Is Grp2/3 blend better than Grp2+ ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Why do people think a "SynBlend" label, like on Motorcraft actually means anything? Like- "Oh, it's a great deal (or great oil or whatever) because it's a 'SynBlend'...for cheap".

Please show me one bit of proof Semi-Syn-Blend is nothing more than a marketing label device. How about some extraordanary cold-crank numbers or somehting. Does Motorcraft even have a mid-range product? Strait to the "Semi" product, but for cheaper than other basic dino oils? No. It just contains GP-II or greater base oils, just like all other dino SM spec oils, no better nor worse.
----------------------------------------

Actually I was thinking about this topic. Specifically looking at Pennzoil YB 5W20 ($2.52 WM) and MC 5W20 Blend ($12.50/5qt).

Both Ford '930A approved.

I realize VI of the base/base-blend is key element to which VII is added to get 5W20. I suspect the VI of a blend to be just weighted average of the blended bases (ie. linear).

So....Is Grp2/3 blend better than Grp2+ if the resulting VI's are the same ?

I think I would prefer the Grp2+ over a Grp2/3 blend but I'm not sure why other than feeling simpler/more consistent is better.

Any comments ?

Group II+ and Group III base stocks are pretty close. It's almost like splitting hairs. Here is the way I feel about it. Most blends today are Group II/III mix, with the Group III being somewhere around 13-15%. So you can have an oil with 13-15% Group III or you can have an oil with 100% Group II+. Flip a coin.

Like I said in another post, there are exceptions. Schaeffer's is a blend of Group II+/PAO with the PAO being somewhere between 15-20%. Good base stock to start with.

I just mix my own 50:50, that way I know for sure there is an improvement, because I can see the start points for each oil, and the end point is usually in between, about half way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back