What should I be Using

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok,,let me start by explaining.For all intent and purpose,the engine that is in my S-10,is a circle track engine,that's what it was built for.It's a 1st generation Chevy small block,with double hump heads,,,that being said,,it has the old style valve stem seals,which are nothing more than an o-ring.I know that this situation needs to be remedied,,I just don't have the money at the momment.It does use oil quite a bit because the seals,,well,,they don't seal,,,and because of this,,I am always changing plugs because they are fowled from oil,so on and so forth.It is a high horsepower engine,that I have made streetable and I drive it on a daily basis,it also is an old school,flat tappet engine with a fairly high lift cam.What oil should I be using.At first I was using 20w50 Spectro Racing oil because it supposed to have 1800ppm's of ZDDP,,Ok,,I listened to all of the hype,,now,,,after reading all of your posts,,I am beginning to believe that this might have been a huge waste of money.So I have switched to 15w40 Rottela with a ZDDP additive.I have definately notice that it is starting better and even running better.I guess what I am asking,,,since I have to constantly ad oil to maintain the proper level,,,what would you recommend I use.I obviously want to take care of the engine,but if I don't need to be spending a lot of money,,,what would be the best direction to go in.I have considered just switching to Brad Penn 10w30,,because it would be light enough and it also has the ZDDP that I need,,,but I am still in the dark about what would be correct.

in your case cheap and good is best. you burn oil so rotella or delo 15-40 are best with the addition of a quart of lighter oil in winter when you burn some. You could consider 5w30 maxlife just to lube the seals and make cold starts easier..

Maxlife or another high mileage oil would help with burn off-but with a flat-tappet motor I would stick to SL rated or a diesel rated oil-since you are running circle track (continuous HOT operation) a higher viscosity like a 20W50 wouldn't hurt much. The SB Chevys are KNOWN cam eaters, you want all the ZDDP you can get. And
welcome2.gif

Thanks a bunch,,and I mean that seriously.It's hard thing to admit,,that after 30 years of working on engines,,,that I'm a huge dummie about the one thing that keeps the engine alive.I have been on here for a week reading,and I've been totally amazed ,how little I knew,,in terms of oils.Thanks again,,,I just want to keep my little monster alive,,but as bad as it sounds,,,I don't want to have to spend a whole lot of money doing it.

Ok,,,here's a new twist to the thread,,if you've read the OP on this,,,you will see where I posted that my little monster likes to use oil,,,A LOT,,,that being said,I've been fairly content to add oil as needed until I get off my lazy butt and fix what needs fixing.Ok,,,here comes the twist,,,and I have inquired with several engine guru's on this,,and they aren't sure either.
I add oil,,every week,,to week and a half,,,sometimes as much as 16oz's,,well,,a couple of weeks ago,I was in a hurry,I needed to add some oil,I reached in my cabinet and grabbed the first thing I laid my hands on,it turned out to be M1 10w30,,put it in,and as usual,,over the last 2 weeks I have checked my oil level,,and I haven't used any,,,I mean none,,I pulled the plugs,,like I have been doing to make sure they weren't fouled,,like normal,,,and they were not fouled,I'm no longer getting a load of oil in the combustion chamber from the valve stem seals,,,so,,,the big question is,,,,"why would using 1 qt of M1 combined with the Rotella15w40,,,stop my engine from using oil,,this is a strange one to me,,,but if anyone has any ideas,,,I'm all ears,,,and really,, it doesn't matter,,bottom line,,,if M1 helps my engine NOT use oil,,it really doesn't matter as to the WHY,,,I'm just curious and I might be able to pass on some info to other people.Thanks,,as always,,,for anyones input.I'm just old and bored out of my mind

Originally Posted By: beaker60
Ok,,let me start by explaining.For all intent and purpose,the engine that is in my S-10,is a circle track engine,that's what it was built for.It's a 1st generation Chevy small block,with double hump heads,,,that being said,,it has the old style valve stem seals,which are nothing more than an o-ring.I know that this situation needs to be remedied,,I just don't have the money at the momment.It does use oil quite a bit because the seals,,well,,they don't seal,,,and because of this,,I am always changing plugs because they are fowled from oil,so on and so forth.It is a high horsepower engine,that I have made streetable and I drive it on a daily basis,it also is an old school,flat tappet engine with a fairly high lift cam.What oil should I be using.At first I was using 20w50 Spectro Racing oil because it supposed to have 1800ppm's of ZDDP,,Ok,,I listened to all of the hype,,now,,,after reading all of your posts,,I am beginning to believe that this might have been a huge waste of money.So I have switched to 15w40 Rottela with a ZDDP additive.I have definately notice that it is starting better and even running better.I guess what I am asking,,,since I have to constantly ad oil to maintain the proper level,,,what would you recommend I use.I obviously want to take care of the engine,but if I don't need to be spending a lot of money,,,what would be the best direction to go in.I have considered just switching to Brad Penn 10w30,,because it would be light enough and it also has the ZDDP that I need,,,but I am still in the dark about what would be correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back