What pressure for towing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the Michelin Specs for that tire (Cross Terrain) in that size, they were indeed a 35 psi max tire.

In addition, the fact that each car maker could not know everything about every tire ever made that might end up on that vehicle is exactly why load indexes were developed so you could use another tire on a scientific basis...

And last, how old is that tire you took a picture of Nick? I hope that isn't what a maximum loaded trailer load is going to be towed with. With sidwalls looking like that I'd have been at the tire shop putting new tires on a while ago...

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
And last, how old is that tire you took a picture of Nick? I hope that isn't what a maximum loaded trailer load is going to be towed with. With sidwalls looking like that I'd have been at the tire shop putting new tires on a while ago...
I posted about them about 1 1/2 months ago on here and many said that they're fine, and Michelins just crack easily.

They were manufactured the 28th week of 2011 and were installed October 2011. Probably 8k miles on them. I'll never buy/ recommend a family member buy a Michelin tire again, I've had nothing but problems.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Yup, they're 35 psi max for some reason

2itkakh.jpg

Those tires need to go in the dumpster. They look 15 years old.

I tow at around 35psi in the rear tires of the Tracker, even though the placard says 26psi. I don't get a scale out and verify what the tongue weight is of a load, and I know often it must be far more than 150lbs, which would be the ideal 10% of its tow rating. No harm in going above the minimum pressure spec'd by the factory.

It seems entirely likely you'll be over some sort of specification on this tow. Trailer loaded is 5,900 lbs. You'll need to make sure you have at least 600 lbs on the tongue (>10% of trailer weight) to be sure it is stable and won't want to start swaying on you. We'd hate to hear you ended up losing the load and flipping the trailer and/or the Trailblazer. I think a trailer over 4-5000 lbs will require a weight distribution hitch according to GM, check your manual and the sticker on the hitch. Definitely trailer brakes, hopefully they are built into the trailer. 600+ lbs on the hitch might be over the rated capacity of the hitch if not using a weight distribution hitch as well, it will be close. It is probably a 5-600 lb limit for tongue weight. With all that tongue weight you're going to be close if not over the rear axle capacity as well. If you're going to take this risk, take it easy and go to max side wall pressure. Lastly, I'll repeat, you definitely need 10-15% of the trailer weight on the tongue. If you go too light you'll end up in trouble for sure as the trailer starts to sway back and forth. Don't adjust the towed vehicle back too far on the trailer to lighten the load on the Trailblazer, you need the tongue weight for stability. I'd rather overload the rearaxle and hitch a little than have a trailer swaying around behind me.

I don't really recommend you go through with this, but you'll probably do it anyway so I gave you my advice. Good luck. I tell you this because I want you to learn from my mistakes.
smile.gif
Try not to make your own.

Yep, you did post about those tires before. And some thought they were fine, others did not. The one voice in there who is associated with the tire industry didn't exactly give them a vote of confidence.

I've been there before, and I have changed tires from Michelin and Firestone due to sidewall cracking like this. Not a situation that gives me the warm fuzzies when I am going to take the rig up to its full capabilities (and perhaps beyond) in your climate.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Yep, you did post about those tires before. And some thought they were fine, others did not. The one voice in there who is associated with the tire industry didn't exactly give them a vote of confidence.

I've been there before, and I have changed tires from Michelin and Firestone due to sidewall cracking like this. Not a situation that gives me the warm fuzzies when I am going to take the rig up to its full capabilities (and perhaps beyond) in your climate.
I think what I'm going to do is go to a different Discount Tire location (that they don't recognize me, I go in there too often) and say "do you think I should replace these tires?" And they'll ask if I bought them from them I'll tell them no. If they recommend on replacing them I'll say "ok then, replace them under my warranty through you guys"

These tires were replaces in October 2011 with the same brand/model of these tires. The others were cracking like this and splitting at the sidewall and Discount Tire replaced under warranty at 6 years old.

I always thought that each tire has their own dose of pressure in which it contribute best to car's performance. Using my Mountaincrest Digital Tire Gauge, I usually set my tire pressure slightly above 35. Well, it suits best for me. I guess, it's just a matter of experience with time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back