Oil for my old Ford Explorer 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite my wife's objections, I probably will never get rid of my old 2000 Ford Explorer 5.0 XLT. I mainly now use it to haul trash and whatnot. The body will probably rust away before the engine or trans gives out. It has just a couple hundred miles short of 300,000 miles on it.
Back when the whole Ford switch of 5W20 vs 5W30 was a big thing to talk about, I switched to 5W20 because of supposed better gas mileage. Most know that the old 5.0 Explorers were gas suckers.
Well now, I could care less about gas mileage. I just want something to help the engine last and be long lasting since I hardly drive it.
Any recommendations for my old Explorer?

Originally Posted by ddhmax1973
Despite my wife's objections, I probably will never get rid of my old 2000 Ford Explorer 5.0 XLT. I mainly now use it to haul trash and whatnot. The body will probably rust away before the engine or trans gives out. It has just a couple hundred miles short of 300,000 miles on it.
Back when the whole Ford switch of 5W20 vs 5W30 was a big thing to talk about, I switched to 5W20 because of supposed better gas mileage. Most know that the old 5.0 Explorers were gas suckers.
Well now, I could care less about gas mileage. I just want something to help the engine last and be long lasting since I hardly drive it.
Any recommendations for my old Explorer?

I guess it will blow up on 5W-20 at 301,222 miles...
smile.gif

If it were mine, I'd buy Mobil 1 Extended Perf. HM 0W-20 (on rebate), which is on a thick side for a 20W and not worry about changing it all that often...

I use whatever Grp III 10W-30 I can find cheapest in my '97 5.0 Explorer, run about a 7500 mi. OCI. Has 310k and going strong.

Given your location, I'd stick with a 5W-30 year round, probably Harvest King or Supertech. Both of those are so cheap, there's no real reason not to run a synthetic.

Heck since you're in Indiana, swing by a Rural King or Big R (sister stores) and buy a 2 gallon jug of Harvest King 5W40 "All Fleet" syn for $30. Maxlife 5W30 (or heavier... you can find ML 10W40 at Orscheln's) is a great choice as well.

I used to own a 99. One of the best vehicles I have owned. That version 5.0 is a great engine. I ran 10w30 in mine here in San Diego.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back