What oil for 2 honda 160s and a 5 HP snowblower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Would like to run one oil for all three of my small engines. I have looked into both Amsoil 4 stroke oil and Rotella T5.

I have ran Rotella in my truck for about the last three years and have had zero problems. Just wondering if the T5 would be a good choice, or if I will need to spend the extra bucks on the Amsoil.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Kevin

Last edited:
IIRC the Honda snowblower calls for a 5W-30 synthetic. If the 160's are lawnmowers, I'd second the T5. The 5W will give you easier starting in the snowblower. Not that the 10W would be bad, it's just less strain on the cranking system (rope or motor) and the oil will sling easier for the start.

i have a honda 160 gcv engine too and its running left over mobil1 clean5000 10w30 for years without a problem. next fill might be either left over half quarts of amsoil or pennzoil ultra 5w30

You don't have a snowblower in TX do you? I usually go a tad thinner with the oil with a snowblower than a lawnmower.

10W-30 T5 should be good for the mowers. I'd use Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30 in all of them myself, snowblower included. The High Mileage is still SF, or at least my jug at home is, which is why I prefer it over other choices.

Originally Posted By: KevinsDMAX
Hello,

Would like to run one oil for all three of my small engines. I have looked into both Amsoil 4 stroke oil and Rotella T5.

I have ran Rotella in my truck for about the last three years and have had zero problems. Just wondering if the T5 would be a good choice, or if I will need to spend the extra bucks on the Amsoil.

Kevin

Amsoil 0-40 4 stroke oil is excellent in my Honda engine. No smoke going quickly from slow idle to high rpm and the mower seems to have a bit more power for long grass.

Hello,

Kevin

I have the Formula Four Stroke SAE 30 in my mowers and lawn equipment, as well as my stand by generator. Should be good down to -18F, I would feel alright with the Amsoil unless your temperatures will be colder than that.

The weight I was looking at for the T5 was 10W30.

I do run Pennzoil Platinum in my wife's Suburban. Could I use that in them with no problems? If so, that will be easier so I would only have to stock one oil.

I also have a Honda inverter 2000 generator that calls for a 5W30. I know that the Amsoil is a 10W but wasn't planning on running in the extreme cold. But it the PP would work for all three, that is what I'll be going with.

As for the snowblower...my wife and I are both E-7's in the USAF and we have been relocated to the interior of Alaska (Fairbanks).

I do run Pennzoil Platinum in my wife's Suburban. Could I use that in them with no problems?

Absolutely.

Any of the synthetic 5W-30 or 10W-30's are great. But my absolute favorite is the Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck. It has plenty of ZDDP (1200 or so) it's a HTHS oil and has a high TBN. All of which are ideal for air cooled engines.

I use it with excellent results in my OPE.

If I think about it, I'll put some 5W-40TDT in the chest freezer and compare it's -10F viscosity to a synthetic 5W-20M1 EP. Should be interesting...

I have two quarts of left over Amsoil 5W30 HDD from when I did a run with it in my truck. Would that oil be ok to run in these as well?

I ran PP in an older Craftsman mower and shortly after I started having consumption issues, so I thought that I might have done something wrong, so I went away from synthetics and stuck with 30w just to make sure...maybe it was just a 10+yr old mower and the synthetics cleaned it out and started the leak.

Putin quarts of oil in a freezer set to very cold is a great way to find out what how those oils flow when very cold. I remember many years ago when friends and I started working on cars, one of them was a refrigeration repair person, and had a extra cold deep freezer that was just repaired. I remember when he removed several different types of oil from that freezer and shook them. Only a few flowed well enough that you could hear the oil move in the bottle when it was shaken.

FAIRBANKS? Are you ready for 60 degrees below zero? I'd think you'd want a 0W-30 in that snowblower, and everything else.

I put Castrol Syntec 0W30 in my Honda HS35.The manual specifies 5W30.
I am thinking of adding 0W30 in my HS621 also.

This 0W instead of 5 is OK or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back