What size bolt would make a tire unrepairable ?

For illustrative purpose and to be clear, this is not an actual picture of my tire but a very accurate depiction of what I had embedded in the center of an almost new Michelin Premier LTX...

Question for the gallery... what would make a tire chain reject the repair given that is in the dead center of a tire with less than 2,000 miles driven? Initially that is what occurred but fortunately, after some persuasion, they agreed to repair it (cost 30.00) with an internal patch and rebalance. It appears to hold well but relocated it to the rear of a front wheel drive car. Anything else to consider or perhaps recommendation to proceed with a new purchase? Any fear of disintegration of tire at high temp or high speed ?

1598925307120.jpg

thats a shoulder bolt.. looks about 1/4" and repairable.

As long as the hole is roundish and not jagged (from road trash slice)

I wouldnt have a problem with it.

Edit:
RMA i believe suggests 1/4" as the upper limit.

For illustrative purpose and to be clear, this is not an actual picture of my tire but a very accurate depiction of what I had embedded in the center of an almost new Michelin Premier LTX...

Question for the gallery... what would make a tire chain reject the repair given that is in the dead center of a tire with less than 2,000 miles driven? Initially that is what occurred but fortunately, after some persuasion, they agreed to repair it (cost 30.00) with an internal patch and rebalance. It appears to hold well but relocated it to the rear of a front wheel drive car. Anything else to consider or perhaps recommendation to proceed with a new purchase? Any fear of disintegration of tire at high temp or high speed ?

View attachment 28283
I had a 1/4" to 5/8" cut (like an arrow head puncture) closer to the edge of a brand new Michelin tire (less than 1000 miles). I was kind of surprised but a Michelin dealer repaired it with a plug and patch from inside. There was no charge. That set of tires finally wore out and the patched one lasted the whole way.

Back in the 80's I worked in my uncles full serve Texaco gas station, and his Uniroyal tire store about a mile away. A lady came in the Texaco asking to repair her tire. There was a Champion spark plug dead center of the tire. I used a plug patch. It had a metal spike over the plug that you push thru the hole from the inside and apply the patch as normal. They worked like a charm!
PLUG PATCH.jpg

Back in the 80's I worked in my uncles full serve Texaco gas station, and his Uniroyal tire store about a mile away. A lady came in the Texaco asking to repair her tire. There was a Champion spark plug dead center of the tire. I used a plug patch. It had a metal spike over the plug that you push thru the hole from the inside and apply the patch as normal. They worked like a charm!
View attachment 28290

Plug patches are pretty much all I use at work. I'd have no problem repairing the OP's tire with a plug patch and it would likely hold for the life of the tire. I resort to regular patches when the puncture is closer to the sidewall or of an oblong shape, and I've never had one of those fail either.

Back