What synblend would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
"I do like the looks of the new Chevron Havoline HM."

Chevron has reformulated all their Havoline oils , I'm assuming to meet the new gen2 dexos requirements. I would have no problem running any of their oils in my vehicles, if I had one.

So do i as well. It's what i am currently using. I like Chevron products as a whole.

The two synblends I have used the most are:
- Valvoline DuraBlend 10W40
- Castrol Magnatec 10W30 "Stop-Start"

Both were rated API SN and Euro ACEA A3/B4, so good solid oils with TBN > 10 and HTHS > 3.5 cP.

It's funny how many on here condemn blends because it's "just a marketing term" as if "full synthetic" isn't, in this country. Go by the specs, not the description.

Originally Posted By: wemay
It's funny how many on here condemn blends because it's "just a marketing term" as if "full synthetic" isn't, in this country. Go by the specs, not the description.

Good point sir
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
So, if money wasn't a issue; which blend would you folks choose

Motorcraft blend
Pennzoil "GOLD" blend
Maxlife blend

Other blends I'm missing

Just wondering as some folks use synblend sand some people use full synthetic

Keep it changed as you should and any of the above will keep your engine happy for as long as you care to drive it.

Pennzoil Gold for me if thats what I had to choose for a syn blend. For a mere dollar & some cents more though -- you can get Castrol Magnetec or QSUD full synthectics. Im sure Quaker States syn blend is more than up to the task also -- as many others that have mentioned previous are.

Originally Posted By: Ram02
Pennzoil Gold it meets dexos 1 Gen2 and have the same engine warranty as PP
Who is fooling who??

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Originally Posted By: Tech819
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Pennzoil because they are 50% synthetic. Ed

Where is that published?

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com...etic-blend-oil/

I did not know Pennzoil was 50% synthetic. Last I heard they were, at best, 20 to 30 percent. This is actually a good thing.

Is the 50% synthetic only in the Dexos blend, or will it be the same for non-Dexos Pennzoil Gold syn blend?

Dos anyone know if other blends are also at 50% synthetic?

Last edited:
Last time I spoke to Valvoline they told me their DuraBlend / EngineArmour was about 30% synthetic. I assume this would be the same for MaxLife.

If you select a name brand synblend / semi-synthetic with a quality spec like Dexos or Euro ACEA, I think it should have a decent amount of synthetic oil in it, as in 10's of % since this is what is probably required to achieve these specifications.

From what I've read, even a mineral SN & GF-5 oil is almost certain to be pure Group II (Group I free) and if not pure Group II then a bit of Group III has been added to push it over the line and meet the demands of API etc. Castrol GTX UltraClean clearly say this GTX is now made with "synthetic technology" and is technically a synblend.

Chase the specs and the rest will follow.

Originally Posted By: car51
So, if money wasn't a issue; which blend would you folks choose

Motorcraft blend
Pennzoil "GOLD" blend
Maxlife blend

Just wondering as some folks use synblend sand some people use full synthetic

Money is never an issue for me and I use conventional oil.
I choose conventional simply because I change oil within the recommended OCI and I follow the OWNERS manual for the vehicle.
Furthermore, no matter what we read on BITOG or what marketing [censored] we believe all oils that meet the requirement of the API or ACEA are equal unless proven otherwise. What I am saying the conventional I use, is producing no more wear and possibly less wear then many full synthetics.

Ok, to answer your question!
I vote for MAXLIFE!. For one reason and one reason only, I am currently running it as an experiment in my 2014 Harley Road King and as others have commented, the VERY FIRST THING I noticed was the darn engine sounded so peaceful, smooooooth and quiet. My Road king calls for HEDO and that is all I have run for the last two years and will go back to it after two full runs of this Maxlife and UOAs.

The reason for the Maxlife experiment is Maxlife rated high on RATS film strength tests.
So I am experimenting/testing to see if this high film strength Maxlife will have less wear in a UOA then my current HEDO which by default has a lower film strength. Yet my current HEDO has much, much higher tested additives package, anyway, curious to see if there is a difference, most likely not.

Anyway, I chose Maxlife, not to save money, to me its a darn good oil. I also like Motorcraft too, for no other reason then whatever. :eek:)

Last edited:
Chevron/Havoline 5w20 and 5w30 are syn blends with great performance at good prices.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I would never use Motorcraft blend in a GM product. It ain't right.
Brand clash.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I would never use Motorcraft blend in a GM product. It ain't right.
Brand clash.

I don't take anything Merkava says serious
smile.gif

There's a GREAT reason too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back