What old car would you convert to electric?

Watched a few episodes of a TV show where they convert classic sports cars to electric. I think they did a 60's or 70's Porsche. Don't really understand the appeal myself. You buy those cars to experience how they drove and rode originally. Sticking an electric motor into it is just making a hot rod and likely dropping its value considerably.
That's exactly why I picked my 75 LTD. Its already quiet with loads of tourqe. The only thing is needs is acceleration vs gaining momentum.

In 2000 or so Ford made a few Ranger electric.
It might be fun to find one of those for small money and upgrade the battery and charger to a modern spec.
Those used NiCd batteries and primitive charging(though not the paddle-based system the GM EV-1 used). NiMH wouldn’t be too much of a radical change, but no current PHEV/BEV uses NiMH chemistry. But, there’s people who did PHEV conversions on the 2nd gen Prius - though it used a plain Jane 120V household plug.

English sports cars. Fun to drive, but as dependable as weather.
gonna have to be a little more specific, many had solid powertrains and others were turds. last thing they need is more electricity.

a ditch seeking missile does sound nice though

Last edited:
Yeah, a TR4A would be pretty cool. Haven't seen one in years.
Always wanted one. Still do.
Maybe a small block Ford 302...

gonna have to be a little more specific, many had solid powertrains and others were turds. last thing they need is more electricity.

a ditch seeking missile does sound nice though
Lots of good memories there - Austin Healey 3000, MGA, Morgan, Jaguar XKE, Triumph Tr6, and the list goes on.
I swear their gaskets and seals were made of recycled corrugated paper. Lucas says enough in itself.
Lots of smiles though, unsafe but fun.

None of them. They were designed for the gas layout and forcefully convert one (not redesign one from ground up) means a lot of compromise, gets you a mule with the wrong weight balance, wrong torque, wrong look, wrong space, etc.

If you are only converting the shell onto a new platform then what's the point? It isn't really a "conversion" just a veneer transfer.

The only real reason to do these kind of "conversion" whether in auto or real estate (like those San Francisco Victorian lift up with new foundation, new garage, gut everything but roof and 1 wall) is to work around stupid regulation on new building vs remodeling / rebuild, or nostalgic reasons (I'm not a nostalgic person).

I would do a 60's Lincoln Continental convertible. For classics I think EV conversions lend themselves to old, body-on-frame luxury boats. The batteries can be made to fit right in between the frame rails. Take out the old tired oversized motor, do a direct tesla subframe/motor swap onto the ladder frame for the rear axle. Improves the handling and ride immensely with the modern subframe which lowers center of gravity and weight distribution evened out, and it will zip around silently.

I personally 100% do not see the appeal of swapping electric into old sports or muscle cars. The charm of those is experiencing a raw driving experience from that era, with all the noise, erratic handling, and rowing through gears. Old luxury cars in my mind are a perfect candidate, as they are supposed to be stylish and comfortable, a clean stock exterior Continental with a slightly futuristic resto mod interior silently cruising with improved handling sounds like a dream to me.

Last edited:
Always thought the xB in my sig would make a decent electric. There were some 1st gens converted when they were new-but the $55K price tag (on top of the ~$14K car cost) was a bit of a turn off!

The new Toyota/Subaru BEV platform in the Solterra would be fun to swap into a 1980s Supra or Cressida, or even more bizzare - the old Toyota Van(the US version of the Town Ace/Hi Ace). Hell, a Prius swap into a 1980s Corolla Tercel would be a hoot.

Maybe a 356B? I almost bought a perfect one, just like this, many years ago.
1642717185259.jpg

1982-84 RWD Cadillac or bustleback Seville with a bad HT4100 engine.
Or a 1960s-1970s Fleetwood/El Dorado/Brougham on the 60-series platform? If you use GM’s crate Bolt powertrain, the battery will fit in its entirety in the trunk. GM did bolt the Bolt’s motor to a THM400 or a 4L60E in their Blazer-E show car, I think a 6L90E would be a better match. HVAC might be a problem. The original Delco A6 displaced 207cc. The biggest electric AC compressor goes up to 150cc.

Given the shape of the RWD motor carriage, I’d think the mid and rear engine platforms would be the most elegant recipients? Boxter and the hardtop variant? VW vanagon or bus? Mr2? Fiero?

Back