2017 F150 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have another question. I have an opportunity to acquire Royal Purple HPS 5w30 from a business owner who's closing his shop. He will sell cases of oil for $50 per case. They are normally $100 per case. Would I be good to run this oil despite not being API certified ? Its too good of a deal to pass up I think. I can buy a couple cases for what regular Dino cost per quart basically & have enough oil for about 3 years worth of oil changes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fasttimez
I have another question. I have an opportunity to acquire Royal Purple HPS 5w30 from a business owner who's closing his shop. He will sell cases of oil for $50 per case. They are normally $100 per case. Would I be good to run this oil despite not being API certified ? Its too good of a deal to pass up I think. I can buy a couple cases for what regular Dino cost per quart basically & have enough oil for about 3 years worth of oil changes.
Originally Posted By: Fasttimez

I wouldn't do that until you're past factory warranty. Not saying it will hurt the engine but if you need warranty work you want to be able to say you followed ford spec

Mobil 1 can be had for about $12 a 5qt jug after rebate. Buy 2 and a Fram ultra and run 10k oci. You'll have 2qt or so for top off as needed

Last edited:
I have a 2014 Mustang GT and use 5W-20 Motorcraft blend. Car has 25,000 miles on it and runs fine. My first oil change was at 4,600 miles and one year from the build date of the car. I've used the OLM or one year since then. The most I've driven is 7,200 in a year.

My fiance's son has a 2014 F150 with the 5.0 that he bought new. It has always run 5W-20 Motorcraft blend in it and he goes by the OLM which is always close to 10,000 miles. Truck has about 102,000 miles on it and runs very strong with no problems. He didn't change the oil early and went almost 10,000 on the original oil fill. He works for the railroad and travels a lot and is the reason for the high mileage. I will say that he doesn't baby this truck and drives the [censored] out of it. He was 18 years old when he bought it so you can imagine how it's been driven.

Off topic but I will say that this truck has been pretty bullet proof. Has not been back to the dealer for any warranty work in the almost three years that he has had it and he has only replaced the front brake pads and the tires once and that is it.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back