What oil should I use 2016 Mazda 6 Skyactiv 2.5L non turbo?

Hello Gents! I recently purchased a 2016 Mazda 6 2.5L non turbo - my first Di engine which is due for an oil change- what oil would be best for my application? USA manual calls for 0w20 while any other parts of the world uses 5w30 and 5w30 is what I plan to use. I come from Toyota's and Honda's which were not picky with oil but I have heard that skyactiv engines like high Moly and low NOACK? Also I want to add this is my daily driver, I drive about 13 miles to work each way so I don't get the run it that long or get it up to highway speeds often. Which oil is best to run in these engines? I don't mind spending a few extra dollars but would prefer to use oil that I could source locally or maybe amazon as long as it has higher moly.
I would use Quaker State full synthetic 10W30 to get a heavier base oil in the blend for the D.I.

It's a great oil. I ran Valvoline Advanced 5W30 in my Mazda/ Ford 2.0 D.I motor and it did not like it at all

Don't forget about Motorcraft 5W20 SS which should be fine in there for the colder seasons.

QS FS specs

QSFS 10W30.jpg

I had a 2018 Mazda6 w/ the 2.5NA in it. I ran all sorts of brands and viscosities. 0w-20, 0w-30, 5w-20/30, and 0w-40 for the hell of it. The engine never cared.

You could probably run olive oil and it wouldn't care (slightly sarcastic, but I do wonder...)

Just get a decent brand name oil in 0W-20 or 5w-30. These engines are tanks.

Does your vehicle spec an oil filter having an anti drain back valve?
I don't know if the Mazda OE filter has an ADBV although I think I read that it doesn't.
All of the aftermarket filters* spec'd do have one so I don't think it does any harm. My inlaw has
215K on her 2015 CX-5 and I doubt it's had more than 2 or 3 OE filters in it's life (when she took it to the dealer for OCs early in it's life.)

* I think Wix makes a filter that doesn't have an ADBV for Mazda applications.

I had a 2018 Mazda6 w/ the 2.5NA in it. I ran all sorts of brands and viscosities. 0w-20, 0w-30, 5w-20/30, and 0w-40 for the hell of it. The engine never cared.

You could probably run olive oil and it wouldn't care (slightly sarcastic, but I do wonder...)

Just get a decent brand name oil in 0W-20 or 5w-30. These engines are tanks.

What about gas mileage and oil viscosity ?

In addition to correct oils for DI engines isn't some kind of cleaning product (a spray) for the intake system needed too?
I'm also not trying to highjack a thread here.
I plan to use Amsoil P.I gasoline additive every oil change, maybe more often.

the valvoline EP HM is my favorite off the shelf oil. i can hear an audible difference in the vehicles i put this stuff in not to mention a very nice looking add pack and like recently discovered is using a significant amount of GTL base stocks.

the R&P makes very nice claims about cleaning up an older engine so i’m running it with HPL EC30 in fleet vehicles that were before me dealer/quick lube maintained aswell as ran well over on OCI’s. even if it doesn’t do what it says it does it’s still a decent looking oil on paper.

HPL is for those that want the absolute best in protection. it isn’t blended to “meet” certifications rather based on the certifications and made better. only the finest base stocks and additives are used. the oil is also full of AN/ester meaning it will clean like no other. look into @wwillson and how far his durango took their HDEO. amsoil is also a very fine product that will take great care of your engine over extended drains. if you have any questions about amsoil, reach out to @Pablo.
Where do you purchase HPL oil?

Curious what makes you run such a premium oil in your 03 accord? That K24 should run 200-300k plus on any oil, not?
the major reason is to extend the OCI’s. the woman drives 75 miles daily for work and 5k oil changes come quick. the second is to support HPL and their ideals. better protection over longer intervals than standard oils

It checked every box you listed and wanted out of a oil and more is it a hair more than a run of the mill of the shelf oil
sure but not by much.
I could be wrong, and looking at a different oil. But the HPL I saw was about $100+ after shipping (I'm in USA), so that's like 4x more than "Rum of the mill off the shelf oil".

I could be wrong, and looking at a different oil. But the HPL I saw was about $100+ after shipping (I'm in USA), so that's like 4x more than "Rum of the mill off the shelf oil".
Yeah I am seeing $89.24 for 6x1 Quart of the 5W-30 PCMO. Not even the premium stuff. Almost $15/qt after shipping and tax. While I admit it is a better oil vs Mobil 1, is it that much better? Furthermore, is it 3x better at preventing wear than Super tech which is less than $5/qt at my local WalMart? Will my engine be 3x cleaner or run 3x longer?

Not going to knock anyone for choosing the best oil they can for their engines. That's the great thing about having so much product choice. But for my money it's not worth it.

Yeah I am seeing $89.24 for 6x1 Quart of the 5W-30 PCMO. Not even the premium stuff. Almost $15/qt after shipping and tax. While I admit it is a better oil vs Mobil 1, is it that much better? Furthermore, is it 3x better at preventing wear than Super tech which is less than $5/qt at my local WalMart? Will my engine be 3x cleaner or run 3x longer?

Not going to knock anyone for choosing the best oil they can for their engines. That's the great thing about having so much product choice. But for my money it's not worth it.
Yea agreed. It probably is excellent. I don't Rum super long OCI so the value for HPL and Amsoil is not there.

I've been running 0W-40 or 5W-40 in our 2016 CX-5 since about a month after we got it, because thats usually what I have on hand at oil change time. Idles so quiet you can barely hear it and it gets about 30 mpg on the highway. I dont think the 2.5 Skyactiv cares what oil you use.

Back