What oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iam looking to swich both of my cars to an synthetic oil,both have high miles. volvo 1993 940 turbo with 133000 and a volvo 1991 240 with 193000,but has an newer engine with about 110000 on it.Should I be worrie about oil leaks?I need recommendations on synthetic oils?I will be allso have oil analysis done on these engines. Thank you

Because they are both higher milage vech. I would use what I use. Either Mobil 1 0-40 which I use in my Miata or Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 which I spike with one quart of Mobil 1 EP 15w-50 in my Honda Accord with 156,000 miles. There I said it I am now a blender of oils.
wink.gif

welcome.gif
, oilleakbill
Glad to have another old RWD Volvo owner here, and a local one at that! My current "ol' school swede" is a `93 245 w/234k miles.

You may already be well aware...but if oil leaks are a primary concern, be sure to clean your flame trap(s) regularly. If the PCV system has ever been neglected, you might want to consider cleaning out or replacing the oil trap(box below the flame trap) as well.
Volvo recommends 10W30 for these cars. My preference is 10W30 Valvoline MaxLife(dino), although I have used 5W30 MaxLife and 5W40 Castrol Syntec in the past.

I'm 100% sure AutoRx will help. Better piston seal is the #1 beni.

Necessary? - the NA version Volvo weezers need all the help they can get in the power department so in a sense, yes necessary. For switching oil, though, not necessary but the first few OCI's should be kept to 5-6K. With AutoRx 10K out of the gate (after final rinse) is possible. I did 10K with my Volvo turbo and the same 15W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back