What oil filter to go with?

I have been using Mobil 1 oil filters but noticed they are now rated to 30 microns (i seem to recall they were rated to 20 microns, though maybe i am mis-remembering?).

The price has doubled so wondering what to go with since i used up my stash.

I drive an 05 Toyota Echo, Mobil 1 synthetic oil, usually change at 6 months or 8,000km.
Typically 6 months since i don't do that many kms, though mostly highway when i do. Location is Southern Ontario.
Prefer better filtering than 30 microns if possible.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I remember hearing many times over the years how Fram was not that great, though no data to back that up.
I have no data on OEM Toyota filtering capabilities, are they better than 30 microns?
There’s a good thread bouncing around of all the filters that are 99%+ @ 20 microns. Pick any of them and motor on.

And yes, Fram Ultras, while not constructed the same as when they became the board darling, are still very, very good filters. It would be hard to find a better balance of price, performance, and availability than the Ultra.

There’s a good thread bouncing around of all the filters that are 99%+ @ 20 microns. Pick any of them and motor on.

And yes, Fram Ultras, while not constructed the same as when they became the board darling, are still very, very good filters. It would be hard to find a better balance of price, performance, and availability than the Ultra.
Got a link to this thread?

Just saw this. Thanks Subie. To @Bart_9 , I used to like the Fram Ultra but since they got rid of the metal screen back up, I’m not as Impressed.

The Canadian Tire Motomaster OE Plus Filters are made by Champ and are much like the Champ XL, and are priced well, especially if you catch the monthly sale.

I would also check Rock Auto, www.rockauto.com because you can toggle to CDN dollars and they have figured out the cross border shipping and made it pretty transparent. You can experiment with the numbers of filters to find the best value.

I also like the Napa Gold, and you can ask at the counter if they are going to have their annual Napa Gold sale. They have a CAA discount.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:
Just saw this. Thanks Subie. To @Bart_9 , I used to like the Fram Ultra but since they got rid of the metal screen back up, I’m not as Impressed. The Canadian Tire Motomaster OE Plus Filters are made by Champ and are much like the Champ XL, are priced well, especially if you catch the monthly sale. I would also check Rock Auto, www.rockauto.com because you can toggle to CDN dollars and they have figured out the cross border shipping and made it pretty transparent. You can experiment with the numbers of filters to find the best value. I also like the Napa Gold, which you can ask at the counter if they are going to have their annual Napa Gold sale. They have a CAA discount.

Good luck. :)
To be honest i am not a fan of Rock Auto (or Amazon) and prefer to buy from a B&M store (if practical).
Are the CT OE filters better than the Mobil 1 (better than 99% at 30 micron)?

To be honest i am not a fan of Rock Auto (or Amazon) and prefer to buy from a B&M store (if practical).
Are the CT OE filters better than the Mobil 1 (better than 99% at 30 micron)?
For sure trying to get deals from Amazon.ca sucks. I have no idea why it doesn’t work as well as Amazon.com. The detail on the OE plus is not as clear. The OE Plus is 1/2 the cost of the Mobil 1.

A99D536E-7706-498D-8B3B-7482B618A68A.png
2A99A90B-2ABE-4D4C-B4DA-FE1A08B176A9.png

Last edited:
That's because Toyota used shorter filters on some of their cars :sneaky:

The correct shorty size for your Echo is 2-OTT001, and the other one is here

The part numbers I gave you before are longer. Some people on here like to replace the shorties with longer filters
Interesting, didn't know taller was an option.
In my case since i rarely even drive 8,000km i think the standard size is fine, though it does not state filtration efficiency on either filter.

If you’re going to continue six month interval (a waste IMO) then just use a basic filter like the red Motomaster. If you want to extend to 12 month intervals like the majority of vehicles then the Moto OE filter makes more sense.

If you’re going to continue six month interval (a waste IMO) then just use a basic filter like the red Motomaster. If you want to extend to 12 month intervals like the majority of vehicles then the Moto OE filter makes more sense.
If OP is only getting 8k km per year, it may be overkill to be overkill to change at 6 mos, but he doesn’t have a UOA to tell him what’s going on with the oil. It’s likely he’s fine, but if he’s concerned and doesn’t want to pay for UOA, short changes are a safe bet.

OP, even at 6 mo intervals on the oil, any “brand name” filter should be good to go; you could simply drain the oil, leave the filter, and refill the sump with new oil. Have you considered just a single UOA on your oil at the 12mo/8k km point to make sure your oil choice is properly protecting your engine? I do agree with Jimmy that you could likely save yourself some time and money if the UOA shows the oil is still in grade and there is no contamination, antifreeze, or excessive fuel.

Good luck on the filters; even the current Mobil one you’re using should be good out to ~32k km (conversion?) but obviously finer filtering will result in cleaner oil and ultimately less wear.

I am just looking for better filtering than the Mobil 1 filter and if possible lower price.

Back