What oil to run on my Suzuki s40

6,000 miles is the oci recommended I believe.

Thanks! You have the awesome benefit of the well established S40 forum. I'm sure you are a member by now.

What Papa Bear shared earlier from that forum is probably years worth of discussion summed up very nicely. Pick an HDEO in 15W40 that has a good zinc content and go with it.

I second the idea of T4 15w40, as an air cooled single will contaminate the oil and make it dirty much sooner than a more modern liquid coolant engine before you make it halfway to the recommended 6,000 mile OCI most likely. The benefit of a longer oil change interval with a synthetic as it relates to holding viscosity and shift quality is a moot point once the oil is dirty.

Keep the updates coming, this is an enjoyable thread.

Other than peace of mind, when oil is changed at 1,500 miles at the end of a riding season because that is all the bike was used, analysis shows pretty well that miles, not time, are the main cause for oil to wear out. This is shown through analysis many times on this forum despite manufacturers saying to change it once a year even if the mileage threshold is not reached, whether a car or motorcycle. When the bike is run up to operating temperature before the off-season, there is nothing an oil with lower miles won’t protect from that a fresh change would do any better. It may not be a popular way to look at it because we all want to feel good about how we treat our machines, however I believe evidence is on that side of the discussion.
Depends on how ridden. If 2 miles a day 5 days a week, that oil would probably be done @ 2000 miles (especially if a carb bike). If ridden every few weekends for 100 miles at a time, then it is probably fine up to the OEM interval.

Depends on how ridden. If 2 miles a day 5 days a week, that oil would probably be done @ 2000 miles (especially if a carb bike). If ridden every few weekends for 100 miles at a time, then it is probably fine up to the OEM interval.
Agree, I wasn’t meaning to imply the extreme short trip warm-up scenario was not worthy of consideration however that typically is not what most motorcycle oils endure. Bikes that get out each week for the summer months and end up with 1500 miles on the oil are disposing of oil sooner than needed is what I was hoping to get across. (y)

Last edited:
Any personal recommendation? So basically a decent Diesel engine oil?
In your climate, as someone has mentioned, I would use the Valvoline Conventional 20w50 motorcycle oil. I was happy with it in my Suzuki C50.
I think oil in a shared sump has there things against it, the engine part with combustion and the primary part with clutch material, throw in the transmission metals too and why I changed my oil every 2000 to 3000 miles on my shared sumps bikes, actually I kind of do that in my non shared sump RK too, though I do not change the primary or transmission oil at those intervals and perfectly fine if I run longer on the engine, but I tend to change because of seasons, more then mileage, much like a boat, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited:
My bike is an 2005 it calls for 10w40 should I stick with that? My main concern is timing chain slack. I have read these are common for the chain to stretch and the adjuster to fail. I have 18,000 on mine and I can't tell if it's been done or not. The case doesn't look like it's been opened up. What oil would be best in this situation and how often to change it?
I bought a 2019 this year, running ST 20w50 V Twin hoping to mitigate cam drive wear. FYI a friend put over 30k on one of these no cam tensioner fail.

I bought a 2019 this year, running ST 20w50 V Twin hoping to mitigate cam drive wear. FYI a friend put over 30k on one of these no cam tensioner fail.
Another good thought as to running 20w50, seems it’s hard to find a reason not to run either 20w50 or 15w40. Has anyone seen a VOA or UOA of ST 20w50 VTwin?

I did the oil change today with t15w40 and it immediately shifted smoother. I was surprised at the level of difference but I definitely felt a noticeable difference.

tight budget...10w-40 conventional bike oil on sale or respected 15w-40 hdeo oil

better budget...10w-40 synthetic blend or full synthetic bike oil

oil filter...oem Suzuki replacement or HiFlo Filtro

iirc...most metric cruiser/standard bike engines have automatic chain tension adjusters to minimize maintenance; I would contact a suzuki powersports dealer or trusted independent shop with concerns of timing chsin lash

When going with a HDEO for wet sump bikes, make sure it meets JASO MA/MA2 for wet sump compatibility. T4/T5/T6 are self-certified and well proven there.

For a higher end oil Motul 7100 ticks off all of my checkboxes.

Great choice for a starter bike! At 18K it's probably due for a valve adjustment.

Back