kardon system, fiber optic system linking all audio subsystems together. So if your Sirius or CD player goes out, it takes out the whole audio system. There are bypass loops though to get around it. At least they have aux inputs where you can add bluetooth adapters. There's also android head units you can drop in, but I don't like those as they don't look anywhere close to factory.

97 Maxima:
The slushbox "logic" is frustrating, no TC lockup in 3rd gear (the 04 Corolla is much better).
The backrest and headrest are too short.
The steering wheel is offcenter compared to the dash and the seats: it is hard to see the speedometer in my preferred driving position.
Econo-suspension: MacPherson struts on the front and torsion beam on the rear, like the Corolla, only implemented poorly. The rear is rude over speed bumps, jumpy in turns, yet rocks like a boat with 3 adults, 1 baby and a full trunk.
The transversal V6 makes the alternator a PITA to replace even with 2 people.
They tried to make the engine light weight so a lot of the sealing surfaces are not straight but have curves and semicircles. The timing chains don't run in the block, but there is a inner and outer timing cover. All this makes these engines prone to oil leaks.
No cabin air filter.
No manufacturer parts for some bushings and boots.
Solder issues (clock, MAF and others to come).
The spare tire compartment doesn't hold a full size spare.
The trunk lid uses beams instead of springs, robbing me of usable trunk space.
I suspect the steel wheels are lower quality compared to the Corolla.
Wind noise.
There are a lot of things I like about it, but this is not the place for them.

2018 Mustang - The new 10-speed auto is indecisive and rough at times. Lots of jerking during speed adjustments on the highway where the 2017 6-speed would've just smoothed it over. More than a few times, with a warm engine that's been sitting for 20-30 minutes, I get a very abrupt engagement when going from Park to Drive. The car lurches forward in similar fashion to how a manual transmission in first gear reacts when your foot slips off the clutch, but without stalling the engine. The rest of the time, it engages Drive, or transitions from Reverse to Drive at a snail's pace. I'm thinking Ford didn't spend quite enough time writing some of the code for this transmission.

IS is gutless, and who ever put in the aftermarket rear parking sensors needs to be shot.
The RX reminded me why I never own a FWD, my biggest pet peeve: torque steer.

Last edited:
My Caprice is ok for what it is, only complaints are non intermittent wipers and a bit sluggish with a 307.

Oldsmobile- not quite enough leg room.

Dodge- Lifeless handling, short range due to a small fuel tank (approx. 300 miles). Road noise amplified from the rear and a CVT that when you really need to go NOW is more of a noise maker than a transmission of power to the wheels. Found that out today.
In short it just is a dull driver, an appliance with no soul.

Crutchfield has some 2 ohm speakers avail. unless your 911 has 1 ohm speaks then your outta luck

Persistent rattles that only happen when car is driven and can't be reproduced when stationary.

Temp gauge that doesn't move from middle even as coolant temps swing from 90C / 194F when coasting to 115C / 239F climbing a grade with a heavy load on a scorching hot day.

FWD with crude traction control and all the resultant tire spin when trying to smartly pull out into a turn.

Permanent OBDII codes that need a shop's $10k scan tool to even see, let alone clear. Not fun when I think I broke something, can't see the code, and can't turn off the check engine light.

Service reminder light that can't be reset without a special scan tool- been coming on since 3k miles after the last time a shop did an oil change!

Major cosmetic damage from when my mom encountered predicaments with stationary objects, so it really looks like a beater even when all the mechanical components are in great shape.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
Crutchfield has some 2 ohm speakers avail. unless your 911 has 1 ohm speaks then your outta luck

Two are 1, the rest are 3. I could re-wire the door woofers and rear sub together and run normal speakers, but would still be the junk Bose amp pumping mud into my nice new speakers.

I've decided to just install and intake and exhaust. Make a different kind of music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back