What Project Car would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New cars are getting so much more powerfull and fun to drive it is hard to think of something older that would still be interesting.

I do not want a tin can british car or Mazda Miata. I had a Spitfire and a Sprite and a Fiat X19 when I was in High School. They are fun but do not work well on the Freeway.

I thought maybe an older Mercedes Benz SL, but they seem a bit clunky.

An old muscle car convertible would also be nice, but it is nearly impossible to make those cars handle, and the mpg would be too much to bear.

I also considered a Porche 928, but the older ones are a bit underpowered and the engine parts are a fortune. I read that just to replace the intake gasket it would cost about $1100 in the various rubber parts and gaskets that go along with that job. Considered maybe putting a nice GM Crate engine in the 928 would be an interesting project. Read on another site that someone actually did it, well, paid fortune for a shop to do it. I know Porche purists would hunt me down, but so what.

What type of project cars do you guys think about? Budget around $10-15k. Don't want a ricer. I don't want to pick something that everyone else has. I don't want a 911. I like the 928 because it is kind-of the black sheep of the Porche family, but it is a great driving car.

1989 BMW 325i is a nice car. No airbags, but if you want them you can go to 1990 model. I don't like the 90's as much (different steering wheel because of the airbag, different pedals, and the steering column rattles a little)

the DREAM car.....1979 Trans Am, 6.6 T/A engine, fully restored with a stroked engine. Painted black.

I was going to say an earlier BMW 325ix would make a fun little car, and with the all-wheel drive feature would make it handle quite well too.

Get a Fiat X1/9 and put a pocket rocket motor in it (Honda 1.8 litre or Acura 2.0 litre). You will have no trouble keeping up with traffic--1900 pounds, 200 HP (1700 pounds if you work on it.)

This might be possible on your budget: a 1964 Ford Fairlane 2-dr *hardtop*.
wink.gif
I always thought those were really under-rated great looking cars, clean classic lines & easily roddable. A good healthy Ford V-8 would make it fast enough, & an automatic ovedrive should easily give over 20 mpg highway.

Since your thinking Porsche, how about a 924/944? Not that common around here anyway and they do handle even if the non turbo models are a bit underpowered.

robbobster is right about the Mustangs. If you want fast for cheap it's the way to go. $15K would give you $10K-$12K to spend on the resto and mods.

The best would be a 1964 Max Wedge Dodge Polara with heater delete option. Two 4 barrel carters... Sticker says: no warranty, car designed for timed acceleration trials. Due to high rpm design, there may be some operation instability when cold or idling.

Now that's a car to dream about.

Dan

I bet you could pick up the last iteration of the V6 Fiero pretty cheap. It's still a nice looking car, cheap parts, easy to mod.

Just when Pontiac got it right, they discontinued the model.

1994 SAAB 900 (Turbo or not) Convertible: last of the original 900s. Strong safe chassis with ABS and airbags, distinctive (classic, even), room for four adults and some luggage, dirt cheap, cult following. Still looking for mine.

Not much of a project, as they're pretty reliable, would be a Honda Del Sol. Fun targa top and good trunk space. Could be borderline ricey...

The project car I'd choose would be a '20's Model T truck, 85hp flat head V8, a ford 9" and a mustang II or Nova front end.

A true project car, or a project car that is also a daily driver?

My project/daily driver is a 2001 Jetta TDI. I picked it to learn a but about diesel and because it gets 50+ mpg.

If I had to do a straight project car...thats tough!

Something with a SBC...probably an older Vette...or maybe something different like a Corvair or Subaru SVT

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
I'd choose a 1963 Studebaker Avanti.
grin.gif

Yeah, you'd certainly stand out in a crowd in that thing.
lol.gif

If I had the budget for it, I'd turn my '00 Monte Carlo into a real sleeper. With some of the turbo kits, intercoolers, cams, intakes, PCM upgrades, etc. available for the 3800 V6 + a hardened tranny, 500 hp to the wheels is easily obtainable. All I'd do appearance-wise is change the spoiler to the Nascar-style available on the '02's (I think) and later and put on some wider rubber. The F-bodies and 'stangs would never see me coming.
grin.gif

Not sure if I want ot admit this...but I'd love to have an F-Body Camaro/Firebird and make it run like bloody he11. Which can be done on the cheap.

I guess riding around in my older friends' IROCs in grade school has caused some sort of mental disorder...

However, if it came down to it I'd probably get a Fox-body Mustang and make it run hard.

Old muscle cars not handle? Too many kits to list to modify them.

Old Mopar the easiest to make handle (by far the best suspension and drivetrain), and you certainly don't see them all the time.

Your budget ought to get you into something, and take you a fair distance if you don't get carried away with cosmetics.

Here's a couple of mild DODGE Coronets I'd be happy to see in the garage. Not technically muscle cars (a big price premium) they can be built up to your desire.

http://www.hubcapcafe.com/ocs/pages01/dodg6702.htm

http://info.detnews.com/joyrides/story/index.cfm?id=541

My first job would be to completely re-wire them. Then they're practically, literally, bullet-proof.

Good luck.

I think because we are in California it would be preferable to have a pre-1976 project car. I've considered Datsun 240/260z and BMW in a Bavaria flavor.

I know BMW's so starting with the BMW E30 318is (only came here in `91). Can get a decent one for a few grand then do a M3 engine swap, nice suspension, brakes, wheel/tires, etc. etc. and make a little monster only weighing ~2,600 lbs. (I had one myself
smile.gif
) Also there is a niche following for the E36 318ti's (`95-`99) where I have seen some very nicely done engine transplants for BMW M motors and the whole nine yards (had one also minus the motor swap). If you wanted something less projecty but a rare car, a Mcoupe (`99-`02) had their unique love or hate it styling. You can pick up a `99-`00 for low $20k these days. Also you can't forget the original E30 M3 (`88-`91), which will def. be a project car unless you happen to find a mint one which would be way too expensive. If you want to go pre-smog days, a 2002 has its tight following and I have seen some beautiful examples with S14 engine swaps (E30 M3 motor)

On the minvan theme above, any 85-93 Dodge/shelby turbo. Plentiful cars, reasonable cost and very fast for little money and good economy. An Omni GLH with a 2.5 on 20 PSI would be good for 250WHP or more and 350 tourque. Put some konis and good bushings and you will have very fastcar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back