What produces the ULTIMATE Shine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too have used many products in the past and have been very impressed with the Glare line of products. I used to love the old Eagle One wax from around 12 years ago. Used to leave an amazing wet finish with durability. Eagle One now sucks.

Waxes probably offer a slightly warmer glow, but they are all about the same. Clay, Compounding and Polishing will make your paint shine-- not the sealant or wax.

Been experimeneting and I tried Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax then a coat of Ultimate Detailer - that is the smoothest finish I have ever seen. Looking carefully at in different light I have to say the depth of the shine exceeds my heretofore fave combo of Zaino Z6 followed by Z8. And at considerable savings.

Last edited:
Yes, but will it last as long as Zaino?
Critic is right, the prep work is the main thing. Most of the waxes are going to be similar and so then it is best , if you like the carnauba wax look, to buy a wax that is known for its longevity like Collinite.

Liquid Glass by a country mile. I detail cars as a hobby and while Zaino is great, LG is better in all areas. Cheaper, more durable and gives a better shine. Top it off with a JDM Ioncoat Naviwax and the shine goes into orbit!

Originally Posted By: SplashnGo
Been experimeneting and I tried Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax then a coat of Ultimate Detailer - that is the smoothest finish I have ever seen. Looking carefully at in different light I have to say the depth of the shine exceeds my heretofore fave combo of Zaino Z6 followed by Z8. And at considerable savings.

Don't you mean the other way around since the detailer has cleaners in it and the wax does not. Next time try it the other way around for even better results.

Given a polished paint surface, my current favorite is Ultima Paint Guard Plus topped with Autoglym HD wax. The HD wax really brings out the metallic flakes in my paint.

I have been using Turtle Wax black box, never used a wax that made my cars shine like that. The only down side is after 3 or 4 washes that deep shine is gone.

Originally Posted By: carguy996
I have been using Turtle Wax black box, never used a wax that made my cars shine like that. The only down side is after 3 or 4 washes that deep shine is gone.

Like was said by another poster, the level of shine you get has more to do with how you prep the surface before you wax than it does with the wax itself. A good claying and a swirl remover (if needed) will do more for shine than any wax can do on its own. I use a wax based on its durability.

My vote is for Klasse all-in-one and Klasse sealent glaze. This is what I get on the Miata (have not used Zaino yet):

IMG_0100.jpg

ps, i use a porter cable 7424, which is great.

Last edited:
Achieving the best possible shine is 90% prep and 10% wax/sealant choice.

Claying, machine polishing the imperfections out of the paint and then using a good paint cleaner are the best steps to achieving a great shine.

But, for that 10%, my choice is Pinnacle Souverän Carnuba Paste Wax.

Merc_014.jpg

BMW_019.jpg

DSCF0197.jpg

2001MKIV20.jpg

2001MKIV19.jpg

2001MKIV12.jpg

2001MKIV11.jpg

2004DodgeRam1500Online40.jpg

Last edited:
yep, agree prep is a big part of it. when i first got the miata i spent a day polishing it with two different "grit" polishes, then did the klasse treatment. i have not polished it again in over 4 years, though.

Originally Posted By: k24a4
yep, agree prep is a big part of it. when i first got the miata i spent a day polishing it with two different "grit" polishes, then did the klasse treatment. i have not polished it again in over 4 years, though.

And what are these "grit" polishes you speak of
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Originally Posted By: k24a4

And what are these "grit" polishes you speak of
confused.gif

optimum compound followed by optimum polish. the optimum polish could be a heavy or light compound depending on the buffing pad. i forget what i used for a buffing pad but my guess is I did not go heavy, most likely medium firm. i used the word "grit" because I was trying to remember "compound", but either way when you are talking about compounds you are talking about gradations in abrasiveness, like "grit" in sandpaper.

i meant to say the optimum compound, not polish, could be a heavy or light compound depending on the buffing pad...

one thing i might add here is that when most people say they want the most shine and people post pics, a lot of the pics are from newer vehicles, so in a way, any chemical would look good. i have a 1994 probe gt with the original paint, bought the car in 2003, and have been using meguiars since 1988 on any of my vehicles. when i tried zaino on the probe, it was like a new paint job. i think zaino is the best imo.

Originally Posted By: SplashnGo
Hmmm- Duragloss - would that be PowerGloss resurrected? Even the fonts on "DuraGloss" look familiar....

Never heard of PowerGloss. I have used Duragloss and their bonding agent for years. It seems that Duragloss is a fairly old company. Products seem very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back