What oil to use 13' Ford Explorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, Ive been doing quite a bit of research on here but figured I might as well start a thread to also introduce myself.

Currently running amsoil sig series 5w20 w/ 6k miles. Want to change to something within warranty specs just to get that warm fuzzy and because I havent really bought into the 15k oci. Im more comfortable at 5-7.5k,10k at the most. I only used amsoil because at the time I had a motorcycle, F150 and Ford Explorer that I felt would benefit from the membership but since then totaled the bike, sold the truck for a VW TDI( plan on all factory services) so keeping the amsoil subscription just for the SUV would be too much to justify.

Im completely open to any brands, I have been reading a lot of UOAs and have narrowed it down to Motorcraft 5w20 blend with MC filter, Mobil 1 with NapaGold/wix filter. Any other recommendations are appreciated.

Sorry for the rant! this is a great site with all sorts of great reads and info also wanted to say hi!

As proven by the used oil analysis posted on this site in regards to the Eco-boost engines any certified oil is able to go the distance,so use whichever brand has the better looking bottle and run the olm out to 10% or so.
You aren't doing the engine any favours by draining it early. Dumping serviceable oil just so you can pour in serviceable oil is hillarious.
Ford tested that engine and service interval and found it to be sound.
Unless you are privy to info we don't have and if so do tell.
And don't be afraid to wind it out often. Direct injection is leaving intake deposits behind on some engines and it's been concluded that increasing the air velocity past the intake valve can help. And besides,it's fun.
You can't go wrong with M1 in that truck. If EP meets fords requirement use that. It will ease your mind making you more comfortable with the prescribed interval.
Enjoy your new wheels

amsoil is great and all but since i would only be using it on 1 vehicle I dont want to pay for the S+H even at the discounted rate. Maybe once both my cars are out of warranty then I will switch back but until then i think im gonna take a break.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
As proven by the used oil analysis posted on this site in regards to the Eco-boost engines any certified oil is able to go the distance,so use whichever brand has the better looking bottle and run the olm out to 10% or so.
You aren't doing the engine any favours by draining it early. Dumping serviceable oil just so you can pour in serviceable oil is hillarious.
Ford tested that engine and service interval and found it to be sound.
Unless you are privy to info we don't have and if so do tell.
And don't be afraid to wind it out often. Direct injection is leaving intake deposits behind on some engines and it's been concluded that increasing the air velocity past the intake valve can help. And besides,it's fun.
You can't go wrong with M1 in that truck. If EP meets fords requirement use that. It will ease your mind making you more comfortable with the prescribed interval.
Enjoy your new wheels

+1000. A measured, honest and logical recommendation.

Originally Posted By: dothedrew1202
Im completely open to any brands, I have been reading a lot of UOAs and have narrowed it down to Motorcraft 5w20 blend with MC filter, Mobil 1 with NapaGold/wix filter.

Those would be my two oil recommendations. I use Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 with MC filter.

Originally Posted By: dothedrew1202
Mobil 1 with NapaGold/wix filter. Any other recommendations are appreciated.

Sorry for the rant! this is a great site with all sorts of great reads and info also wanted to say hi!

Good choice, can't go wrong with the mix of flavors that M1 has.

You didn't rant...welcome.

Redline makes the best Tranny fluid and fuel cleaner. NKG makes the best spark plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back