What oil should I run in my new Mustang GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, PYB is likely just as good as Motorcraft. A lot of "conventional oils" are really a blend of some kind. PYB, just like Motorcraft, meets Ford's WSS specs for the motor oils. If you want to upgrade from PYB, why stop at Motorcraft? Go full synthetic at least. PP, Mobil 1, QSUD, whatever.

It really depends on how you use the car. If the car is driven 10,000 miles or more a year, then I'd settle for once a year oil change with a synthetic oil and a really nice oil filter, like Fram Ultra. If the car is driven in a very cold climate, I'd consider a 0W20 as long as it meets Ford's spec. If the car is driven 5000-6000 miles a year, a conventional would work out pretty nicely for a once a year OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Motorcraft 5w50 synthetic would be a good choice if you're going to be rough.

Does the manual allow anything stouter than 5w20?

Ford doesn't recommend anything heavier than the spec' 5W-20 even for track use. In fact it's counter-productive to use anything heavier and certainly not the 5W-50.
What Ford does recommend if you're tracking your car is installing the optional oil cooler if you're routinely seeing high oil temp's.

It is going to be a fair weather car and not a daily driver so I'm not sure how many miles per year it will get. I only drove the 2004 Monte Carlo SS that I traded in on it 13,000 miles in the almost four years I owned it and it was not a daily driver or bad weather driven car either. This car is more enjoyable to drive so I'm sure it will get driven more than the Monte was.

This car gives the percentage of oil left in the message center but I doubt I will go by that. I'll probably do 5,000 miles or one year.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd
It is going to be a fair weather car and not a daily driver so I'm not sure how many miles per year it will get. I only drove the 2004 Monte Carlo SS that I traded in on it 13,000 miles in the almost four years I owned it and it was not a daily driver or bad weather driven car either. This car is more enjoyable to drive so I'm sure it will get driven more than the Monte was.

This car gives the percentage of oil left in the message center but I doubt I will go by that. I'll probably do 5,000 miles or one year.

Wayne

The oil life monitors on ford NA engines is already conservative. You aren't more in tune with the engines needs than it is. It is a high tech system that creates and follows an algorithm based on ambient temps,driving rpms and idle times and oil temps.
You don't need to overthink,or even think about this one. Just follow the meter. It's just that simple.
And break it in with load. That means high gear and lots of throttle and use the gears to engine brake. This will seat your rings well and you'll never have to worry about the #8 cylinder and its problems.
Remember. If you want a weak engine break it in weak.

Break in the 5.0 hard the first 25 miles and it is broken in. High gear high throttle opening high load low rpm. Ring seating needs to be done soon. After that Pennzoil Ultra 5w20. Why skimp and save 20 bucks per change on a 30,000 dollar vehicle. And don't do a 10k OCI unless you run on the highway long trips. I'd advise 6-8k depending on your driving conditions.

Wix filter

I have about 250 miles on the car so far but haven't got into it real hard. Car already had about 58 miles on it when I bought it. I guess I need to get on it hard a few times.

I guess I'll try to follow the oil change meter but old habits die hard and I didn't follow it on the 2004 Monte Carlo SS that I traded in. Thanks for the input everyone.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd
I just bought a new 2014 Mustang GT with the 5.0 in it. While I don't need to change the oil for awhile yet, I wanted to get some other people's thoughts on a good oil for this engine. It calls for a 5W-20.

I currently run PYB in all of my vehicles and will probably run it in this car unless there is some other oil that you think might work better. I'm not very familiar with this engine at all. I'm typically a GM guy and this is my first Ford product since my first car(72 Ford LTD) back when I was 18. Thanks for any thoughts.

Wayne

I would run Kendall GT-1 full synthetic 5W20 and use a Motorcraft filter. Kendall oil is made by the same company( CP )but it has a better additive package. It meets all of your warranty requirements as well( i.e. API and Ford oil spec ).

Can be had for under $5 a qt shipped if you have no suppliers in your area. I just got 2 cases of the 5W20 shipped in for my Brother as he got a new Ford truck and it was sort of a congratulations on the new truck present. Total cost was just $111.53 shipped so $4.64 a qt.

Kendall is an excellent oil. One of the most under appreciated brands on the market.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Ford doesn't recommend anything heavier than the spec' 5W-20 even for track use. In fact it's counter-productive to use anything heavier and certainly not the 5W-50.
What Ford does recommend if you're tracking your car is installing the optional oil cooler if you're routinely seeing high oil temp's.

Agreed, the track pack specs 5w-50 not the regular GT. The Track Pack has slightly different parts inside the engine. Their was a UOA on here a bit ago of a GT running M1 0w-20 on couple track days, the wear was very very low.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Agreed, the track pack specs 5w-50 not the regular GT. The Track Pack has slightly different parts inside the engine. Their was a UOA on here a bit ago of a GT running M1 0w-20 on couple track days, the wear was very very low.

What "slightly different parts"? It was my understanding the engine was the exact same and just fitted with an oil cooler
21.gif

The BOSS 302 engine on the other hand is a bit different. Though still VERY similar.

If truly concerned about oil temps and wear use M1 0w-40 for track days. SteveSRT uses it with 300f temps commonly seen and no wear issues,or any issues at all.
A friend bought a new mustang last spring. We beat the heck out of it for break in. Oil temps over 290 and the engine didn't go into limp mode.
Ford has this figured out. Use a good 20 grade and forget about it.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
If truly concerned about oil temps and wear use M1 0w-40 for track days. SteveSRT uses it with 300f temps commonly seen and no wear issues,or any issues at all.
A friend bought a new mustang last spring. We beat the heck out of it for break in. Oil temps over 290 and the engine didn't go into limp mode.
Ford has this figured out. Use a good 20 grade and forget about it.

Yes I do, and I only have a seven quart sump.

OP, with 8 quarts on board you likely won't need more than a cooler to enjoy your track sessions without fear of damage. That is a stout engine, well designed. Use it!

My buddy runs M1 EP and a P1 filter in his 12' GT. If you run these engines hard they are notorious for oil consumption. my buddies' Mustang burns a quart every 1,500 miles, but he drives the thing like a maniac (cruises around town at 4k rpm and always wringing the engine out at the 7,000 rpm redline). Ford tech told us the piston oil squirters also contribute to the oil use. But if it were my car I think I would stick to all Motorcraft...

Originally Posted By: 6lbsoft
My buddy runs M1 EP and a P1 filter in his 12' GT. If you run these engines hard they are notorious for oil consumption. my buddies' Mustang burns a quart every 1,500 miles, but he drives the thing like a maniac (cruises around town at 4k rpm and always wringing the engine out at the 7,000 rpm redline). Ford tech told us the piston oil squirters also contribute to the oil use. But if it were my car I think I would stick to all Motorcraft...

How do the piston cooling jets contribute to consumption. And those driving habits don't necessarily mean high oil consumption.
I drive my mustangs extremely hard,and my charger is getting driven hard too without any noticeable oil consumption.
Heck I've got 5w-20 in my 88 5.0 that specifies a 30 grade. The first 1000-1500 miles I added a quart of oil but since then I've not seen any more consumption.
I've got motor oil saver and mos2 in the sump and this is my second run of 5w-20 but before this I had mos2 in the sump and motor oil saver with the RP 10w-30 and the 40-50 grades that were in it to attemp to stop the rear main seal leak that has successfully under coated the car.
Anyways my 4v consumes no oil. My friends(which we broke in really hard) consumes no oil whatsoever. Its got a 6 speed manual and a 5.0,so your friends consumption is not normal.
I'd be looking for a different 20 grade to try and stop the consumption. And oil consumption will inevitably foul cats as well as plugs and may lead to combustion chamber deposits.
I'd ditch the M1EP and try something else that the engine doesn't consume. He's obviously not very smart to start with,spending more money on a long drain oil when he can extend the drain intervals which is the only reason to buy EP in the first place.
I'd love to hear the response as to why he runs a long drain oil but has to change it according to warranty requirements.
And I've never heard of the coyote being "notorious" for consuming oil when driven hard. Sounds like an oil quality issue to be honest.

"Notorious"? Sounds like someone spends too much time on the Stang forums.

The Coyote is just like any V8, it can burn oil but the overwhelming majority do not.

I own a "notorious" oil burner that never uses a drop even with HPDE's at 300 degree oil temps. I got me some oil squirters, too!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

"Notorious"? Sounds like someone spends too much time on the Stang forums.

The Coyote is just like any V8, it can burn oil but the overwhelming majority do not.

I own a "notorious" oil burner that never uses a drop even with HPDE's at 300 degree oil temps. I got me some oil squirters, too!

We talked to a guy in the service dept. at Star Ford, he said there have been complaints with some 5.0's using excessive oil. I do think my buddy however, contributed to the excessive oil use with his 2012. From day one he had the gas pedal buried in that car.

I've taken the advice here and have got "on it" a few times to seat the rings. I now have about 676 miles on it. I've still not decided for sure what oil to run. I'm leaning toward the MC semi-synthetic since it's easily available at Walmart. I would possibly consider the full MC synthetic but I guess the only place I could get it would be at the dealer and who knows how much that would be.

I talked to the local dealer about what I should run and he said that MC semi-synthetic would be fine and that he would change the factory fill oil at 3,000 miles and change every 6,000 after that. He said he wouldn't go the supposed 10,000 miles. Anyway, thanks for all of the input.

Wayne

Just an update: I took the car on vacation to Galveston TX from the Springfield MO area and the car performed flawlessly. It currently has 3,100 miles on it and I still have the factory fill oil in it.

It's used about 3/4 of a quart since new but some of that is getting caught in the oil catch can I installed. In about the first 250 miles the can was on there, it caught about a teaspoon of oil. I've put about 2,500 miles on the car since and have not checked the can yet so I don't know how much is in there now.

I'm still undecided on what oil to run or how long to run the factory fill. I'm getting all kinds of different answers on that. Anyway, I'm really enjoying this car. The funnest car I have every owned.

Wayne

I ran across this thread again and thought I would update everyone on what oil I did use.

I changed the oil in early March with a little over 4,700 miles on the original oil fill and the OLM was at 43%. The car was right at a year old and is why I changed the oil when I did.

I used Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend with the Motorcraft FL500s filter.

I've decided I will go with the OLM or one year, whichever happens first.

I only drove the car about 700 miles from the beginning of November until the beginning of March when I changed it. The bad weather this winter kept the car pretty much garaged the entire time.

The car is a blast to drive and will get a lot more use in the coming months.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back