What Project Car would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
I'd choose a 1963 Studebaker Avanti.
grin.gif

The guy I bought my 68 Z from back in the 70s had one of those it was a cool looking car. The shocker was when he raised the hood. He had put in a Big block Chevy.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
grin.gif
cheers.gif

[ May 10, 2006, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Hirev ]

I thought this would be a fun topic and there are a lot of interesting ideas.

Over the years I have gained a few phobias with cars. Very small cars scare me as I feel I would be crushed if anything hits me. Second, old sixties cars that have seats without headrests totally freak me out, because I can imagine a persons head rapping around the seat in a minor rear end collision. Can you imagine what happens to your spine when you are in a seat without a headrest when you are rear ended?

Fiat X19 with a Honda motor. Interesting! You can get a Fiat for about 500 bucks. A used Honda engine for $1k? Tiny car though.

1968-1969 Camaro convertible.

Painted white with orange stripes to replicate the Pace Car
smile.gif

Install of a crate EFI LS1 or LS6 engine mounted to automatic....sorry guys I want a cruiser not racer
smile.gif
Secondary transmission to split gears for better fuel economy. 17 or 18 inch alloy wheels. Fabricated install of DANA independent rear suspension. Digital instrument cluster. 4 Wheel disc brakes.

Wait I just overbudgeted myself
smile.gif

my pick would be an old dodge power wagon... the real one, the one tht was like an original early 1960's SUV...

Id also consider a swap of a corvette engine and drivetrain into an E30 BMW.

JMH

Winston - Your stipulation that you don't want anything everybody else has limits you.
There is a reason why people covet certain cars - they are good.
For costs [initial and parts], you can't beat American iron, like a Mustang.
BTW, I loved my '66 Spitfire, also.

I really liked the 80's Monte Carlo SS (notchback). A couple of buddies who happened to be twin brothers had one with aftermarket dual exhaust and it was a really sweet ride.

^ Small block chevy in a 70s datsun Z would be cool too.

I'm partial to putting domestic V8s in older jaguars, volvo wagons, etc.
grin.gif

$1000 for the car, $1000 for the powertrain, and $1000 for a little box of hand-welded motor mounts someone spent a lot of time on.
wink.gif

quote:

Winston - Your stipulation that you don't want anything everybody else has limits you.
There is a reason why people covet certain cars - they are good.

Well, yes, kind of. It just means that there will be some trade-offs. Like the Porche 928, an incredible car for not too much money. It just costs a fortune to maintain. 911's are popular because of their history. However, the 928 is much more of a supercar. The engine swap thing can make cars unique. Like the old days when people would put V8's in a Chevy Vega. Look at that RX-7 with the V8. That would be an interesting car to drive and have. For a bargain sports car the X19 is interesting. Since it is mid engine it handles better than most other small sports cars. Not too many people want them because of the reliability thing.

There are other GT cars that are really good, but not very popular. The Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 is an amazing car, but not too expensive because of the Mitsu name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back